swapping PD engine for ALH in MKIV???

kirmet

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Galactic Blue
Have two TDI's now, one with ALH one with PD. If the PD dies would an ALH engine be an easy swap? Are the blocks the same? I suppose it would be easier to change the cam to something a bit more reliable than the PD, but WOuld be nice to have to cars with interchangable parts to keep them going for as long as possible.

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
I agree, its not worth the effort. I do believe you would have to transfer ALL of the ALH specific electronics, including the ECU and harness and then have the imobilizer synced with the ECU if that is possible, or you may even have to install the ALH vehicle's instrument cluster, which may introduce a new host of issues. If it were me, and I really wanted to do this swap, I would only do it if I found out it was possible from someone else who was successful.

--Nate

kirmet

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Galactic Blue
Yeah was wondering if it was a no brainer or at least a half brainer, figured it would be easier than converting a gas to diesel, sounds like it's about the same since you have to rewire a harness and other electronics.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
Yeah, Honestly if I was going to go through that effort, I would do a gasser to diesel swap instead.

Its also technically illegal to put a older engine in a newer body. Not to mention why the heck would I want to put a slower, weaker, louder, smokier engine in anyway?

kirmet

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Galactic Blue
Yeah, Honestly if I was going to go through that effort, I would do a gasser to diesel swap instead.
Its also technically illegal to put a older engine in a newer body. Not to mention why the heck would I want to put a slower, weaker, louder, smokier engine in anyway?
Reliability, better fuel economy and common parts with the other car I own. Not everyone wants to throw money at a 4 banger to try and make as much power as a stock v8 from the 60's

Last edited:

kirmet

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Galactic Blue
It is, I'm just thinking of trying to acquire another motor to build up in the garage and was hoping it would would go into the newer car if something bad happens to it.

BBB129

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon BHW 2004 Jetta 5 spd BEW - 99.5 jetta 5 speed - 1982 Mercedes 300D Manual 4 spd

The ALH is actually better on fuel economy and seems to have more get up and go in my experience (limited) although i did just read a bunch about it.

MartySam

TDI
2000 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
I'm pondering this same thing. Whitbread seems to think the wiring harness is not that difficult: (http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/showthread.php?42666-VW-TDI-Swap-info-guide)

Here's my conundrum: I have a 2000 Jetta TDI ALH sedan with 5MT that I would like to swap into a wagon. I would just sell it and find a TDI wagon, but I've already done head studs, new head, timing belt, and a Stage 2 clutch, so I can't stand to part with the drivetrain. (I know...I'm a stubborn fool.)

I've done a lot of reading on here and the Vortex about this and come across a variety of answers about everything TDI-swap related. Hard to know who to trust.

My questions:
I assume it would be easiest to find an ALH wagon with a blown motor, as it wouldn't require a harness swap?
I've found an 04 TDI wagon (BEW) with a blown motor for a decent price (albeit far away). Is that a good candidate for a swap? (I like the improved options of the 03+ Mk4's)
Some say it's just as easy to swap the ALH into a gas wagon as it is a BEW wagon because of the wiring harness - true? (there are also fuel lines and tank to consider, obviously, but probably insignificant relative to the rest of the job)

I could ask a lot more, but I'll quit there. Any help is appreciated. Certainly there is someone around here that has done this before...

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
If the plug/wiring/pin out is the same for the one that takes the wiring from ecu to cabin then you'd only need the engine bay loom but saying that the wiring just goes from the ecu to the plug board anyway, immo 3 cluster is pretty easy to match to the imo 2 ecu too. Lift pump already in place to feed the bigger nozzles you can add too.

I could be missing something but it sounds like a fairly easy swap to me. I'm going by european cars though, don't know if they're different in the states but yeh, wouldn't bother me doing it.

Dorkage

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Wagon TDI, 2004 Golf R32
I could be missing something but it sounds like a fairly easy swap to me. I'm going by european cars though, don't know if they're different in the states but yeh, wouldn't bother me doing it.
North America used EDC16 on the PD in the MK4. I think that is the only really difference between the ones in Europe.

kirmet

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Galactic Blue
I have a great ALH drivetrain, in a mediocre sedan chassis, with crap interior, I have a leaky unreliable BEW in a slightly better wagon body, with excellent leather interior...

I wish there was a definitive answer to this question. Or could find someone who has done this.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
The definitive answer is, YES, it can be done. But, it will be a major undertaking. The ALH and BEW engines are so different.. heads, fuel injection, electronics, etc., as others have stated.

Too much work,,,