TDIClub Forums

TDIClub Forums (http://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php)
-   VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014) (http://forums.tdiclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=81)
-   -   New Owner, 2012 Sportwagon... The Journey starts! (http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=495251)

BarryT82 January 20th, 2019 04:54

I contacted the seller and they haven’t replied.

KeyTDI January 20th, 2019 09:02

My Son and I are gearheads.
He went thru the car with a fresh set of eyes, his overall thoughts were he thought the car presented much better than he expected. He has a 2016 Audi Allroad, with 21k miles on it, so he has a good reference point. He was quite impressed with the way it drove, and said it didn’t feel tired or worn out. He also said it feels quicker off the line than his car. That low down diesel Torque I think.
Have added rear rotors and pads to my list, and might donthe fronts too, as it’s a cheap job. and my son thinks both front and rear rotors were turned as they look worn but have no lip.

BarryT82 January 20th, 2019 09:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeyTDI (Post 5476038)
My Son and I are gearheads.
He went thru the car with a fresh set of eyes, his overall thoughts were he thought the car presented much better than he expected. He has a 2016 Audi Allroad, with 21k miles on it, so he has a good reference point. He was quite impressed with the way it drove, and said it didn’t feel tired or worn out. He also said it feels quicker off the line than his car. That low down diesel Torque I think.
Have added rear rotors and pads to my list, and might donthe fronts too, as it’s a cheap job. and my son thinks both front and rear rotors were turned as they look worn but have no lip.

I purchased the PowerStop rotors and pads as a set from Summit Racing on eBay. I ordered them after 9pm on a Friday and they arrived Monday afternoon.

bizzle January 20th, 2019 09:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeyTDI (Post 5476038)

Turning rotors hasn't been recommended for at least decades; if it ever was for European imports, I can't remember when. Last time I looked into turning rotors, which had to have been at least twenty years ago, it was more costly to R&R and turn rotors than just putting new ones on. It's more likely they don't have a lip because they haven't been worn down enough to create one.

VW original brakes last surprisingly long--my 2012 wagon's brakes didn't look like they were anywhere near replacement at 130K and my 2015 wagon is the same way at 78K. I literally had to look my 225K bug's brake service up in a spreadsheet because I couldn't remember when they were first or last done (done 1 time only in 2/2012 at 176K). When I turned my 2016 eGolf lease in after three years I though about swapping pads over to my wagon because they were basically new (unsurprising on a regenerative braking electric car) but the 2015s *looked* about the same and I didn't bother measuring them.

Measure them to see if they're in spec if you are curious about it, or replace them if that makes you feel comfortable, but unless there is some indication they need replacement the ones you have are likely to last a while.

turbobrick240 January 20th, 2019 10:17

IDparts is a great vendor to get brakes and other general maintenance parts from. They have a wide selection of rotors and pads to choose from.

KeyTDI January 20th, 2019 17:12

The car brakes pretty good, but whilst the front pads look like they are great, the rotors are horrible. The rear rotors are not much better, but the pads are less than 3mm.
AutoHauzAz has been one of my fave suppliers for decades, and the has Bosch pads and rotor sets for $113 frontband $93 rear.

turbobrick240 January 20th, 2019 19:50

That's a good vendor too. I actually got some Bosch spark plugs for my 5 cylinder from them recently. I bought a golf 2.5l last month and it had the OE plugs in it at 120k miles! I've never seen plugs so worn down. The number 1 plug also had some cracks in the upper ceramic causing an occasional misfire. A few bucks worth of plugs and it runs like new.

KeyTDI January 21st, 2019 04:05

What are “Spark Plugs”? :)

Spent the day at Barrett Jackson yesterday... very cool!
My personal Favorite was a ‘72 Blazer with a Cummins stuffed in it that broke $70k!
Driving back to CA today.
Easily broke 550 miles on this tank, which is still impressive for a 14.5 gallon tank.
We generally find that we run 1/1.5 mpg better on the return journey for some reason.
Might try 38 psi in the tires and see how that feels.

BarryT82 January 21st, 2019 04:25

I filled the tires in mine to 35 psi and it seems to be good. I still need to get the wheels rebalanced. I took it to a place to get it done and they were out of stick-on weights. I’m off work today so I may try again after it warms up a bit. It’s -4°F right now and the high is 21°. I was adding up what I have into the car after all of the maintenance and headlights and I’m getting close to $10k. That’s including my travel to pick it up.

turbobrick240 January 21st, 2019 07:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeyTDI (Post 5476282)
What are “Spark Plugs”? :)

Spent the day at Barrett Jackson yesterday... very cool!
My personal Favorite was a ‘72 Blazer with a Cummins stuffed in it that broke $70k!
Driving back to CA today.
Easily broke 550 miles on this tank, which is still impressive for a 14.5 gallon tank.
We generally find that we run 1/1.5 mpg better on the return journey for some reason.
Might try 38 psi in the tires and see how that feels.

They're sorta like magically cheap glow plugs that make the 75 cent/gallon price differential between gas and diesel (here anyhow) significantly less painful. :D

That must have been one sweet Blazer. I can think of worse ways to spend a day than at a Barrett Jackson auction. Like shoveling out from over a foot of snow. :rolleyes:

bizzle January 21st, 2019 10:17

I keep my tires at 44psi.

KeyTDI January 22nd, 2019 09:23

Back home!

Cannot seem to post pics from my phone, so here we go.
Fault as read on the way out.

https://i135.photobucket.com/albums/...ps0fl2cezn.jpg

This was the result of the tissue wipe of the 2 tailpipes after the code and 800 miles of my ownership...
http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q...pslcpjsmwl.jpg

Twins... Kinda. My Boy's 2016 Allroad and my JSW in Az.
http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q...psbgwsz3kd.jpg

The quick VCDS scan we did showing Ash load...
Am I right in thinking this cannot be unless the DPF has been replaced????

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q...ps2a60mhcu.jpg

The return trip was done at 75 mph and against a stiff headwind, so only 39mpg average.

Thoughts after almost 1000 mile road trip...
Car ran great. Aside from the MIL on the way out, it felt strong and relaxed. My girl was very happy and commented she felt as comfortable in it as her ML. Rare praise!

Dead straight and true on the freeway. No vibrations or anything unusual. Tracks straight and doesn't seem to be sensitive to side winds or road lines like some cars I've driven.

Oddly, the tailgate latch I replaced is loose on its bolts it seems... I will inspect that today. Over rough patches of road it was rattling. I also have a rattle from the passenger side rear door trim area.
Seats were comfortable, but my failed lumbar support required a pillow behind me for the way back.
Windshield cracked all the way to the mirror now.

Lots more cleaning to do too!
After a few hundred miles, I found my right pant leg was "Stuck" to the side of the center console....:( My pant leg feels sticky there now... Yuk.

turbobrick240 January 22nd, 2019 09:47

Yeah, you definitely have a cracked dpf. I wouldn't wait too long to have VW replace it under warranty. I'm surprised since it looked to me like it had the dpf replaced recently in some of the photos.

KeyTDI January 22nd, 2019 10:00

How do you know?
What are the symptoms?

turbobrick240 January 22nd, 2019 10:04

When the dpf is fully intact there will be no soot whatsoever from the white napkin test. Maybe a very slight amount of dust. Plus the code you're getting is basically always the result of a cracked dpf. Better to deal with it sooner than later.