MKV Fuel Filter Replacement Procedure

TerribleTDI

TDI
06 VW Jetta TDi, DSG, PKG 1, North Sea Green
What is the proper procedure for replacing the fuel filter on the MKV TDi's?
Found ALOT of miscellaneous information throughout the board, but nothing definitive.:rolleyes:
Doin' the 20k service and lovin' every minute of it!

TerribleTDI

TDI
Thanks for the beta. Alot of new things have come available for the MKV since I was last drooling on this site! Been researching biofuel policies to the point that I cant keep up with my fellow TDi's!
Q: For those of us who dont yet have the Bentley Manual what are the correct placements for the funky blue gasket and the washer?

Last edited:

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
The big gasket goes on the fuel filter cap. The little multi-hole gasket goes on the center pedestal inside the fuel filter canister just under the fuel filter cap. The METAL washer goes under the sealing bolt for water extraction located right in the middle of the fuel filter cap. Your car likely does NOT have this bolt and so doesn't need the metal washer.
It makes perfect sense when you take it apart.... really!

Can someone post a picture?

HTH

Bill

TerribleTDI

TDI
Some reference pictures

Pic 1: Car off? Good, now unbolt the stars and wrap the fuel filter housing with a rag. Make sure it's against the housing good so that any drips dont go where you dont want them. Notice the little "tab" on the top of the housing facing you? That's for a screwdriver to break the "seal". Be gentle, and it will come off easily. Prop the top to the side.

This is what you will now have in front of you. The little blue gasket (looks funny) is currently stuck under the housing top.

Pic 3: GENTLY pull up while twisting. Its not difficult, but is actually simple/easy. It will take some force, but be gentle with it as other have said to keep things clean. You might even want to wear eye protection if you tend to reef on things.

Pic 4: Filter is out! See, not so bad now was it?

Pic 5:
New filter goes in smoothly over the center filter post.

Pic 6:
Install the new little olympic gasket into its recessed housing as can be seen here. It only goes one way so you cannot mess this one up (but go ahead and try on your own:rolleyes: ). Edit: Now, replace the green housing gasket and then the housing top. I guess the fuel system with prime if you turn your key to "on" (dont start it though) a few times. Thought it was a "closed loop" fuel system, but after letting it prime the VW fired right up with no hiccups.

Pic 7: NASTY old filter! I did have some low throttle hesitation and "stammering" prior to changing the filter. That has ceased completely now that it has a new filter. Ive decided that 20k miles is FAR too long for these filters, and will be changing mine every 10k miles or every other oil filter. Took all of about 20 minutes enjoying the air while taking photos. Hope this thread can help some of us TDiers in the future!

Last edited:

TDI 4 RD

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 TDI Pkg 1
I thought there was a need to dump out the contents of the filter housing, once you have the old filter out, and before you put the new one in. Is that not the case? Thanks.

TerribleTDI

TDI
Ah forgot to mention that I used a turkey baster to siphon out the remaining stuff in the bottom of the filter housing, and used a shop towel to soak up the rest. Got everything out:D ! Dont know if it was needed really.

10then34

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta
Thanks.

Is there any difference in the change procedure between the earlier and later '06 models ? The filter cartridge seems to be slightly different between the two (there is a VIN cutoff between the two).

DieselDavid

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI 6M, 2015 Golf SEL TDI DSG
Nice pictures! Two more things to add from my first experience changing the fuel filter.

1) The cap with the 4 hoses on its top will be damp with diesel fuel when we lift it up. Put towels underneath it or wrap a plastic bag around it to keep the diesel fuel from dripping on the big fat hose directly below.

2) When replacing the cap mine did not push down into place on top of the canister containing the new fuel filter. So I positioned the cap into place, inserted the 5 screws slightly, and then gradually tightened those 5 screws in a star pattern (like we use when tightening the wheel's lug nuts). The cap slowly went into place in a fairly level manner and eventually it was seated correctly. No leaking happened afterward. I think the 5 screws are size Torx T-30.

TDI 4 RD

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 TDI Pkg 1
A tip based on a mistake I made - be careful tightening the bolts for the filter. I nearly stripped one by over-tightening (I didn't realize the Craftsmen torque wrench I used would not "click" because the required torque setting was too low).

Worldimpex sells the bolts individually for about $.30.

Hennapanda

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Priming the Fuel System

Terrible TDI, thanks for the great, informative pics and information.

I have been told by my dealer that they have to prime the fuel system with a special tool, yada yada yada. How do you prime the system? The rest looks very doable, even for a newbie.

Thanks again,

John

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
Hennapanda,

The system is self priming on your 06. Turn the key to RUN (not start!) for several seconds and the pump in the fuel tank will refill the filter canister with fuel. I don't know how long this will take..... So I suggest leaving the key on 'run' for 30 seconds then turn it off and back on for 30 seconds..
do this 3 times or so..

All this after installing a new filter of course...

HTH

Bill

TerribleTDI

TDI
Exactly.
Takes about 20-30 seconds of being in the "on" position to prime. You'll actually hear a little solenoid going off as it primes the filter housing. Did it 3 times just to make sure its all said and done...then went for a drive!
My neighbor was skeptical that I needed the special tool, but it obviously worked beautifully.:D

We need MythBusters to do a TDi special. There's so many myths out there about our cars...

10then34

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta
Hennapanda said:
I have been told by my dealer that they have to prime the fuel system with a special tool, yada yada yada.
Yep, there is a special tool, and only YOU have it. It is called 'ignition key'.

There was indeed a time when running a VW diesel empty could buy you a trip to the shop. Some of the mechanical Bosch pumps in 80s VWs didn't self-prime and didn't have a hand-priming pump (like MBs, trucks and tractors of those days). If I remember correctly, you had to take the fuel return line off and pull clean fuel into the pump using a vacuum.

subdvr99

TDI
2006 BRM (Sold)
I replaced my fuel filter last night for my 20K service, and this thread was very helpful. One thing I learned:

When both removing the old filter and inserting the new one, the two gasket-type rings on the filter have a good amount of friction with the center post of the housing. When they let go, depending on how much force you use to remove the filter, you can splash the fuel in the housing around pretty good. When removing my filter, it let loose pretty suddenly, and I splashed diesel fuel up into my face. Similarly when inserting the new one, When the filter bottomed out, I got a little splash out of the housing. Just something to keep in mind. Have lots of rags handy, maybe eye protection if you are worried. Do it once, and you'll see what tips you will need. Now that I've done it once, i think in the future it will be a 20 minute job max.

--Mark

EDIT: I just re-read Maloosheck's blog on this, and he points this out clearly there as well. So, I second his recommendations!!

Last edited:

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
Is the filter in the pics the same as VW p/n 1K0 127 434 A?

LF06VWJTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
06 MkV Jetta TDI
Has anyone noticed that the fuel lines holes in the regulator's top don't align with the ones in the olympic ring? Or is it just mine?

LF06VWJTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
06 MkV Jetta TDI
El Dobro said:
Is the filter in the pics the same as VW p/n 1K0 127 434 A?
Yes that is the 434 A, shared by both 2005.5 and 2006. However, VIN splits in 2006 (aka 2006.5) use the 434 B.

marcusTDI

TDI
2005 Beetle TDI 5spd
Thanks Terrible for a great thread! I did my first fuel filter change this afternoon and it went perfectly. I even used the "screwdriver wedge to hold the canister-lid out of the way " trick as seen in the pics! I turned the ignition key on with my bleeder valve open slightly and did notice some bubbling and then a slight trickle...but no real flood of fuel happened. I tightened it down and off I went around the area testing my handywork....so far so good.

Old filter was BLACK.

CADtechTDi

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 A5 Jetta 5 spd Pkg 1
Reviving an old thread to add a couple tips:
1. After removing the filter cover, siphon out about 1/2" of old fuel from the cannister with a baster;
2. Behind the cannister, there are two tabs; pull them towards the back of the car about 1/8", and lift the cannister assy. completely from the car. Now you can dump all the remaining old fuel/water/sediment out!
3. You can also more easily remove the old filter without fear of splashing fuel in the engine bay.
4. Wipe the inside of the cannister with a lint-free shop towel.
5. Replace the filter cartride with the cannister still removed.
6. Re-install the cannister by pushing it back down into place - push the tabs forward, if required.

Hope these tips help a bit.

zoomy

TDI
2005 Jetta GLS TDI
Does anyone know how to drain the moisture seperator when you replace the fuel filter?

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Just dump the canister when changing. There isn't a separate drain on A5 models. Read one of the fuel filter changing threads. It is discussed in there.

TAK1973

TDI
2006 Jetta Pkg 1
Not to hijack the thread, but has anyone else noticed a 'fuel pump' type noise when unlocking the driver's door after sitting overnight? I noticed that when unlocking the car in the morning, I hear what sounds like the electric pump running for a few seconds.

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
In what looks like yet another running change on the manufacturing line.....

My newest car (06.5 Jetta) looks different from my earlier 06 Jetta in regards to the fuel filter BRACKET. The bracket is one piece and does not unclip from the car like the older car does.

EDIT,
Neither one of my cars have the fuel filter bracket that will unclip... both are bolted on with what looks like three bolts. At the local GTG I noticed at least one other 06 that looked like it would unclip so you could dump the canister rather easily.
So some do and some don't. Sound familiar?;)
EDIT

Bill

Last edited:

sebring96hbg

TDI
2006 Jetta
TAK1973 said:
Not to hijack the thread, but has anyone else noticed a 'fuel pump' type noise when unlocking the driver's door after sitting overnight? I noticed that when unlocking the car in the morning, I hear what sounds like the electric pump running for a few seconds.
salesman told me that the glow plugs start as soon as the door opens.