Would you invest in Volkswagen?

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
No, and not just because I think enough of my $$ has already been exported offshore. The most important reason is that I don't want to be blamed for the stock tanking.

Oh, sure, you say. Yeah, I'd say that too, but I have a long and unfriendly history with Murphy, who won't move out of my house, and he'd do that just to spite me if I did.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Buying a stock after it has reported good earnings might not be the best thing to do. You are looking for a stock that will continue to produce earnings, preferably on an increasing basis going forward.

Whether that is your expectation of VW or not, is up to you to do your research.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Something that comes to mind is that there are several different classes of VAG stock. A couple years ago, when Porsche was trying to take over Volkswagen, there was a short squeeze and for a few days VAG was the most valuable company in the world. But what went up came down fast, and there are still some lawsuits out there filed by people who lost billions from selling short.

I think you need to do a lot of research, and even then it might be very difficult to determine what is a good price.

It seems to me that VAG makes a lot of profits in some markets, while it loses quite a bit in others. Right now it seems to be aiming at maximizing market share, not maximizing profits.

davebugs

Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI Automatic, MKIV rear axle bushing install tools
I owned it years ago when the symbol was VLKAY. At some point years ago it had lost it's US Sponsorship and I couldn' tfind a way to buy it here again. 15 years or so ago I had to sell it int he middle of a divorce.

When I'd think of it I never could find a way to buy it again. Haven' tlooked for a valid Symbol inthe US sinvce the car mess started.

I invest a LOT. As pointed out, unless it's AAPL which WILL crash someday nothing goes straight up.

VW wants to take over the world. That doesn't mean it'll be the best investment.

I've always made more money investin in out of favor stocks rather than ones that just reported stellar earnings.

steadyhand

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf '05 GLS TDI
Not to be flip to your question, but as much as I've spent on parts, I like to believe I have already "invested" in Volkswagen (and terribly so). My $21k Golf TDI in '05 has since turned into a $39k Frankenstein TDI....albeit still running strong....now if I could just get my nozzles clean/calibrated ($$$).

dwfdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Golf & 2012 Golf wagon, 1998 GMC 6.5 with 310,000km
I see it's been down for a bit but toady it closed up $7.80 a share. Ford did great after the crash but has recently leveled off at around $12. Since Vw made almost three times the profit margin the big three did I wondered if they would have a run up for that reason