VW VW T5 2.5 with hybrid turbo now at 287hp/ 620nm.

martin33100

Veteran Member
TDI
VW T5 2.5
Just thought I would post this up just incase someone else is trying to tune a VW T5 AXD/ AXE and doesn't want to spend a fortune.
TDI Turbo's Garrett 174 turbo machined to take a gtb2060 turbine and comp wheel.
AGM direct fit manifold.
Wagner intercooler.
PPT 2.5" downpipe and exhaust.
Mapped by Bobby Singh.
Also did a rolling road day to compare to other T5's
http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1105906
Also had it put on two independant dyno's:-

Macradiators.com

Veteran Member
TDI
2.0 CR 360hp
Great result! This would be a great car for me also to commute to trackdays.
The driveshaft holds well? There were some that broke the axle.

martin33100

Veteran Member
TDI
VW T5 2.5
Thanks guys, it seems one of the big forum sponsors starting with the letters "D" doesn't like my van as they have just banned me from there Facebook page after I said a couple of comments on there, nothing rude at all, they obviously don't like other people doing as well if not better.

Last edited:

martin33100

Veteran Member
TDI
VW T5 2.5
Great result! This would be a great car for me also to commute to trackdays.
The driveshaft holds well? There were some that broke the axle.
Still have torque limiters in 1st and second but I try and drive with respect as the drive train is rated at only 500nm.
The drive shaft stub shafts are the weak link, they do a modified longer version now that puts the loading over a larger area.

Last edited:

martin33100

Veteran Member
TDI
VW T5 2.5
i do have some other injectors at work to fit but it goes so well I may just leave them.

Last edited:

Festa

Veteran Member
TDI
Vw t5 van
I've got more power and similar torque from the early gt2260 with farid +50 nozzles on my 5 pot :)
Martin you've also been band from any rolling road that's sponsored by pendle performance:D

martin33100

Veteran Member
TDI
VW T5 2.5
I've got more power and similar torque from the early gt2260 with farid +50 nozzles on my 5 pot :)
Martin you've also been band from any rolling road that's sponsored by pendle performance:D
I think you need to get back down Surrey RR now that breathers re-connected.

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
Thanks guys, it seems one of the big forum sponsors starting with the letters "D" doesn't like my van as they have just banned me from there Facebook page after I said a couple of comments on there, nothing rude at all, they obviously don't like other people doing as well if not better.
Well, if you're in their sandbox, you're at the mercy of the head kid there if he wants you there or not lol.

Nice numbers, cool that you could shoehorn 2060 internals into the OEM packaging. Good work!

martin33100

Veteran Member
TDI
VW T5 2.5
Well, if you're in their sandbox, you're at the mercy of the head kid there if he wants you there or not lol.
Nice numbers, cool that you could shoehorn 2060 internals into the OEM packaging. Good work!
TDI Turbo's in the UK did the work, they had already done some Audi 2.5 gt2052's with bigger turbine's for a couple of forum members with great results.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
Nicely done, would be a fun van to drive, :)

martin33100

Veteran Member
TDI
VW T5 2.5
Rough costings paid out £2400
TDI Turbo's AXD/ AXE hybrid built with new Garrett unit £1000.
PPT exhaust and downpipe £450
Wagner intercooler £500
Mapping and 4bar map sensor £400

I do also have an AGM tubular manifold but the manifold pipe sizing is roughy the same as OE so you may be able to get good power without changing your manifold.

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
sexy curve! turbos seems to be really best compromise between low and top end, like just maxing out stock injectors. I've seen the forum sponsors attempt with GTB and 50% injectors made actually less power and more smoke.. somehow :p

martin33100

Veteran Member
TDI
VW T5 2.5
sexy curve! turbos seems to be really best compromise between low and top end, like just maxing out stock injectors. I've seen the forum sponsors attempt with GTB and 50% injectors made actually less power and more smoke.. somehow :p
I know of two other guys on the T5 forum with the forum sponsors GTB kit on there 2.5's and they didn't make any more power over a well built hybrid turbo that costs far less.
It shows people don't do there research because if they looked on the T5 forum they would see you can get the same power for less spend, the 3 top vans at our rolling road day last week made 266hp, 283hp and 287hp and none of them are running a full GTB turbo.

If anyone wants a T5 174 hybrid that works well go to TDI Turbo's:-
https://m.facebook.com/TDi-Turbos-634884833251922/

Last edited:

diffas

Veteran Member
TDI
B5q A4 Avant 2.5TDi+, B7q A4 Avant 3.0TDi
I've always said that correctly made hybrid works good. Its different story with some nonsense hybrid that has only larger comp added. No nice clean power there!

martin33100

Veteran Member
TDI
VW T5 2.5
I've always said that correctly made hybrid works good. Its different story with some nonsense hybrid that has only larger comp added. No nice clean power there!
There was an identical T5 at our rolling road day last Saturday and his hybrid still had the OE turbine, it was 20hp down on mine.
I even stayed safe and used the smaller GTB 42.7 turbine and 44/60 comp wheel as I didn't want much lag but it made way more power than I expected.

Didn't you go 45 turbine and 47/62 comp wheel on your gt20 hybrid?

diffas

Veteran Member
TDI
B5q A4 Avant 2.5TDi+, B7q A4 Avant 3.0TDi
Nope stock 44.5/60 compressor and 50/45 shaft. Also did try 51.5/47 shaft but it didnt work that good... Too heavy and too old design. 317hp with that 44.5/45 hybrid. Quite good for such a old vnt.

martin33100

Veteran Member
TDI
VW T5 2.5
Nope stock 44.5/60 compressor and 50/45 shaft. Also did try 51.5/47 shaft but it didnt work that good... Too heavy and too old design. 317hp with that 44.5/45 hybrid. Quite good for such a old vnt.
We thought about using the 50/45 shaft but if it had too much lag the new Garrett turbo exhaust housing would be scrap so we went for the 50/42.7 instead but could always re-machine to go bigger at a later date if required.

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Arosa CR - 550hp - 9.7 @ 150mph 1/4 Mile, Citigo 4x4 CR TDi - 340hp, Caddy 2.0 CR 4x4 TDI - 300+hp, Golf Mk2 Van 1.9 TDI - was 290hp, Mk5 Ibiza 2.0 FR TDi - 270hp, BMW 135d - 360hp, BMW 330d - 335hp, BMW 335d - 380hp + a few more ........
I was not going to bother replying but figured it best to give our view on your comments.
Just thought I would post this up just incase someone else is trying to tune a VW T5 AXD/ AXE and doesn't want to spend a fortune.
INSERT ANYONE BUT DARKSIDE PRODUCT HERE.
Also did a rolling road day to compare to other T5's
http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1105906
Also had it put on two independant dyno's:-

I know you keep advertising that manifold you run but then on the T5 forum mention it keeps cracking?
We have over 100 emails from you over the last 2 years asking all manner of questions, then you buy the parts locally or from other supplier. I have no problem with people saving money but do the research yourself too!
Please study both of your graphs and then look at ours.

Dyno Dynamics have a correction factor for the engine cylinder count. With any dyno, even set up EXACTLY the same, no two can really be compared. That's why these RR days are a good equaliser, as long as the operator is not biased....
Now back to looking at the graphs, you can see ALL of the 5 cylinder engines are run in Shoot6F mode BUT according to DynoDynamics, Shoot6 or 6F are for 6 cylinder engines. We have done quite a bit of testing using the different modes (back to back on the same car within minutes of each other) and the difference can be quite large, 5-10% extra power and torque depending on which mode. I can produce the graphs if anyone cares to see. The 'F' at the end just denotes a FAST pull despite what DynoDynamics say, power is usually identical and if tuned well, torque exactly the same too.
Usually a STANDARD 2.5 PD130 or PD174 in Shoot 4F will make around the stock power, so on a 6F pull will make MORE than rated power, so I see no reason why we needed to run in 6F on the T5.
I'd rather the customer see a realistic graph rather than an inflated one.
Its a shame we never ran the T5 we did recently on a 6F pull, I would expect 290hp+ and 475lbs. Its back over in Ireland now so sadly cannot be easily brought back to test or attend the dyno days you have mentioned.
One thing to note is the peak figures on your graph may be slightly higher but power and torque are less almost everywhere else.
Our Facebook page is not the place to advertise other individuals / companies products. If you stand outside McDonald's dressed as the KFC Colonel, I'm sure you will be asked to move along. Deleting posts is better than a public argument, but after we removed them you continued to post and had 'friends' join in, so a ban is not really unjustified. It was not me personally that deleted or banned you, but clearly the person who did deemed the action appropriate, and now seeing these posts, I would agree.
Ruben, I did not realise you know the lambda value or saw the vehicle run on the dyno and road? Less power? Read above.
Its a shame you decided to take such an aggressive attitude towards me. We all started at the bottom, don't ever forget that. I'm thankful for all the help everyone gave at the start.
I know of two other guys on the T5 forum with the forum sponsors GTB kit on there 2.5's and they didn't make any more power over a well built hybrid turbo that costs far less.
It shows people don't do there research because if they looked on the T5 forum they would see you can get the same power for less spend, the 3 top vans at our rolling road day last week made 266hp, 283hp and 287hp and none of them are running a full GTB turbo.
Neither of those Vans you mention came here for tuning (if we are thinking of the same vehicles), one I know for sure had more issues with the van and tuner than anything else. Again not a fair comparison if none with a GTB were tuned here.
Our customers want a quality kit, tuned well, at an established company with all the right equipment. Price is not their main concern. If you can afford the premium brand you won't go to the scrapyard for parts, or likely have the time to! If you want to do it all yourself to save some money, no problem. Just don't attack a company because you can't afford their products.

Last edited:

martin33100

Veteran Member
TDI
VW T5 2.5
Point taken Ryan.
I don't know why there is the "INSERT ANYONE BUT DARKSIDE PRODUCT HERE" on your quote as its not on mine.

Your are right I have emailed you a few times but not 100:), I have also bought some products from you so it's not as if I asked all your advice and then went else where.

Next time I go on the dyno I will try it in 4F but the 3 dyno dynamics dyno's I have used in the past have always run the 2.5's in 6F.

Your are right the two GTB kits in question were tuned buy Pendle and one buy RH Tuning.

Your right 2 AGM manifolds have cracked out of all the ones I know that have been sold, this is the reason I am not advertising the manifold to other people to use but the turbo TDI Turbo's has built seems to work well.

I wouldn't say I couldn't afford your kit I just found it pointless without extra mods and expense over the 3k for a turbo, manifold, and a few pipes.
I know of a company in Holland that got over 300hp on a T5 2.5 with your kit but had to do head work and a cam due to the restrictive nature of the OE setup.

Last edited:

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
Both of you take your fighting out of this forum!!

TDIClub remains, as much as possible - people will debate it - neutral on all sides.

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Arosa CR - 550hp - 9.7 @ 150mph 1/4 Mile, Citigo 4x4 CR TDi - 340hp, Caddy 2.0 CR 4x4 TDI - 300+hp, Golf Mk2 Van 1.9 TDI - was 290hp, Mk5 Ibiza 2.0 FR TDi - 270hp, BMW 135d - 360hp, BMW 330d - 335hp, BMW 335d - 380hp + a few more ........
Point taken Ryan.
I don't know why there is the "INSERT ANYONE BUT DARKSIDE PRODUCT HERE" on your quote as its not on mine.

Your are right I have emailed you a few times but not 100:), I have also bought some products from you so it's not as if I asked all your advice and then went else where.

My bad, this also includes our replies, 115 / 2 = 57.5 emails from you.
Not bad for only 2 very small orders. (£145 inc VAT total)

Next time I go on the dyno I will try it in 4F but the 3 dyno dynamics dyno's I have used in the past have always run the 2.5's in 6F.
Look forward to the results

Your are right the two GTB kits in question were tuned buy Pendle and one buy RH Tuning.
Thanks for clearing that up.

Your right 2 AGM manifolds have cracked out of all the ones I know that have been sold, this is the reason I am not advertising the manifold to other people to use but the turbo TDI Turbo's has built seems to work well.

I wouldn't say I couldn't afford your kit I just found it pointless without extra mods and expense over the 3k for a turbo, manifold, and a few pipes.
I know of a company in Holland that got over 300hp on a T5 2.5 with your kit but had to do head work and a cam due to the restrictive nature of the OE setup.
A GTB2260VK is not really pushed hard at this power. Can't say the same about a 2052 Hybrid as they are not as tried and tested.

Just happy to clarify all this. I have no problem with anyone going their own direction. Just please don't smile at our faces while stabbing us in the back :D

TDIMeister - No problem :cool:. Both sides of the story are now clear. Martin is free to contact us privately if he has anything further to add.

Last edited:

martin33100

Veteran Member
TDI
VW T5 2.5

My bad, this also includes our replies, 115 / 2 = 57.5 emails from you.
Not bad for only 2 very small orders. (£145 inc VAT total)

Look forward to the results
I will be fitting some other injectors soon so if you are still happy to sell me parts I will probably get my bolt kit, seals and new look from you as last time you were cheaper than TPS

Thanks for clearing that up.

A GTB2260VK is not really pushed hard at this power. Can't say the same about a 2052 Hybrid as they are not as tried and tested.

Just happy to clarify all this. I have no problem with anyone going their own direction. Just please don't smile at our faces while stabbing us in the back :D

TDIMeister - No problem :cool:. Both sides of the story are now clear. Martin is free to contact us privately if he has anything further to add.
I will be fitting some other injectors soon so if you are still happy to sell me parts I will probably get my bolt kit, seals and new injector loom from you as last time you were cheaper than TPS.

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
I will be fitting some other injectors soon so if you are still happy to sell me parts I will probably get my bolt kit, seals and new injector loom from you as last time you were cheaper than TPS.
More than happy :D

martin33100

Veteran Member
TDI
VW T5 2.5
More than happy :D
Thanks for that.

Going back to the dyno roller ramp rate, acording to the dyno operator I spoke to the Dyno Dynamics manual states that if the no. of engine cyl's of the engine being tested isn't on the dyno computers list you go up 1 ie a 5 cyl should be tested in 6F.
Sanspeed, JD Modified and Surrey RR have all tested my van in 6F.

Next time I get on the dyno I will get them to do a run on both to compare.