TDIClub Forums

TDIClub Forums (http://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php)
-   TDI 101 (http://forums.tdiclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Stumped by a non working sunroof even after replacing motor and control unit (http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=306987)

steadyhand January 30th, 2011 06:38

Stumped by a non working sunroof even after replacing motor and control unit
 
Please help.

I have a 2005 Golf GLS. Sunroof quit working. Manual cranking still works just fine.

So, I purchased a new motor and a now map light/sunroof control module. I installed them both, including a new 20amp fuse in the driver's side door fuse panel.

Even after the new parts, only the manual crank works.

Any thougts/ideas please? Thanks in advance,

Rich

HornetHandler January 30th, 2011 12:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by steadyhand (Post 3272229)
Please help.

I have a 2005 Golf GLS. Sunroof quit working. Manual cranking still works just fine.

So, I purchased a new motor and a now map light/sunroof control module. I installed them both, including a new 20amp fuse in the driver's side door fuse panel.

Even after the new parts, only the manual crank works.

Any thougts/ideas please? Thanks in advance,

Rich


Are you getting power to the motor???


Mack

steadyhand January 30th, 2011 12:47

I'll need to purchase a multimeter before I can check for power...

HornetHandler January 30th, 2011 13:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by steadyhand (Post 3272629)
I'll need to purchase a multimeter before I can check for power...



Good investment and a necessity if you plan on doing your own electrical troubleshooting. Fluke make very good quality multimeters. A feature you will not use much, but that does come in handy from time-to-time is the capability to measure current. 10 to 20 amps DC is nice.

http://www.fluke.com/

Ping back once you get it and we'll walk you through the process if necessary.


Mack



Mack

gforce1108 January 30th, 2011 16:56

I spent a lot of time working on a sunroof on a beetle which should be similar. Once you get a meter (or a test light) there should be two power sources - one constant power and the second that is switched with the ignition. I had a broken wire somewhere between the fuse box and the sunroof. I ran a new wire to get it working. The symptoms were no movement other than with the manual crank, but if I held the key in the lock position (to roll up windows), the sunroof would close, but only from the retracted position. If it was tilted up it would not lower using the key.

joetdi January 30th, 2011 18:28

If you open it manually can you close it with the key in the driver's door?

3800rpmDiesel January 31st, 2011 10:45

you guys are talking about 'manually' opening / closing. how is that accomplished?

steadyhand January 31st, 2011 11:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3800rpmDiesel (Post 3273930)
you guys are talking about 'manually' opening / closing. how is that accomplished?



Under the sunroof motor cover (square-ish piece near the map lights), there is a funny shaped Allen wrench (crank) that fits into the sunroof motor. Just insert and spin that crank around and the sunroof moves in/out/up.

"If you open it manually can you close it with the key in the driver's door?"

I will check...soon....thanks.

procupine14 January 31st, 2011 12:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by steadyhand (Post 3273967)

Under the sunroof motor cover (square-ish piece near the map lights), there is a funny shaped Allen wrench (crank) that fits into the sunroof motor. Just insert and spin that crank around and the sunroof moves in/out/up.

Learn something new every day. This sounds like a handy feature that I should know about in case of motor issues :)

steadyhand January 31st, 2011 19:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by procupine14 (Post 3274075)
Learn something new every day. This sounds like a handy feature that I should know about in case of motor issues :)

This works also for when our TDI engines fail; just rip the weak/broken cam shaft out and manually crank the cylinders....good for about 5 mph (on a straightaway - you loose 2 mph on turns)!:D

3800rpmDiesel February 1st, 2011 07:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by procupine14 (Post 3274075)
Learn something new every day. This sounds like a handy feature that I should know about in case of motor issues :)

Think I'll throw an allen wrench in the glovebox tonight!!! Who wants to be caught away from home, with an open sunroof and an impending thunder-shower :eek:

what size allen key btw?

steadyhand February 1st, 2011 15:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by joetdi (Post 3273076)
If you open it manually can you close it with the key in the driver's door?


Didn't work for me. Driver's key in the door does open and close the windows, but does not affect the sunroof, even when I start with it open (manually opened, of course).

It's as though the sunroof has no juice (haven't purchased a multi-meter, yet).....

drew46304 June 17th, 2012 07:50

sun roof problem
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by gforce1108 (Post 3272969)
I spent a lot of time working on a sunroof on a beetle which should be similar. Once you get a meter (or a test light) there should be two power sources - one constant power and the second that is switched with the ignition. I had a broken wire somewhere between the fuse box and the sunroof. I ran a new wire to get it working. The symptoms were no movement other than with the manual crank, but if I held the key in the lock position (to roll up windows), the sunroof would close, but only from the retracted position. If it was tilted up it would not lower using the key.

hey gforce. I have almost exactly the same problem you had with this beetle. The only difference is that when i hold the key in lock position in the door, having the sunroof open with crank, it WILL NOT close.........but if i have the back tilted up, using the crank, then the motor will work to pull it down when holding key in lock position. Sounds very similar. I tried this with and without the sunroof control switch attached to the motor with the same results. My thoughts were that maybe i should try replacing the switch first but after reading your post im not sure now. I installed another used motor that i got on ebay for 24 bucks with shipping and got the exact same results.......so im not out much and will have a spare if ever needed. You have any thoughts on this ? ........ or anyone else on here ?

Im new on here.......found this site EXTREMELY helpful a cpl weeks ago when i changed my alternator. Im sure i saved at least a cpl hours by printing someones step by step instructions. Now im just trying to get some of the other nagging things taken care of in my 2002 beetle. Thanks to all for all the valuable infor on here.

drew46304 June 17th, 2012 07:56

i need a multi meter for the same reason.......sunroof trouble. what model did you get from Fluke ?

JB05 June 17th, 2012 09:11

Since I have the same car as the OP, I was hoping he would post his outcome from 1.5 years ago.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:05.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright - TDIClub Online LTD - 2017

Page generated in 0.07344 seconds with 8 queries
[Output: 19.77 Kb. compressed to 18.76 Kb. by saving 1.00 Kb. (5.07%)]