Philly VW(NorthEast) dealership:(longer) frustrating experience

spfrancis

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 TDI
I finally pulled the trigger and bought a 06 Jetta TDI (auto). I ended up buying the TDI from a dealership in Philly that had 5 auto's on the lot. It seems like auto's are really tough to come by. To set the stage, I live in the DC area, and I ended up going to Philly to buy this car. All the dealerships in DC had extremely limited inventory on TDI (autos), so I was willing to drive a little to save some money. I did try Langhorne (Chris), but they would not have the autos until July, and I really needed a car sooner. It would drive me bonkers having to wait potentially 2 months to get my new TDI. The problem I had was more with the dealership, then the car itself. There was poor communication between the sales dept, and other departments in regard to me picking up my old car. I drove up there on a Thursday, and did the sale, and left my 97 saturn there until the weekend. When I spoke to the sales guy, they said that this would not be a problem. So my wife and I decided to make a trip of it, and give the new car a nice long drive. I even called the sales guyon Saturday, and re-iterated that I will be coming up Sunday to pick the car up with my wife. He said that we are closed on Sunday, but as long as you have proof of ownership of the car, you can drive your old car off of the lot. So we spend the evening in downtown Philly(which was a nice evening), and then got up early on Sunday, to go pickup the Saturn. When we get there, we find out that everything is locked up, and when I speak to the security guard he is bascially saying "no way you can drive that car off of the lot". I asked him to escalate the issue to his manager, and he called someone, and they bacically said the same thing. So what he was saying was that my only option was to wait for Monday morning to pick up the car when the lot is open. I spoke with the guy for about 15 minutes, and it was clear that he didn't want to hear anything I said. I left, and went down to the local police station to see if I could get one of their officers to come up with me and see if they could talk to him. I figured that if the security guard had concern about the vehicle's ownership, the police could put his mind to ease. Another 2 hours later they accompanied me to the dealership, and we spoke to the security guard. He basically held to the same story, that he could not do anything about it, and that the sales guy il-advised me. By now it is 5pm, and there wasn't much the officers could do, so we were left to get a nearby hotel room. So rather than an easy ride back on Sunday evening, we had to get up at 5:30am Monday, and go pick up the car, and drive it back to DC through what seemed like 3 different rush-hours... :) I gave the sales manager an ear full this morning, once I got to work. I'm still pretty hot about the situation. It wasn't a horror story, but it was extremely frustrating to have to deal with.

THanks for letting me bend your ear. Oh, so on the first tankful I got 42mpg with 3/4's on highway, and 1/4 on city type driving. I loved seeing that.

Sony

TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
A few years ago I also bought a Jetta TDI from NorthEast VW at Grant & Academy. The price was right and they had good availability, but the place is run poorly. At first they refused to honor a price that I had agreed on the phone with the sales person. Then they said that they would honor the price only if we completed the sale that evening. I ended up staying at the dealership until around 10pm to complete the sale. I called a few days later to get a question answered and was told that the salesman no longer worked there. A very disorganized bunch of folks run the place.

spfrancis

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 TDI
Yeah, that is probably the best way to describe it, very disorganized. The latest thing that they did, which was again frustrating. I notice on Tuesday that the temp plates were dated 5/6/06, rather than 6/04/06. It sounds like the finance manager messed up, and put the wrong date in there. When I called and explained their mistake, they said that they would overnight (what I assumed would be new tag) it out to me. Then on Wednesday, I got some paperwork, that basically stated the date that the tag was supposed to expire. That irked me more, as now I have to hope that I don't get pulled over by Fairfax County's finest, and then having to explain what had happen. I called and spoke to the GM's assistant, and explained that I was not pleased with how things are going. She was very understanding, and she spoke with the GM, and the sales manager, and they said they are going to ship out a new temp tag, with the appropriate date. Man, I'm glad I'm happy with the car, but not really crazy about the dealership.

Thanks.
Sony