2015 TDI Sportwagen your 2 cents please

TDI
2015 Golf Sportswagen S TDI
Greetings,
First off I live in California. A state that does have some of the strictest restrictions on anything that runs on carbon fuel. After months of submitting my paper work and waiting for my approval...online chat with VW told me this morning to wait about another week to hear from the auditors on my proposal to keep my vehicle. I am the original owner too. I do love my car. I bought it for the mpg and longevity of diesel motors too. I do know three mechanics that deal in new technology and they have been my mentors on " is this a good deal " They all agreed for what its worth if I decide to keep it, I am not making a poor choice. It seems to me that because I live in California my repairs are stuck in limbo or it could just be me. I submitted mine back in December I believe or could have been January. I am going to the VW dealer today to go "look" at a 2107 VW GTI sports version...4 door. I like the mpg ( decent ) but I lose the diesel aspect of my options in getting a vehicle. No I do not want some other vendors diesel. I love VW'S. Did anyone have second thoughts after they kept theirs and did anyone wish they did dump theirs after all was said and done. I am afraid in the years to come that this state will impose much stricter SMOG regulations on these " fixed " vehicles. Any comments....thank you.

linux_author

Veteran Member
TDI
Phase II Emissions modified 2015 Golf TDI S SportWagen
we have no regrets whatsoever about keeping our '15 GSW TDI S w/DSG... and the Phase 1 Emissions Modification has had little, if any, effect on performance and mileage (we still don't know about DEF consumption, although some folks report that it increases about 15%)

you have purchased a bargain vehicle - think about it: a high-performing, fuel-efficient diesel station wagon for $18,500 new (considering the settlement money)... the only alternative for the same type of vehicle in diesel is a BMW diesel wagon that *starts* at $45,000!!!!

we love out wagen and we're going to drive the wheels off it...

willie
on the 'smile with every VW mile' Gulf of Mexico

p.s. the federal settlement over-rides any eco-tardism by the Kalifornicators

rc74racer

TDI
2015 GSW SE TDI
I really like my 15 GSW TDI. I was going to do the buyback because the offer was almost 3k more than I paid, but after months of looking for a replacement I called VW this weekend and had my claim reset so I could opt to keep it and get the fix. The uncertainty of a fix was why I went the buyback route in the first place. So far everyone seems happy with it, so I am getting it and keeping this car. Everything else I looked at as a replacement was either more expensive or I just didn't like the car as much. I'm happy with my decision to keep it.

Jsuttin

TDI
2003 jetta wagon [SOLD], 2015 Golf S
We kept our 15 Golf Manual 6. Got the Phase 1 done last week and no difference as far as we can tell. The payout on the modification phases coupled with the extended warranty sealed the deal. Never had a concern about the vehicle itself (we really like it) and couldn't find a vehicle that we liked better for the buyback price.

Sunnyb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW
I have no regrets in keeping mine and getting the emission fix done. I have not noticed any difference in how it drives. And so far I have got around $5600 back from VW. Which helps to pay it off early and with an extended warranty on certain parts, it was an easy decision.

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
My '15 Jetta, with the same engine as you, has gotten the fix.
The changes are so subtle, don't think you could tell two cars driven back to back appart if one had the fix, and one didn't. About the only functional change is I MIGHT need to top off the DEF before an scheduled service, but that is minor, and can even be done at many trucks tops with a DEF pump for under $10.
Some of the changes are considered by be just to be continued "updates", aka fine tuning the DSG if you have one, and so far I am liking the slight changes to shift pattern.
Getting $$, keeping the car, and getting great warrenty on car I like was IMO the way to go.
Some people worry about resale, but I plan on keeping it, and besides, I think a 50 mpg car (highway trips and much of my commute) with a 120,000 mile warrenty on the engine and emissions system would be in demand​. Many folks like or want a TDI, and those people are not going away, even if their car is junked.

TDI
2015 Golf Sportswagen S TDI
Well I thank you for the response. My decision to go ahead and give my TDI back to VW is now in its last phase. My reasoning came from not do to the modifications but more of frustration...waiting...but mostly just the overall thing. I am not dissatisfied with VW actually I bought a 2017 GTI Sport yesterday. I turn in my TDI in a couple weeks but I couldn't refuse the $5000.00 off from the dealer on the last day of the month sale. Plus I get back from my buyback in $4200 and some change. I feel a vacancy now for my TDI but when I sit in my GTI I get this big grin. Good-luck and take care TDI.

Last edited:

sapgar

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI 6MT
Well I thank you for the response. My decision to go ahead and give my TDI back to VW is now in its last phase. My reasoning came from not do to the modifications but more of frustration...waiting...but mostly just the overall thing. I am not dissatisfied with VW actually I bought a 2017 GTI Sport yesterday. I turn in my TDI in a couple weeks but I couldn't refuse the $5000.00 off from the dealer on the last day of the month sale. Plus I get back from my buyback in $4200 and some change. I feel a vacancy now for my TDI but when I sit in my GTI I get this big grin. Good-luck and take care TDI.

The GTI will succor your grief. I did something not too dissimilar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RockRockRock

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW M6
I've got a 2015 GSW, M6, live in CA, and haven't done the fix. I just re-registered in person to 7/18 with no guff from the state.

Keep the car, I'm willing to bet their relative value will go up, or at least, depreciate slower.

Stopping for gas is so depressing.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I've wondered why you wouldn't turn in your '15 and get all the buyback dollars, and then turn around and purchase a new '15 from dealer stock with the buyback funds? Seems to me you could net a pretty good profit from that transaction, and still have a TDI.

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
I've wondered why you wouldn't turn in your '15 and get all the buyback dollars, and then turn around and purchase a new '15 from dealer stock with the buyback funds? Seems to me you could net a pretty good profit from that transaction, and still have a TDI.
I debated doing exactly that....
But it came down to the risk of not finding the "right car". Sure, bet the DSG cars will be plentiful, but remember, the cars mostly sat, outside for a long time. Mine sat in a garage, and didn't get excessive miles, and it is a KNOWN commodity, no issues.
A car that say for 3 years...Most likely be ok or will be made "right" under the warranty, but still...
Gotta be willing to roll the dice, and maybe pay sales tax and reg fees, plate transfers, etc.
Unless the "new" 2015 cars go cheap, it might be a fool's trade.
Figured many owners who trade in might want to sample the 2015, just like you...The last, the terminal TDI. In middle America, they might get sold cheap, but on the coasts, not so sure.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I understand the concern about finding the right car, but the talk is they'll be discounted about 40% off MSRP. We'll know by the end of the month, for sure. And the OP could find the right car before turning his in.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
As an aside, do not buy one with a Pano sunroof. You will be sorry when down the road (out of warranty) you have to have it fixed for thousands of dollars.

One guy posted here that he had he had high hopes of getting his to close properly so he could take out the fuse.

Last edited:

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
As an aside, do not buy one with a Pano sunroof. You will be sorry when down the road (out of warranty) you have to have it fixed for thousands of dollars.

One guy posted here that he had he had high hopes of getting his to close properly so he could take out the fuse.

Now -IMHO - is humor!:D

Good one, Rattler............

ez

NorthVan

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDi: 2014 Touareg TDi
I almost bought a Golf Sportwagen TDi back in August 2015, but it wasn't big enough for my needs at the time. I regretted that decision the day I heard about the Diesel scandal. I tried to buy a used one, but they sold within 24 hours of being available. When the left over new 2015's came available, I had to work hard and search around all the dealers, finally found one that I wanted.

They are great cars, and unfortunately will not be available again. If you can find one that you like, get it.