TDIClub Forums

TDIClub Forums (http://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php)
-   Mid-west USA (http://forums.tdiclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Chicago 2009 TDI Owners: Non-Biodiesel Support Group (http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=237849)

Staggerlee July 24th, 2009 15:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by BTL
Agree...Bio is the real ticket out away from the city.

Found another petro station, I think.....Plainfield, Rt.59 and Renwick Road, Phillips 66. Labeled ULSD, no bio sticker, but pumps are pre pay only. Would be a station of last resort for me. That's two Phillips stations near me with no bio sticker, which leads me to believe maybe they are truly petro, as the pumps are clean and clearly labeled otherwise.

BTW...my best on a half tank in my '09 was 382 miles, believe it or not.

Am out in the same area of sorts. Is it the Citgo or Thornton's out there that has it?

Have been filling up at 59 & Ogden, though there are a few in the area....

dzcad90 July 24th, 2009 21:36

All the Thornton's I've seen in the Joliet/Plainfield area are labelled 6-20% Bio. I doubt any are different in the area. I think the station he's referring to is on the northeast corner of 59/Renwick. Pumps are all the way on the north end. Check to be sure though!

Jetta09Chicago July 27th, 2009 23:27

Feece Oil Co. REMOVED from List

Thanks to CornfieldCraig for correcting his post with the news that Feece Oil Co. (Batavia, Minooka and Ottawa locations) actually sells biodiesel during the summer. I have updated the master list to reflect this change.

If anyone edits prior postings in a way that should trigger a change to the master list, please also add a new posting at the end of this thread. I try to check this forum everyday, but I usually only skim the last two pages.

Thanks to everyone for your contributions. Please keep them coming. We still need some petrodiesel stations in the City of Chicago. I'm beginning to think they don't exist.

nibw July 28th, 2009 12:45

I fueled at the BP on Ashland and Fullerton (1607 W FULLERTON AVE). Stickers marked ULSD and no Bio notice. I asked and no one knew. Since many BP at at least B5 I took a chance. Best luck I've had downtown area so far.

PalosParked July 30th, 2009 13:57

Pilot Travel (and soon Flying J) sell B11 April thru Sept

Sorry guys for the misinformation....I just confirmed with the Pilot corporate diesel sales rep that All Pilots Travel centers in Illinois and Indianna sell B11 and will continue to do so...They are 'proud to be a green company'. I had to tell them that my TDI is green too, but I can't use their green fuel. Too much bio in there for us.:mad:

....She (PIlot) did tell me that they switch to diesel <6% for the winter months which for them begins in October and runs through March. She said that almost all their tanks turn over on a dialy basis so there is never any old fuel in there.

As far as the Flying J, it's still in bankruptcy court, but expect to see them switch to B11 also as Pilot takes over.:(

So...we're on a downward trend. Atlas oil sent me a listing of all their locations. Almost 100 of them in Illinois. As soon as I figure out which ones still sell diesel I'll post again. So far I've only confirmed 5 diesel locations..3 of which are already posted and nothing downtown or northward.

Sip'n Diesel July 30th, 2009 15:07

no need to apoligize. misinformation will happen, and it's up to us to identify it ASAP. a station that has BXX today could have pure D2 next month. and likewise, a station that has pure D2 today could have BXX next month

[rant]

I envision a perfect world where: everyone drives TDIs, straight 49+ cetane D2 comes from every station's pumps, and ASTM B99 is available from distributors for blending at the station or at home :D

I'm getting fed up with Illinois. why all the malarkey? just for some tax benefits no doubt... wouldn't it be nice if there were 2 varieties: D2 or B99. if you want a different blend: blend it yourself! :mad:

problem solved :cool:

[/rant] :p

PalosParked July 30th, 2009 15:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sip'n Diesel
no need to apoligize. misinformation will happen, and it's up to us to identify it ASAP. a station that has BXX today could have pure D2 next month. and likewise, a station that has pure D2 today could have BXX next month

I envision a perfect world where: everyone drives TDIs, straight 49+ cetane D2 comes from every station's pumps, and ASTM B99 is available from distributors for blending at the station or at home :D

I'm getting fed up with Illinois. why all the malarkey? just for some tax benefits no doubt... wouldn't it be nice if there were 2 varieties: D2 or B99. if you want a different blend: blend it yourself! :mad:

problem solved :cool:

[/rant] :p

Thanks for that sip'n...Yes I'm down...I had my hopes set up too high with Pilot.

It's hard to describe the fits of emotion you feel as you cry out in almost inhuman, blood curdling glee and laughter when you finally come upon someone who can confirm (in english) that they are selling D2.
.... and then there is the dismay in rejection.
.... BUT I forgot about the progress that we've made. So I 'll go back to this: (click here)

The future's not ours to see. Let's see if we can hang in there until VW authorizes an 'OK to use higher bio content blended diesel'.

:)

PalosParked July 30th, 2009 20:28

Here are four more D#2 BP locations supplied by Atlas Oil Co which uses BP diesel from Whiting IN: ...Sad...out of 90+ stations only 7 have diesel fuel. 3 have already been posted. Here are the rest. All south end. Maybe Texor and Parent Petrolium will report to us soon.

B P Amoco
9900 S Halsted St
Chicago, IL 60628-1036
(773) 429-9138

BP
3047 S Halsted St
Chicago, IL 60608-5804
(312) 842-0180

BP
4701 S Central
Forest View, IL 60638-1530
(708) 924-1553

BP 312 E Jefferson Str
Shorewood, IL 60404
(815) 725-1658

Jetta09Chicago July 30th, 2009 23:42

Finally . . . Confirmed City Petrodiesel!

Hey, PalosParked . . . You get a gold star for submitting the first confirmed non-bio stations within Chicago's city limits. Congratulations!

When I look back over several recent postings about Chicago stations, we see examples of people encountering a non-labeled pump and taking a gamble, since the station employees are unaware. Even worse, we have a reported "false negative" of the Mobil on Irving Park Road near I-90 where the manager confirmed they are selling biodiesel from non-lableled pumps. (Thanks to nibw for that info!)

Because of this, I agree with your suggestion that every diesel pump should be labeled. Just as gasoline purchasers have a right to know the octane level, so too diesel drivers ought to know the level of bio content.

nibw July 31st, 2009 12:38

Jetta09, I have come across quite a few in the city with stickers but a few marked not. I'll certainly continue the search. Luckily made it to the Des Plaines oasis at about 1/2 tank for D2. Just in case.
If Diesel is this inconsistent in Illinois I can only imagine what people are actually putting in there cars for gas!

BTL July 31st, 2009 12:51

The scary part is there WILL come a day when Petro D2 will be pretty much impossible to find. As a result, those of us with 09's and up will have to put B11 in them. Guess we'll all be one big experiment.

I tend to agree that there is likely some margin of error, so B11 might be just find. Until I have to, I won't be experimenting, however.

lorloff July 31st, 2009 13:59

I'm relative new, just on my 2nd tank on my TDI. I understand we're not supposed to use >B5, but it really won't cause an issue in 1 tank, right? It would be prolonged use that would cause the problem, if I understand correctly. Everyone seems to say if you change oil at 5k it should be ok. Sorry I'm such a newbie :D

PalosParked July 31st, 2009 16:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by lorloff
I'm relative new, just on my 2nd tank on my TDI. I understand we're not supposed to use >B5, but it really won't cause an issue in 1 tank, right? It would be prolonged use that would cause the problem, if I understand correctly. Everyone seems to say if you change oil at 5k it should be ok. Sorry I'm such a newbie :D

lorloff...Hello, welcome to the club/ thread. My guess is that almost everyone here has had a tank of B11 (or two). If you should fill with B11 and are concerned, run down a few gallons then fill'er up again with Diesel #2. The (diluted) % will go down. FWIW..I may have had some B11 in there:eek: . I did an oil analysis at 5500 miles that showed no trace of fuel in the oil. Oil change at 5000 miles is another issue entirely.
On another note.....I have been in email contact with Jess Hewitt, Hyperfuels. (synthetic diesel racing fuels) He called Pilot for us and confirms B11 in summer months. For you 'downstate' TDIers, heads up! Flying J is already asking for diodiesel supplies. Time to remove Flying J from our map.

lorloff July 31st, 2009 19:47

I'm going to check out a couple of diesel stations tomorrow to see if they can be added to the maps

Marathon - right by golf and higgins intersection
800 W Golf Rd
Schaumburg, IL 60194

The other is

Mobil
1706 Algonquin Rd
Hoffman Estates, IL

I'll let you guys know if they are bio or not.

CornfieldCraig July 31st, 2009 22:02

Woodman's at Hanson Blvd & Orchard Road in North Aurora, 1/2 mile N of I-88 has 100% petrodiesel -- and usually at a great price. In mid-July, I paid $2.25 when everywhere else it was $2.55. Gigantic, low-priced grocery store with a similarly large and low-priced liquor department.

The downsides are:

Only 1 pump, but at least it's apart from the gas pumps, so no one pumping gasoline gets in the way.

Pre-Pay, cash or check only. This means a minimum of two trips to the cashier if you want a 100% fill. What a PITB! There's usually only one cashier, too. There's a no-fee ATM at least.

151 Hansen Blvd
North Aurora, IL 60542-8986
(630) 723-3900
Get Directions