TDIClub Forums

TDIClub Forums (http://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php)
-   VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014) (http://forums.tdiclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=81)
-   -   New Owner, 2012 Sportwagon... The Journey starts! (http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=495251)

Treetrimmer February 14th, 2019 16:27

I haven't read this entire thread, (I'm old and only have so many heartbeats left), but oil should not be a WW3 issue. Just use one that has the right numbers or letters on the bottle. Not using VW 507 spec oil in an engine where it voids the warranty not to use it seems like the height of stupidity to me. Just why?? These numbers represent very specific additive packages.

JELLOWSUBMARINE February 14th, 2019 21:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by CDKJudoka (Post 5483965)
I actually had my DPF replaced as part of the emissions fix. The only reason why it was replaced is because an enterprising individual thought it would be good to steak the cat from the car while it was sitting in VAGUSA's storage yard and cut the flange from the DPF to get it off.

I may try this on my next oil change.

My CPO shows a new $1500 DPF in the "fix". I wonder if that was one of the "possible" items if its not at a certain perameter

bizzle February 14th, 2019 22:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by JELLOWSUBMARINE (Post 5484147)
My CPO shows a new $1500 DPF in the "fix". I wonder if that was one of the "possible" items if its not at a certain perameter

Some low mileage TDIs won't get a new DPF until an undetermined time in the future. It's spelled out in the settlement and offer letters, but I don't have all the details in front of me. But those were the groups I was suggesting could do a controlled study of this issue. Yes, technically using the wrong oil will invalidate the warranty. But if you're bringing the car in for a DPF replacement pursuant to VW's offer letter rather than a warranty claim, I'm not sure how far they'd test it or what kinds of equipment would prove that increased soot level was directly caused by any particular kind of oil.

That is, if the relationship between oil ash and dpf lifespan are indirectly proportional, then a 20% increase in oil ash could arguably lead to a 20% reduction in DPF lifespan. If a DPF is rated for 120,000 miles, a 1% ash oil would load the DPF at around 100,000 instead, which is far longer than any low-mileage TDI is going to have their original DPF. That's why it presents a unique opportunity to test these theories without the tester bearing the brunt of the costs of the tests.

KeyTDI February 15th, 2019 20:04

Actually, the "Height of Stupidity" is commenting so negatively before you read the thread.....

It is my understanding that 507 spec oil is 0.80% Sulphated Ash content and the M1 TDT oil I put in, as I had it to hand is 0.95%....

KeyTDI February 22nd, 2019 21:12

Passenger door seal/trim replaced with Junkyard item...

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q...psq8uswjix.jpg

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q...pst4ae9eyc.jpg

KeyTDI March 18th, 2019 15:05

Things have just been rolling along.
Car seems to be slow to catch when its been sitting for a few days...about 5 seconds of cranking... not sure if that is normal.
Almost at 122k, as I'm settled into my normal lower mile driving routine.
I've seen low 40s mpg on some runs, but the tank averages are about 35mpg... I tend toward shorter trips, which is why a higher mileage car did not scare me, as my annual mileage is barely 5k most years, it will gradually come back to average.

Wiped the tailpipe again last week and def some soot in there since I wiped it clean last time. Still no occurrence of the CEL tho.

Had a near miss on the freeway in the wet last month, idiot nearly hit me, driving like a moron in the wet, with no lights, and no regard for anyone else.

As a result, I decided to add a Dash Cam to the car.
Got the Togaurd 8" Mirror unit, and it has a 1080p front cam, 720p rear, that doubles as a reversing camera. Was on sale for $94.99.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Did a quick instal, but have not cleaned up and tucked the wires yet.
Like it so far.

CDubber March 18th, 2019 17:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeyTDI (Post 5492862)
Had a near miss on the freeway in the wet last month, idiot nearly hit me, driving like a moron in the wet, with no lights, and no regard for anyone else.

As a result, I decided to add a Dash Cam to the car.

Good idea. I was daily-driving a completely mint time capsule Ď98 Maxima SE (56k miles) I had found for my teenage son to drive and was driving it myself until he reached legal age. Some jerk clipped my corner on the freeway at 70 mph, sent me into multiple spins where I nearly went under a tractor trailer in an adjoining lane (I somehow bounced off his tire instead) and drove off without stopping. Amazingly I survived without a scratch but the car was toast. My Ď13 JSW is a replacement for that car.

Now Iím thinking I need a dash cam as well. There are some horrible humans out there.

KeyTDI March 18th, 2019 17:14

Someone we know had a guy stop at a junction, in front of him, overrunning the crosswalk by a couple of feet. The couple in the crosswalk glared at him, so he backed up. When the light changed, this idiot put his foot on the gas, but was still in reverse. He crashed into our friends caused $4000 of damage, then when the cops arrived, he claimed they rear ended him, made a big scene, went to the ER in an ambulance, etc. By pure luck, the couple had a Garmin Nuvi GPS unit on the dash which recorded the incident. Let’s just say that simple fact saved them them tens of thousands at least, and got the scumbag in a lot of trouble for making false statements.
I was sold, right there. $100 is a small price to pay for even your Deductable!

KeyTDI April 29th, 2019 09:02

Car is still running well.

I recorded a 53.2mpg run last week, but my tank averages are still running around 36mpg. 400+ miles per tank is good by my book!

Car still takes longer than I think is right to start from cold(California for cold is 60f!). Seems like it is 3-4 seconds cranking before it catches.

Definitely soot is appearing in the tail pipe, but still no further codes, so no good reason to go to the dealer yet.

Planning to do the timing belt soon, and also rear brakes.
I have noticed a slight shuddder when braking from 60-70 mph, and as the rears are very close to done, I will do those first.

I am going with Zimmerman Z coat rotors, but I wanted to go with Akebono Ceramic pads, but cannot seem to find rear pads for the TDI Wagon!
Anyone?

turbobrick240 April 29th, 2019 12:23

Did you try IDParts? I'm pretty sure they carry Akebono pads.

KeyTDI April 30th, 2019 08:56

Lots of places carry Akebono.
The issue is that they don't list REAR Wagon TDI pads.

Rear Sedan TDI pads are #EUR1456.
Rear Wagon GAS pads are #EUR340A or EUR340B(Assume that is the rotor size difference.
I have not checked my Rotor sizes yet.

They list the front pads as EUR1107 for TDI Wagon.

bizzle April 30th, 2019 09:30

The sedan pads are the same regardless of whether it's gas or diesel. The pads for the gas wagon should apply to the diesel wagon. The difference between "A" and "B" pads seems to be whether hardware is included with the pads.

CDubber April 30th, 2019 09:40

I have a shudder when braking as well on my Ď13 Buyback Buyback despite having only 28k miles. My Ď10 had 110k on the clock at buyback with the original pads and rotors and no braking issues whatsoever. Maybe sitting all that time in the fixit lot resulted in warped rotors?

Are there any special tools required to do a pad/rotor job on a VW?

I owned my Ď10 for 6 years and 110k flawless miles, and I didnít really do any mods to the car so I never had to shop for parts. Now that Iím in another JSW and am wanting to do some tweaks, Iím realizing just how infuriatingly difficult it is to identify parts that fit the car. Youíd think a vehicle that sold for 6 model years would actually be listed on retailer sites. Alas, many of the sites Iíve checked donít show the Jetta Sportwagen as an option. Do the sedan parts fit? How about the Golf parts? From which generation? Who knows? Curse VW for naming it a Jetta in the first place, rather than the Golf it really is. STUPID.

JELLOWSUBMARINE April 30th, 2019 10:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by CDubber (Post 5504338)
Youíd think a vehicle that sold for 6 model years would actually be listed on retailer sites. Do the sedan parts fit? How about the Golf parts? From which generation? Who knows? Curse VW for naming it a Jetta in the first place, rather than the Golf it really is. STUPID.

X2!

Where does VW come up with this confusion? Off the wall names like EOS. How about the identity crisis of the same body/gen 09-14 JSW... is it a mk5 or 6? What about it's Audi cousin THE A3, A4... is it a wagon, which body, mk5, mk6... ahhhh!:D

CDubber April 30th, 2019 10:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by JELLOWSUBMARINE (Post 5504355)
How about the identity crisis of the same body/gen 09-14 JSW... is it a mk5 or 6? What about it's Audi cousin THE A3, A4... is it a wagon, which body, mk5, mk6... ahhhh!:D

I used to believe the JSW was a MK6 car. Then someone at Eibach told me itís actually a MK5. If JSW isnít listed specifically on a parts seller site, I have absolutely no idea which parts will work. :/