How important is the Air intake cover that goes behind the driver side headlight?

Voluble

TDI
04 BEW Jetta Wagon
Hey all, how important is that cover that goes behind the driver side headlight? I was browsing IDparts last night when I came across it, and the description said it sealed off that area for the factory cold air intake. I've never taken a hard look at the intake routing and just assumed the engine pulled air from the outside (as in just a solid tube that goes outside)? I guess I'm just a little fuzzy on how this cover plays a role in the intake system. I removed the cover when I did a projector retrofit to make room for the ballast and all that.

Here's the cover for reference:

https://www.idparts.com/air-intake-headlight-cover-a4-p-1812.html

I still have the cover, I'd just have to rearrange some stuff to get it back on.

Thanks

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
That is part of the ducting that allows outside (cooler) air into the engine. So yeah, it should be there.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
The actual air intake is in the grille, just beside the left headlamp assembly. The cover you reference directs the air from the outside, around the back of the headlamp assembly, then into the rest of the plumbing that leads to the air cleaner box.

By leaving the cover off, you allow much of the air to be mixed with warm underhood air. That might be a slight advantage in the dead of winter, while being a disadvantage in summer heat, and your outside climate directs the intensity of the advantage or disadvantage.

Cheers,

PH