TDIClub Forums

TDIClub Forums (http://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php)
-   VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+) (http://forums.tdiclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   Engine Braking: We cool with that? (http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=353051)

MaynardLD50 May 20th, 2012 08:30

Engine Braking: We cool with that?

I live in the burbs which means we have a metric ton of stoplights. One thing I starting doing yesterday, but was a little nervous about, was engine braking with the triptronic. I drove a 5 speed beetle back in the day and use to use it all the time. Is this ok on our Passat's or am I destroying that automatic DSG?

tdiatlast May 20th, 2012 08:42

"Destroying that automatic DSG?" Doubtful.

Added wear and tear on the DSG? Unknown, but probably not as benign as letting it downshift on its own. (Your MPGs would probably be marginally better if you let the DSG do its own work)

Are brake parts cheaper than a worn-out DSG? Definitely!

Ski in NC May 20th, 2012 09:02

Use the brakes to slow down. The clutches in the tranny have to drag the engine up to next gear's rpm and that's more dragging than it would do on an upshift or a programmed downshift near idle. Might not be much wear, but why take the chance.

Brakes are cheap. Cheaper yet is to try to ease up on the light so as much momentum as possible is maintained

Niner May 20th, 2012 09:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by tdiatlast (Post 3809244)
"Destroying that automatic DSG?" Doubtful.

Added wear and tear on the DSG? Unknown, but probably not as benign as letting it downshift on its own. (Your MPGs would probably be marginally better if you let the DSG do its own work)

Are brake parts cheaper than a worn-out DSG? Definitely!

/\ This... pads and rotors are 10 x cheaper than a DSG. Use the brakes, or anticipate red lights sooner and let off the throttle sooner so you don't need to use the brakes. Engineer "green light go" timing if the route you are on is a daily or regular commute.

MaynardLD50 May 20th, 2012 12:50

It's such an efficient glider though! I'm letting off and this guy just keeps momentum forever. Thanks for the logic with the DSG to brake pad comparison.

AtlantaRene May 20th, 2012 13:10

I have adjusted my behavior in the DSG. I stay in drive and I increased my following distance. When approaching a stop, I lightly put my foot on the brake after a few seconds I feel the transmission downshift and then coast.

I'm so use to the behavior (with only 2500 miles of experience) that I am annoyed that my Honda Accord does not do the same thing.

-- AtlantaRene

-- AtlantaRene

TheGrove May 20th, 2012 14:11

Using sport mode will also work. I've started doing that and it helps slow down by just lifting the throttle. Once on the interstate it shifts up into the upper gears and gives me the highway mileage I'm looking for.

MyAvocation May 20th, 2012 22:29

I wouldn't worry about engine braking a DSG on a regular basis... just don't high rev it and clutches will be fine.

r11 May 21st, 2012 05:07

And of course, there's a also an application of same when going down extended steep grades, where one doesn't really have an option - it is between cooking one's break pads to point of fading OR having a controlled descent with engine compression/natural friction providing the braking force.

ColoradoDriver May 21st, 2012 07:33

The clutch on the DSG do not "drag down" anything to switch gears. The computer perfectly matches RPMs for the down shift. It is only after the split-second down shift that the engine's compression comes into play.

VeeDubTDI May 21st, 2012 12:31

I don't think you're going to kill it by engine braking, as the car downshifts itself anyway - not like you're adding any more shift counts to it. With the wet clutch, wear compared to a conventional dry clutch is reduced. The engine also rev matches downshifts, further reducing transmission wear.

no-blue-screen May 22nd, 2012 06:10

I engine brake regularly with my 6spd MT. Using the brakes carries more cost than just pads and rotors. You are wasting fuel each time you use the breaks by converting that energy back into heat.

The DSG is a computer controlled sequential manual transmission. You aren't going to hurt it by downshifting to slow the vehicle.

I will also say that its best not to have to do that and anticipate, but that is nearly impossible when you have a ton of traffic signals. I use the brakes too....I just don't have to use them as much or apply as much force when I downshift to the next lowest gear.

meowguy May 23rd, 2012 08:56

I do not downshift my DSG in normal city driving. I will drop it down to 5 when approaching a toll booth. I drop it down to 3 or 4 to keep the engine from lugging on hilly neighborhood streets at 30 mph or so. I drove my last TDI 66,000 miles and did not have to replace the transmission or brakes.

In general I agree brakes are cheaper than a tranny rebuild.

MaynardLD50 May 23rd, 2012 10:16

Answer to the thread: No, No we are not cool with that. Buy brake pads, not transmissions.

Niner May 23rd, 2012 10:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaynardLD50 (Post 3812769)
Answer to the thread: No, No we are not cool with that. Buy brake pads, not transmissions.

And rotors... don't forget them either, when you do brake pads. Is this your first Volkswagen?