TDIClub Forums

TDIClub Forums (http://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php)
-   VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+) (http://forums.tdiclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   40K service checklist (http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=392394)

South Coast Guy November 27th, 2013 13:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChadS99SVT (Post 4366038)
I just got a quote from one dealer I frequent. $857.00 for the 40k+Dsg service.

He mentioned how to get a 15% discount but ugh hoping I can still find it cheaper than that at another dealer.

I have another month or so.

Some of the service you can easily do yourself; chaning cabin and engine air filter. Check local dealer websites for service coupons. I found one for 15% off any service and had that dealer service my DSG transmission. Clossest guro to me is 2 hours away, so not practical for me.

r11 December 21st, 2013 17:19

OK, did mine using the warm and dry weather we had today here in nj.

The plastic engine cover is friction fit, lifts right up, no tools required.

2012 takes 4.3L of VW-507 spec oil .

Use plenty of paper towels to mask and protect against the spills during the service.

I use plastic Rhino ramps for a number of years and a whole range of different cars, highly recommended.

To my surprise, oil filter came out very easily. The service crew at the dealer had already moved the wiring harness out of the way during the previous changes. All I had to do was tilt the filter a bit to the right and it came right out.

When doing visual inspection of the replacement filter it might look slightly different from the old one, there is a reason for it - paper on the bottom of the filter gets pushed in around the inner hole when it is inserted into the housing.

The bottom pan had 3 rear screws missing... Another reason to service your car yourself. What size are these ? I now need to acquire the replacements.

When putting new filter in, I placed the paper element into the housing first and then installed the top part. Don't forget to replace all 3 o rings. Lubricate all of them generously with fresh oil, especially the big one.

Fuel filter was a piece of cake. I removed the old one, SLOWLY, making sure I let most of the fuel drip back into the housing.

Then I SLOWLY sunk the new filter in. She started with may be 4 second hesitation. I do have a vcds, but didn't have to use it to prime the filter.

Did the air filters too, real easy stuff.

Yet to pour the DEF in, will do it tomorrow. Got "Peak DEF" at local auto parts store, 12 bux for what seems to be 2 gallons. I guess these are all the same.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

vw_norm December 23rd, 2013 07:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by r11 (Post 4389313)
The bottom pan had 3 rear screws missing... Another reason to service your car yourself. What size are these ? I now need to acquire the replacements.

from partsbase.org: N 90735604 hexagon socket head bolt with. hexagon socket head bolt with; shoulder; M7X28

When I dropped my oil pan to install the oil sensor, I was surprised by the number of 'barely' torqued bolts I came across. When yours came out, they were probably still on the splash shield, which you dealer dumped on the prior service. Always best to do your own servicing.

Robsride2 December 29th, 2013 15:32

My dealer charges 302.27 for the 40K on the 6MT. They gave me the pricing when I had the 30K service done.

lojeff10 December 30th, 2013 12:54

Amazing how different from one dealer/area to another.

Herkguy January 10th, 2014 12:46

Stonecrab, any chance you could post a copy of the receipt for the 40k service with DSG? My dealer wants 856 to do it but said they would match any other vw dealer so I would like to bring a copy in to show them.
Thanks Eric

StoneCrab January 17th, 2014 18:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Herkguy (Post 4408700)
Stonecrab, any chance you could post a copy of the receipt for the 40k service with DSG? My dealer wants 856 to do it but said they would match any other vw dealer so I would like to bring a copy in to show them.
Thanks Eric

I'd be happy to but don't want to post personal info. And I bet they wouldn't accept a partial or redacted copy. I did have a 15% off coupon which they applied to the whole service too. I have been very happy with my dealer's service department. I think the DSG service is too expensive but that isn't the dealer's fault. PM me for more info...

mikeymike214 January 19th, 2014 09:14

ok im confused... im still under the 3 year maintenance warranty. from reading on this thread it seems that the dsg service is out of your own pocket? why isnt the dsg part of the warranty?

gforce1108 January 19th, 2014 09:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeymike214 (Post 4417217)
ok im confused... im still under the 3 year maintenance warranty. from reading on this thread it seems that the dsg service is out of your own pocket? why isnt the dsg part of the warranty?

Because the first DSG service (at 40k) is after the 'free' maintenance ends (36k up to '13, 24k for a '14).

Bobmws January 23rd, 2014 16:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by gforce1108 (Post 4417236)
Because the first DSG service (at 40k) is after the 'free' maintenance ends (36k up to '13, 24k for a '14).

Had my 20k today, my dealer is good. I've told them going into the 10K that I would check everything before signing the invoice copy. Haven't seen an errant oil, fuel or Adblue drip, and all levels are perfect. I asked about the 40k/DSG service and was told ~$500! I can live with that. :)

cevans January 28th, 2014 12:27

$500, and you are okay with that!? You can buy the parts for about $100 and pay yourself $400 for the DIY!

cevans January 28th, 2014 12:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robsride2 (Post 4395955)
My dealer charges 302.27 for the 40K on the 6MT. They gave me the pricing when I had the 30K service done.

I find the concept of "40k" service amazing - last time I got whacked for about $500 and, when I asked what was done, they didn't' even replace all the filters.

You can do all the filter and the oil yourself for under $125, or pay a local shop a VERY generous $100 to do it for you and still save a lot of cash.

Bobmws January 29th, 2014 04:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobmws (Post 4421896)
Had my 20k today, my dealer is good. I've told them going into the 10K that I would check everything before signing the invoice copy. Haven't seen an errant oil, fuel or Adblue drip, and all levels are perfect. I asked about the 40k/DSG service and was told ~$500! I can live with that. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by cevans (Post 4426776)
$500, and you are okay with that!? You can buy the parts for about $100 and pay yourself $400 for the DIY!

Yes, I am, hone up on your reading skills.
I have faith in people I deal with face to face, not so much some one who solicits me on the internet. :mad:
FWIW, I do have a small business with a website, but I don't make a practice of prostituting myself by jumping into a thread and criticizing someone's choices.

Rico567 January 29th, 2014 11:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobmws (Post 4427413)
Yes, I am, hone up on your reading skills.
I have faith in people I deal with face to face, not so much some one who solicits me on the internet. :mad:
FWIW, I do have a small business with a website, but I don't make a practice of prostituting myself by jumping into a thread and criticizing someone's choices.

You, sir, are my new idol.

Rico567 March 9th, 2014 11:32

It is no doubt time consuming, but I believe it's the way to go when this "free service" runs out. I've been having a hard time rationalizing the purchase of VCDS for personal use, but since we've got a DSG, well, the first time I service it the VCDS will basically be paid for.....