P0087 Error Code @ Dealership for 2 Weeks Parts on Backorder - WWYD?

emerscape

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Lux
I bought my 2012 Touareg TDI CPO back in October 2019 with 72k miles. I'm now at 85k miles. Two weeks ago as I was driving the glow plug light came on and the vehicle reduced power. The MIL illuminated shortly thereafter. I brought it to my trusted local dealership where I bought the car and have been using them for service on my other VWs for many years. They provided me with a Tiguan loaner and sent me on the way. I received a call shortly thereafter saying that there was an issue with the fuel system and they would be ordering parts. Fast forward two weeks and they are saying that all the parts have come in except for one and it is on national backorder. I spoke to them this morning and they've escalated to VW, but no timeline for it to be repaired. The dealership has been great, I don't mind the Tiguan and I know I'm not putting miles on my Touareg but it isn't convenient (i.e. can't put the dog in it, it doesn't have a hitch, roof rack, etc. so it isn't easy to travel with the kids). I know there is a lot going on in the world right now and I'm totally understanding, I just have a concern about the fact that parts aren't easily available for my Touareg and whether this is an indication of things to come. Anyone else have similar issues?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
We had about 15 RX330s waiting for brake boosters for over a month when I was at Lexus. ChryCo has 1100 (that is one thousand one hundred) Pentastar cylinder heads currently on backorder. And we waited three weeks for a flexplate for a Pentastar that was also on backorder. Nissan had thousands of fuel injectors on back order one time during their big recall.

Those are just a few examples. It happens. The manufacturers sometimes get caught with their pants down. Fortunately you have a loaner. You *might* see if you can contact VoA and ask for a hardship consideration for a different vehicle if you genuinely feel you need it. My brother did this with his Tundra. They gave him a RAV4 loaner, and he was literally getting ready to go on a camping trip when his truck went in for its latest Takada airbag recall and they accidentally broke the dashboard. They ended up letting him get a rental F150 instead...which he promptly remarked about how much more power it had and that it used less fuel towing his camper... hey, at least Ford still bests the Japanese in some areas. :D

emerscape

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Lux
Thanks Oilhammer. Glad to see you are still here (it has been a few years since I've been active here) and providing valuable advice. Just got a call from the dealership (again they've been really good about keeping me updated) to say that the part is now on a 4-6 week backorder. They are letting me keep the Tiguan for now but understand my issues about the dog, needing a trailer hitch, etc. They recommended that I escalate to VWOA which I will. I'm planning on asking for (in order of priority) an extension to my CPO for the time that the vehicle has been out of service, putting me in a loaner/rental with hitch & rack, and if this continues past the 4-6 weeks to consider buying back my vehicle and helping put me with financing for another. interestingly enough the dealer has the exact same car (except it is exec trim vs. lux trim) with 40k miles for $5k more than I purchased mine. Kinda want to push them to exchange the vehicles. Might be a pipe dream but you never know!

emerscape

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Lux
Quick update here: spoke with a nice gentleman at VWOA who unfortunately couldn't provide much in the way of assistance with the exception of noting that the HPFP did grenade and took the fuel system with it. They have all of the parts with the exception of the fuel rail which I'm being told needs to be made to spec for my vehicle and the vendor has provided an ETA of May for the part. VWOA can't do anything as far as getting me into a different vehicle (we can make the Tiguan work) and will revisit the extension of my warranty and any potential compensation for inconvenience when the vehicle is repaired.

Anyone else ever have difficulty getting parts like this or is it just the impact of COVID-19?

emerscape

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Lux
Quick update... still waiting on parts. Have been going back and forth between VWOA and the dealership. Supposedly the supplier can't get the material to manufacture the part. Right now they are saying an eta of mid-to-late June but I don't believe it.

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
Man, that sucks. Keep us informed with updates and any successes.