Diesel pumps auto shut off at set price?

jimnms

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon 5-speed Tiptronic
Has anyone run into places that shut the diesel pumps off at a set price? I had this first happen a couple of months ago. The pump shut off at $35. I had to reset the pump and put another 1.3 gallons in to top it off.

That first time, I thought maybe the attendant shut the pump off thinking they were saving me or something, so I went inside and asked him to turn the pump back on. He siad the diesel pumps shut off at $35 for some reason, and to just hang up the nozzle and reset it. This was before the hurricane mess btw.

It happened again last night at a Texaco, the pump shut off at $45, 2.5 gallons from full.

bigEZ

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta Sportwagen; 2006 New Beetle
at the moment, i wish the pump would shut off at $35 and my tank would be full! as it is, a full load is costing me in the $50 range. so, to answer your question (after whining a little), no, i have not run into an auto shutoff situation anywhere.

LanduytG

Vendor
TDI
99 NB 82 Westfalia Diesel
Most pumps shutoff at $75 to $100. The local Wal Mart changed just recently to $125 for those of use with big tanks. They get a lot of pickup business.

Greg

LeeChristianson

TDI
'13 Jetta TDI Moonrock Sil w/prem.
Has anyone run into places that shut the diesel pumps off at a set price? I had this first happen a couple of months ago. The pump shut off at $35. I had to reset the pump and put another 1.3 gallons in to top it off.

That first time, I thought maybe the attendant shut the pump off thinking they were saving me or something, so I went inside and asked him to turn the pump back on. He siad the diesel pumps shut off at $35 for some reason, and to just hang up the nozzle and reset it. This was before the hurricane mess btw.

It happened again last night at a Texaco, the pump shut off at $45, 2.5 gallons from full.
I've never heard of such a thing, at least not here in TAX HELL WISCONSIN..

mctdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta
Each station or chain set the cutoff limit for the pumps in their control for the pumps. With the price going up per gallon stations have had to increase the cutoff limit.

This cutoff limit is tied to the amount that is pre-aproved from your credit card when scaned at the pump. If someone only has $80.00 left to use on their credit card and the station has its cutoff set at $100.00, that person will not get to pump fuel with paying at the pump.
People doing this is not uncommon with their credit cards. <font color="blue"> So stations try to not go to high on the cutoff limit.
</font>
And FYI Bob is doing this at his stations, like most stations, in Wisconsin too.

McBrew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS TDI, 5 speed, Silver/Grey
mctdi is exactly right.

However, I think some stations are a bit low these days. I filled my Sprinter from a large (high-flow) truck nozzle and it cut off at $50. These days, I can put just over $50 into my Golf. One of the old 300Ds I used to drive had an aluminum auxiliary fuel tank in the trunk. With a total capacity of about 45 gallons, I would hit the limit from time to time.