dealer blaming bad fuel for dpf failure!!..2nd. one in 8 months

forrest resto`s

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta tdi auto rc2 2013 passat tdi 2015 passat tdi auto 2011 jetta tdi nav. s'roof..man. dpf delete 1970 GTO JUDGE 520 HP
Posted in dieselgate thread also...2011 jetta manual.. 68,000 miles.. Well.. had the dpf and egr filter replaced 8 months ago under emissions warranty..no problem..with loaner and all..driven around 8000 miles since..codes came back (p2002p 0401) a few weeks ago..took to dealer (Bought 3 tdi's from them, all fixed)..been great up to this point.been there for a week..just got a call and said bad fuel caused it!..Now..I live in the country..use the same places for fuel all the time..they used a "in house test" (you know the tube test)..I'm pissed..2nd dfp in 8 months put around 50,000+ miles on it before the fix since I bought it no problems at all!..no problems since I bought it 6- 7 years ago..and then THE FIX!..?? told them I wanted to see them pull the fuel and a thorough analyses done ..said I will have to go thru corporate ..must return the loaner today...any ideas what to do next?:mad:..then who;s to say they did not "add" a little somethin to my tank while there!??

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
What did they say was wrong with the fuel? Haven't heard of bad fuel causing a DPF failure. I'd be interested in their correlation of fuel quality to DPF failure, unless it's not ULSD. If the place you buy is pumping high sulfur fuel through a ULSD pump they're liable for damages, I'd think.

forrest resto`s

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta tdi auto rc2 2013 passat tdi 2015 passat tdi auto 2011 jetta tdi nav. s'roof..man. dpf delete 1970 GTO JUDGE 520 HP
Thanx Indigo..Just got back from dealer..refused to draw anymore fuel for testing..report says quote "test dpf and worksheet per vta test plan,found everything passing with test plan..per vta tested fuel quality and density..density passed BUT quality failed...vta case # blah blah... will need gas tank drained and cleaned and dpf & egr cooler replaced..customer declined repairs" gave a b/w picture of the test tube being tested..nothing to see really sooo...this is bull sh!!t!..I filled up the car few weeks before going there ( codes were there weeks before that)..used 3/4 tank when I brought it there..gee wonder why the hpfp didn't blow also!...soo..anything I need to say to corporate besides the obvious??..e.g.drove it for 7 years ..no problems..got fix..700 miles later dpf failed..repaired...7000 miles later failed again..wife and daughter buy same fuel as me..both drive 5 times more mileage than me also, no problems with theirs . I only have 68,000 miles on a 2011! and 2 dpf failures in 8000 miles since fix..Thanx ya'll for any advise going forward..will call corp..

Last edited:

andreigbs

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
I’d fight them by taking it to a different dealer for the diagnosis, and I’d also pull my own fuel sample for testing by independent lab for confirmation. That being said, I don’t see how a DPF and EGR failed because of fuel, yet the HPFP and finicky injectors are fine. Something doesn’t add up.

When you call corporate, remind them of these things and then of the fact that the extended warranty verbiage says that all disputes are to be resolved in the favor of the customer. That alone should cover your repairs.

CleverUserName

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 OZ Cruze CTD & 2010 JSW 6MT & 2017 GMC Canyon CCLB ATX 2.8 Duramax
Get the fuel tested yourself. Amsoil sells a diesel fuel test kit. So does FOI labs. Taking it to another dealer is a waste of time.

forrest resto`s

Veteran Member
TDI
Thans guys..also posted this in the diesel gate thread,,..more info there..Yea, the "bad fuel" excuse is nonsense,anyway the dealer notified me Fri. that more than likely it will be approved/repaired on them (I called corp..they called dealer) will hopefully get definitive answer Mon. I talked with a couple of very knowledgeable people "in the know" said could be a corrupt file upon the mod./fix. installation or an air leak (boost,intake) causing this..soo..I'll let everyone know the results as I get them.. Thanx!

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
What's important here is that the dealer finds the real cause of the DPF failure and fixes it so it doesn't happen again. That may be a challenge.

andreigbs

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
^^^ which is why I implied they’re not trustworthy to continue working on your car. What are the chances they’ll cut corners, possibly mess up something else or find something unrelated for which to charge you? It’s good that corporate makes them fix it, but any other dealer would have to follow the same direction. I just don’t trust that one.

forrest resto`s

Veteran Member
TDI
Yea.. they have have a problem there.. mentioned this in the other thread....Interesting note..my car went in with 67,720 miles on the odo...on the report says it came in with 67,135 miles on the odo..600 miles difference..hmmm..what's up with that??..also the airbag light came on on the way home.. wasn't on before I went in..go figure:confused:..anyway we'll see:D.. Thanx again all! I did a scan a few days before I brought it there, printed it out, gave it to them.. it showed no airbag issue..just days before they got it..as far as dpf..just think'n..if it happens again..what excuse could they come up with? Gonna have to get something in writing when they are finished..LOL!

Last edited:

forrest resto`s

Veteran Member
TDI
It's finalized for Gods sake!... whewww!.. approved for repair under warranty,( with a little difficulty) parts are approved for order/on order/back ordered! LOL!.. .Now hope to determine why this is happening?..corrupt program file in initial modification/fix... or boost, intake leak?..Thanx all!
http://forums.tdiclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25

Last edited:

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
The O2 sensor becomes clogged or otherwise malfunctions, which causes it to read wrong. This sensor is what normally determines the soot loading in the DPF under typical operating circumstances.

So if it malfunctions, there is no accurate measurement of the soot load. This can cause problems with hot spots in the DPF when it regens, especially during model-based operating modes like NSC regen. (AKA "mini-regens" that happen every 5 minutes or so)

Seems like a somewhat common issue among stock cars after the "fix".

Maybe also look for leaking o-rings in the charge pressure piping (pressurized intake tract after the turbo), but that should cause a maf plausibilty fault.

forrest resto`s

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanx kerma..we'll see..posted this and more in other thread to answer other opinions there....I can assure you that I only use the correct fuel (Have several of these tdi's most have TWICE the miles since fix,no problems)..also if it WAS bad fuel "according to their test" i doubt they would give in to repairing it under warranty.. also only use correct liqui-moly oil..remember, no issues till after the fix..approx. 60,000 trouble free miles before that fix.could be what kerma said or...I suspect something went wrong with the program files with the fix which caused the first failure just a few thousand miles after..and subsequent failure to the second..it is possible the first one was just a fluke,,and when installing it they disrupted something with the turbo or related to cause the second one to fail..we'll see...thanx

GEFP

Veteran Member
TDI
2- 2001 Jettas, 2 - 2002 Jettas (1 for parts) 2003 1.8t Jetta (parts) 2014 Jetta
We are having the same problem with our 2014 Jetta. The dealer is telling my wife that they have about 4 or 5 cars that drive lots of miles yearly where the dpf needs replacing after the "fix". I'm not to impressed as once the warranty is off then it's our dime for the repair. So far the dealer has been very good with warranty.

Once the warranty is off then i'll be looking at a different exhaust along with a chip.

forrest resto`s

Veteran Member
TDI
researched a little...mileage was 53,700 on fix date..7200 miles later ( odo at 60900) dpf failed ( difference of 7200 miles)...new one installed.. .drove appr. 7000 miles (odo at 67900) and it failed again!. ..guess what?? Failing each time right at 7000 miles! ..coincidence??..NAWW..BAD FUEL!.LOL! .C'mon...REALLY?:rolleyes:..soo I should have another 7000 miles till it fails again..unless SOMETHING is "FIXED":D:D

Last edited: