Requiescat in Pace, John Jackson

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
Thanks to Facebook algorithms, I did not see this until many days after the fact. But friend and regular here on TDIClub, John Jackson, has passed away.

Early on in my foray into business as a mobile TDI repair technician here in California, John had me come to his house and stay while I repaired and upgraded his old B4 Passat a few times. He also even made it to the occasional, and now defunct but legendary Bay Area GTGs.

Never shy of sharing his opinion and straightforward, but also gracious, I appreciated the man a lot. More than I ever told him.

This now has me thinking back to when I did the Eurotuning 6 speed conversion on his B4V along with the shift linkage upgrade, almost think he was happier with the shift linkage improvement than he was the 6 speed. Always a joy to see someone pleasantly surprised at how much more enjoyable their car was just made with help from my work. But that's besides the point.

Most memorable to me was after we completed the test drive, he asked if I wanted a beer. We stopped at a brewpub not far from his house and had a couple, took a growler to go. Unbeknownst to me, he was ignoring his cell phone, apparently his equally fiery wife Anita had been repeatedly trying to get ahold of him so she could plan dinner accordingly.

That didn't go over so well... we both got kicked out of the house that night... The growler then also got consumed at the hotel between us and generally just enjoyed the conversation.

John was a good man and I will certainly miss him and the memory of that trip in particular will always stand out in my mind. Maybe it's a little too much to share and not exactly the proudest moment for either of us I'm sure, but it's just what stands out the most to me. I enjoyed his company.

Requiescat in Pace, John.

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
I am very sad to hear this news. I had the pleasure to meet John at a number of TDIFests and share a room with him at TDIFest 2013 in Maine. I echo everything you said about John. He was exceptionally friendly, gracious, generous, and man -- did he love his B4V and TDIClub.

My sincere condolences to Anita, whom I only heard by name but felt I knew much better from the many times John mentioned her.

deegingerkid

Beware the Ginger! Vendor
TDI
"Blurple" 2000 New Beetle 5M 2006 Jetta has been SOLD
I too was a victim of the crap FB algorithm and didn't see this until today. All the times I met John, he was the best. I too am a fiery personality and I think he liked that. He has been so good to Matt and everyone in the TDI community. He will be greatly missed.

</3

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Shoot, this is sad news. I never had the pleasure of meeting John, but felt like I knew him from his many posts. There are a handful or two of members whose thoughtful posts pull me into threads magnetically. He was one of them. R.I.P. John, you are missed.

temporaptor

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta TDI 11 335D M-Sport
Rest In Peace John. He was a great guy, the best! I have many great memories of John. He helped organize many TDI get togethers and maintained a great sense of humor. Prayers go out to his family.

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
2010 Blue Graphite Pearl Golf Variant
Such sad news. :( I remember John making the cross country trek to a few Fests. He will be missed.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Surprising and sad news. John and I shared some B4 stories (and issues), and we met in Maine and Sturgeon Bay at the last Fest. I like to deceive myself by thinking time isn't marching on, but news like this shows it is. Diesel on, John.

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
I will miss my fellow Corvair enthusiast's passion for those oldies, among other things.
Godspeed, John.

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
John was a good friend. We setup many a GTG back in the day to do what we could to build up the SoCal TDI community. We even spent many hours together in the middle of the night traveling to other folks GTGs. It was definitely nice to have another b4 owner who liked to spend silly money on these old things.

I remember the first time we met and touched our white bumpers together to make a trade. Drove up from San Diego to deliver a trailer hitch and try out an Alligator Tune.

Once he let go of his B4V to continue to drive his Volt, we lost touch. I never did get a chance to see that Comanche. I do blame him not getting an iPhone and joining our local group iMessage texts. Damn MMS =P
I'm glad he got to meet my son one in one of the last GTG's for the SoCal tdiclub members.

You will be missed John Jackson.

Bob S.

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A B4V, some ALHs & BRMs
Sad to read. While I never met John, he was always a trusted source for B4 info. May he rest in peace.
\

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
That is too bad, I enjoyed John's conversation and knowledge on here. I met him once when he showed up at my house prior to a Fest here in Maine (2013 or 2015). I was able to help him with some minor issues he had on his B4V, which made me feel like a rockstar because there is little John didn't know about them. I am sorry for his passing.

I miss all the old crew from the B4 board. Time certainly is marching on. Rest is peace, John, you did a lot of good in this world and I am appreciative for the part I witnessed.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
There aren't a lot of B4s left around, nor people like John who were willing to invest in and preserve what is a unique vehicle. Folks move on, although newer cars aren't necessarily better, as many learn.

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
John's B4V lives on in good hands, it is in the rust belt, however.

Matt Whitbread has had it for a couple years now.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
Very sorry to hear......too many
great people Passing lately...got to meet on several occasions! Great guy RIP!
Sadly......this site has a Gone but not Forgoten Page.....But it is not maintained...l
I volunteered......but nothing ever came of it....lots of us been here 20+ years and getting older and the inevitable does happen......

Last edited:

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Farewell, John,
Corvair fan? Volt owner? We've more in common than I expected.
May you have a full B4V tank to tide you over until we meet (if I don't make a wrong turn on my own trip).