TDIClub Forums

TDIClub Forums (http://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php)
-   VW B5 Passat TDIs (http://forums.tdiclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   Frequently Asked Questions (http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=91041)

eluwak October 21st, 2004 09:10

Frequently Asked Questions

Ok folks... Time for a FAQ thread. If you got any good FAQs post the question and/or a link to the thread and I'll update this main post for quick reference. Some so far...

Transmission Stumbling
new Passat sometimes stumbles at partial throttle

CCV Filter Installs
Mann ProVent - Successful Installation!

Engine Heater (for them Northern types)
B5 TDIHeater Now Available!

Seatbelt Chime Disable & Other VAG-COM Goodies
seatbelt chime
Testing driving an 05 Passat PD

Towing
04-05 Passat Sedan TDI Hitch Question
Towing with the TDI...ratings?
Anyone put a receiver hitch on a B5?

PhatBox Install
PhatBox

Euro Split Mirrors
Euro Split Mirrors for new (2004.5) TDI Passat

dieseldorf October 21st, 2004 09:13

Scott, has anyone updated the oil information to included the 505.01 issues and sources?

eluwak October 22nd, 2004 06:38

Quote:

Scott, has anyone updated the oil information to included the 505.01 issues and sources?

I don't believe it is. This FAQ topic is intended to surround specifically the B5 FAQs for folks to quickly and easily find. The main TDIFAQ does need to be updated as much has happened in the last year or two.

eluwak November 8th, 2004 04:47

Just an update post... Let me know if I'm missing a good FAQ so I can include it.

Thanks!

whizbyu December 26th, 2004 06:21

Re: Frequently Asked Questions

Hi I know there was a thread on how to change wiper blades using refills and a pair of long nose pliers. I tried the search but couldn't make it come up. Anyone have the link on this? Thanks!

leicaman March 7th, 2005 10:35

Go to www.vwvortex.com I do believe the instructions are there on the forums somewhere.

Antler March 19th, 2005 05:38

Trying to catch up on the nomenclature here...

I am new to VWs as I now own my first, a Passat Station wagon with the 121 cubic inch turbo diesel equipped with the automatic transmission. I see many references here and around the net to "B4" through "B6" powered vehicles. According to my owners manual my engine outputs 134 hp and 247 ft/lbs of torque. How does one tell if you have a B5, B6 and etc?

icnick March 19th, 2005 08:57

Your new Passat is a "B5" platform car, or "B5.5" because it was made after the 2001 body revision. This refers to the platform of the car- Jetta/Golf/New Beetle/Audi TT are "A" platform cars- the current one is the A4 (1999.5-2005) platform, but the A5 Jetta has just come out. The Passats are larger "B" platform cars, currently the B5 (VW Passat 1998-2005, Audi A4), but the brand-new B6 platform is now available in europe, and will be here this summer. It is a larger car, and no longer shares the Audi longitudinal platform. It is transverse like the G/J/NB. Your 2.0l TDI-PD engine is engine code "BHW". HTH PM me if you have any other questions. http://forums.tdiclub.com/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Nick

dgoldsmith August 30th, 2005 10:40

Why has VW pulled the Passat TDI?

DG

compu_85 August 30th, 2005 11:40

Who knows... maby they didn't want to get the new one emmissions tested... maby they didn't want to take away from Jetta sales...

dgoldsmith August 30th, 2005 12:47

Everyone I know was dying to get the TDI Passat - I'm sure the profit margin was higher, I can't imagine they feared taking away from Jetta sales...non-TDI Passat sales maybe.

Keyser_Soze August 30th, 2005 17:11

After seeing the new Passat it made me want to buy the last of the old models. That new Passat is too bloated for me, and the interior quality is a step down IMO.

PlaneCrazy August 31st, 2005 04:54

Quote:

Why has VW pulled the Passat TDI?

DG

One theory is that the demand is so high for TDIs in Europe that they simply don't have the capacity to offer them here.

Interestingly, the B4 Passats were only available as TDIs in the last two model years available in N. America: '96 and '97. The B5.5 is the same: '04 and '05.

Perhaps in the last two years of the B6 cycle we'll again get a TDI.

Yes the new Passat is bigger, but it's awesome, and when the wagon comes out, it will be a real SUV killer especially if a 4-motion TDI ever becomes available over here (I'm allowed to dream aren't I?).

Interior quality? I don't think it's "low quality". It looks very nice, but it doesn't look particularly German. With wood trim it looks positively Jaguarish. What I do like about my current Passat, with anthracite interior: very German and non-nonsense looking, high level of fit and finish. In many ways I like the new A5 Jetta interior better as it's more no-nonsense German.

My only regret? In retrospect I should have gotten the wagon. I didn't because we already have a Jetta wagon but the Passat is much roomier.

matt20 September 11th, 2005 13:49

I'm thinking of getting a vag-com, but I wanted to know where is the diagnostic connector located? I have a 2004 Passat.

Thanks,

matt

TDI_Jeffster September 11th, 2005 17:21

The connector is above your shins...