K+N 2015 Passsat TDI Fuel filter

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
I've been googling for a K+N fuel filter. has anyone heard of or seen one?

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
A K&N isn't going to do anything other than filter what's going into your motor worse. If it resulted in more power, the MAF values would be skewed, which are used to calculate many aspects of the motor including emissions controls. Companies have pulled their "cold air filters" off the market for these platforms because they've had so many problems with DPF failures. It would be best to use nothing but OEM components on this car if you want it to be reliable, the only worthwhile gains are from software, turbo upgrades, or exhaust modifications.

Last edited:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Seriously? If you find one, don't buy it. K&N filters are sort of known for their lack of filtration. What you really want is a spin on cimtek fuel filter.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Alright I'll skip the search for a K+N fuel filter.

Reason I was looking, I bought a K+N washable cabin filter and also a cleanable K+N engine filter. Have read good reports on those.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Alright I'll skip the search for a K+N fuel filter.

Reason I was looking, I bought a K+N washable cabin filter and also a cleanable K+N engine filter. Have read good reports on those.
Reread the above post from an engine tuner. And ditch the air filter you read good reports about. K&N is a joke it's only benefit is to lighten your wallet. " A K&N isn't going to do anything other than filter the air going into your motor worse."

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
Even in GTI world, people are finding that the stock intake is not a chokepoint up to around 350 hp and the stock paper filter flows just fine and filters great. Intakes and hi-flow filters are regarded as a cosmetic or auditory mod more than anything on the Mk7. Some gullible people are spending upwards of $500 for carbon fiber bling intakes and $60+ for porous filters for negligible power gains. The intake only really starts to matter at the big-turbo level or possibly with a really aggressive stage two tune.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
OP is talking about a K&N FUEL filter here, not air filter (though it looks like they're running one anyway). I'd doubt they carry one...but if you're looking for an upgrade, absolutely look into a 1 or 2 micron filter. User 2micron would be the one to ask if looking to go that route. A 1 micron filter that can go 100k miles between changes made a lot of sense to me.

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
Whoops, didn't even know K&N made fuel filters :confused: I'd definitely install a 2micro kit for the sake of potentially saving return lines/lift pump etc in the case of pump failure.

But yeah, as above has said, the filter business is kind of a sham. Have tested several intakes, run motors without filters, installed cones and lifted them up into the air with a 1HP blower motor on them, and shy of doing that nothing has resulted in a worthwhile gain. Inlet velocity distribution is carefully measured by manufacturers for maf placement etc so they spend A LOT of time on the little details with that stuff. Only to have people rip the part off for an ebay filter :(

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Whoops, didn't even know K&N made fuel filters :confused: I'd definitely install a 2micro kit for the sake of potentially saving return lines/lift pump etc in the case of pump failure.
But yeah, as above has said, the filter business is kind of a sham. Have tested several intakes, run motors without filters, installed cones and lifted them up into the air with a 1HP blower motor on them, and shy of doing that nothing has resulted in a worthwhile gain. Inlet velocity distribution is carefully measured by manufacturers for maf placement etc so they spend A LOT of time on the little details with that stuff. Only to have people rip the part off for an ebay filter :(
I am not looking for any HP gain but want to be able to have a permanent engine air filter and fuel filter which only needs to be cleaned as per instructions. I spend almost 6 months in Mexico every winter and the local (50miles away) VW dealer may or may not have those filters. A friend 2-3 years desperately needed DEF fluid, it had to be special ordered (2 weeks).
I carry 2 gallons from a US truck stop with me.

A couple of days ago I changed the cabin filter and it was not dirty at all. I put a new one in though. Banged the used one against a wall and very little fell out other than some dried up small tree leaves. The K+N cabin filter and engine air filter you take it out wash it and treat it with a chemical kit from K+N and you're good to go. The cost of 2-3 filters pays for the K+N filter.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
The EA288 engine air filter interval is 60k miles. That K & N sounds like a hassle (remove and clean, let dry) for not much in savings and potential MAF issues down the road. The $45-$55 for the K&N would have gotten you two OEM filters ($19/ea) that would take you to 180k miles.

The fuel filter I pictured above not only filters much better, but has 100k mile intervals, and is spin-on so keep a spare in the trunk if you need to...they're $13 if I recall (OE VW filter is $38 btw) which is dirt cheap for a fuel filter that will filter better AND last a very long time.

pdq import repair

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta
At a Bosch service school one time on the subject of MAF failure and K&N filters the instructor calmly stated "K&N stands for Kill it Now".

Cabin filter should be fine as only your lungs are affected.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Oh, the mind boggles.

K & N engine air filter= greater air flow (maybe), filtering quality compromised, premature engine failure.

K & N engine OIL filter= greater oil flow, filtering quality compromised, premature engine failure.

K & N cabin filter = greater air flow, filtering quality compromised = premature lung failure.

Perfect planned obsolescence! 1970s GM engineers would be proud!

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Common now, don't pretend VW isn't on the planned obsolescence band wagon now. 150K and that's is.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The EA288 engine air filter interval is 60k miles. That K & N sounds like a hassle (remove and clean, let dry) for not much in savings and potential MAF issues down the road. The $45-$55 for the K&N would have gotten you two OEM filters ($19/ea) that would take you to 180k miles.
The fuel filter I pictured above not only filters much better, but has 100k mile intervals, and is spin-on so keep a spare in the trunk if you need to...they're $13 if I recall (OE VW filter is $38 btw) which is dirt cheap for a fuel filter that will filter better AND last a very long time.
It's all fine and dandy to throw around that the filter is only $ 19.00 each.
That may be in the U S of A but not in Canada. A Mahle filter which I just installed today was Cdn $ 60.00 !

BTW: The filter I took out was clean as a whistle, there was NO crud in the bottom of the filter housing either and that is after spending 5 1/2 months last winter in Mexico and getting the least expensive Diesel fuel at home.

Last edited:

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
It's all fine and dandy to throw around that the filter is only $ 19.00 each.
That may be in the U S of A but not in Canada. A Mahle filter which I just installed today was Cdn $ 60.00 !
I'm just curious as I have no dog in this fight. Outsde of the fact that K&N filters don't work as good as a paper filter. What is the K&N cost Cdn?

Rembrant

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
I'm just curious as I have no dog in this fight. Outsde of the fact that K&N filters don't work as good as a paper filter. What is the K&N cost Cdn?
K&N Filters in Canada are usually between $70-$80 bucks...plus tax, which in my case is 15%. These days, our price differences are usually pretty close to the US/CDN exchange rate. Not always, but often enough.

I'm having a hard time with buying a $60 paper air filter though. Does the 15 Passat have some special kind of filter requirements? Is it an odd shaped unit? (Edit...I just Googled quickly, and it looks like a Mk5 TDI filter...which can be had for $15 all day long in Canada, even cheaper if you want white box auto parts store stuff).

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
K&N Filters in Canada are usually between $70-$80 bucks...plus tax, which in my case is 15%. These days, our price differences are usually pretty close to the US/CDN exchange rate. Not always, but often enough.

I'm having a hard time with buying a $60 paper air filter though. Does the 15 Passat have some special kind of filter requirements? Is it an odd shaped unit? (Edit...I just Googled quickly, and it looks like a Mk5 TDI filter...which can be had for $15 all day long in Canada, even cheaper if you want white box auto parts store stuff).
That is why I asked. Where did he buy this $60.00 filter from? If a paper filter is 60 bucks how much is a K&N? That is outrageous, exchange rate or not.

Last edited:

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Even though I live in a very large city the availability for some parts is not that easy. I would not buy a filter at Walmart, and the stealer prices are outrageous. Example $ 20.00 for 1.89 liter of DEF fluid which I can get in bulk at a truck stop for far less.

I bought a cabin filter which came to $ 23.00, a K+N is $66.00 but you do not throw it away.

Relax and don't get your knickers all in a twist, it seems that K+N does NOT make a fuel filter !!!!!! I will try to buy 1 or 2 on my way through the USA, if maybe Auto zone or someone like that carries them.

My usual route takes me via Detroit I-57, Cinci I-71, Nashville I-65, Little Rock I-40, Dallas I-35, Austin, San Antonio to Laredo. So if someone lets me know where I can pick up a fuel filter along my way I'll do so. That is not going way off my route.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
(Edit...I just Googled quickly, and it looks like a Mk5 TDI filter...which can be had for $15 all day long in Canada, even cheaper if you want white box auto parts store stuff).
Wish that you would tell me where you buy a fuel filter in Canada for that price. I have no trouble GOOGLING for anything, but this has not come up in my searches. I may be wrong but there is no special filter for the 2015, though where I bought mine they had one at 16cm (6.3inch) long, which is mine. The other was shorter.
I just did a one hour search and the only one I found was at Auto Zone at US$ 35.99 plus shipping, plus exchange rate! eBay had some for Tuareg but the fitment says it would not fit even though it looked like my original.

Also found a website where they said that a typical fuel filter change is between US$ 93.00 and $ 110.00 for part and labor, That's ridiculous, it took me 15 minutes to change mine and the engine started right away since I followed a Youtube instruction to the letter..

BTW: I just received my K+N cabin filter. I am impressed in the quality of the unit. A much more solid filter and NO paper.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
What filters are you guys talking about? engine, cabin or fuel?

Rembrant was prob questioning where you were buying engine air filters for $60.

Fuel filters are different beast as the 2015 is different than a Mk5. Paying a dealer $60 for a fuel filter doesn't sounds that bad once exchange rate is taken into account.

As a refrence of price I always check Idparts as they keep a good track of what VW OWE part number matches filter manufacture part number.

Rembrant

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
What filters are you guys talking about? engine, cabin or fuel?

Rembrant was prob questioning where you were buying engine air filters for $60.
Yes, sorry...I was replying to MichaelB at the time, who I thought was replying to another guy about air filters...

I know the original post was about fuel filters, but ALL of the other filters seemed to get thrown in the mix too...

My bad OP, sorry.

PS: In Canada, check filter prices with Roseland. That's where I get my filters.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Fuel filters are different beast as the 2015 is different than a Mk5. Paying a dealer $60 for a fuel filter doesn't sounds that bad once exchange rate is taken into account.

As a refrence of price I always check Idparts as they keep a good track of what VW OWE part number matches filter manufacture part number.
This fuel filter I bought was NOT from a dealer, I'd be afraid to ask their price.

I checked the Idparts and my fuel filter there, without knowing their shipping cost would be about $ 40.00 some odd Beaver bucks. There is the US price, duty of 12% charged plus shipping, plus exchange rate.

According to their fitment list the 2015 and up is a different fuel filter from previous TDI's.

Last edited:

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
This fuel filter I bought was NOT from a dealer, I'd be afraid to ask their price.

I checked the Idparts and my fuel filter there, without knowing their shipping cost would be about $ 40.00 some odd Beaver bucks. There is the US price, duty of 12% charged plus shipping, plus exchange rate.

According to their fitment list the 2015 and up is a different fuel filter from previous TDI's.
+

Well, it looks like your screwed, so much for living in Canada. I guess K&N be the man and sell inferior products even though they don't make a fuel filter for your car. While on your journey through the US stop in at any dealer and save yourself some bucks.
Best Regards,
MichaelB

Last edited:

New Mickey

The user formerly known as mickey
TDI
2015 Passat
A bit heavy on the hyperbole here. No cabin filter is going to "save your lungs" unless you live in your car all the time like the Bubble Boy. It just keeps the interior of the car from getting as dusty.

The theory behind a K&N type air filter is that the air swirls around as it passes through the mesh and particles are forced into the oiled cotton, where they stick. It works, to some extent, but the air going through your cabin filter is pretty low velocity.

Race cars use K&N type filters (or no filters at all) because they get rebuilt all the time anyway.

VW designed a very nice "cold air intake" for you. It works. Don't screw with it.

-mickey

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI

type in the OEM part number in amazon and roll the dice?

https://www.amazon.com/Fuel-Filter-5Q0127177-E439KP-CRUA/dp/B01GINIGE4

crazyrunner33

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf(bought back)
I don't know why all the hate is out there for the K&N. Back in the day when I bought my truck it came with a K&N, the pistons and rings looked totally fine at 200k miles. Plus, it only had a mild coating of dust in the intake. Saved at least 150 bucks in air filters and the guy before me said there was at least a 20 hp increase, can't argue with those results.