mileage to expect pulling 5x8 enclosed tlr.

2002tdijetta

TDI
jetta,2002,black
I am working for a company where I need to travel a lot and install satelite tv. I am going to have to pull a 5x8 aluminum enclosed trailer with my supplies. load will be no more than a 200-400 pounds in trailer. I ordered a hitch and bought the trailer. I am hoping for 35mpg if I drive 65mph. Has anyone had any experience with towing a trailer of this size and weight and what mileage did you get. I have a 2002 jetta 5spd. I live in Arizona so the temp here is in the 60's and 70's in the sun. Thanks for your help!

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
How tall? The taller it is the worse it is. With a low trailer, expect 35+, with a taller trailer, expect under 35.

meganuke

TDIClub Contributor, Vendor
TDI
2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid
I tow a small teardrop camper that is 5' wide. It is basically as tall as the car and as wide, so the frontal area isn't increased by much at all. The fenders on the camper are the only thing that really stick out beyond the car. The trailer weighs 880 lbs empty, probably 1200 lbs loaded. I pulled it to Impexfest last May, with the A/C on most of the way, and was keeping up with the left lane traffic (65-75 mph). I averaged 37.5 mpg for that trip.

bugablue

Veteran Member
TDI
98 beetle
i don't know what kind of mileage you will get, but i towed my girlfriends dodge daytona home once. You will be very pleased with the towing ability of these cars if you have a few modifications.
I put it down in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear and it pulled much harder than i expected it to. It sent shivers down my back.
i have smog .205 nozzles, and a steep evry mod in a 98 nb.

TDI_Convert

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 5 sp., 2003, Silver/Grey Int.
This April I drove from South Bend, Indiana to Crossville, Tn with a 4' x 8' trailer that had 2' tall sides/front/back - no roof 'cept a blue tarp. I could see that the air was piling up in the rear of the trailer by the way the tarp was pasted to the rear of the trailer. 75 - 90 mph most of the way. The trailer weighs close to 400#, and it was virtually empty. 32 mpg.

With winter snow tires (Green Diamonds), a flat plywood "roof" and winter fuel netted 37 mpg @ 70 mph, with close to 900# trailer weight. 90% highway miles.

Height will matter. If you can make some sort of a "wedge" of the front wall of the trailer, it will help split the wind. Even if it's a false front. I'd make a cheap, quick and dirty one and see if it's worth making a better one for any mileage improvements.

Now, mine is a wagon, and I usually pull down 50 mpg with summer tires and 65 - 70 mph speeds.

Chemboy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen DSG
Pulled a 5'x8' U-haul trailer, completely filled and wouldn't be surprised if it weighed around 2000 lb, across the US in August. We typically drove 65 - 70 mph and got around 25 mpg.

--Andy

48 MPG

Veteran Member
TDI
97 Passat
I get 36-38 at 70 towing my MY-T-Lite with my B4. Looks like a Pop-Up Scamp, if they made one. 6 feet tall closed, 1150 pounds.

2002tdijetta

TDI
jetta,2002,black
Well the results are in on my mileage. They were better than I expected. I bought a 5x8 trailer from Home Depot for 699.00 and it has 2' sides front and rear and the left and right sides on it are a little over a foot. puts them slightly higher than my trunk lid. I have about 200 pounds in it. trailer weighs 500lbs so a total of 700lbs. I have been driving city and interstate mix doing my installs going 65mph on the hwy and whatever in the city. I filled up and netted 45mpg. I will post back on my next tank to see if it is consistant. 110 rule I guess. My car usually gets 58mpg at 65mph. I love my jetta TDI!!!!

TDikook

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'06 Golf Anthracite Blue
Yup, if its not taller than you car, youll be fine. I towed a UHAUL 5x8 trailer from Ithica NY to the Gulf coast a few months back, cruising 65-70 and got a steady 30+/-2 mpg. the car didnt even feel like there was anything there. these cars can haul ALL DAY LONG. I ususally get around 42 mpg at highway speeds. so that is good.
oh, yeah, and I had the .681 gears in, it was wierd having to be REAl careful to not have the RPMs too low.
Eric B

48 MPG

Veteran Member
TDI
97 Passat
MY-T-Lite....

They were made a short time in the late 80's early 90's in Washington, I have only seen 3 others in the past year. Stand up height in 30 seconds, with a big bed, heat, stove and refrigerator. 1100 pounds loaded of white retro fiberglass. I paid 500 bucks for mine (great deal, in exc condition) and changed the torsion axles to add electric brakes. Prodigy brake controller on my B4, works great without taxing the brakes or control of the Passat. I will try and take pictures and post them on this thread next couple of days. Digging out of 100 year wind storm here in Seattle, power finally back on!

newguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6M White
My passat wagon which i used to pull my popup camper that is 3300lbs loaded up gets about 24mpg driving rather agressive 65-70mph. The best I have got is 42mpg unloaded going 65-70mph. typically the car is a 28-30mpg in town car (wife drives) and 35-38mpg freeway.

No idea for a 5-speed though... the passat is a 2.0L tiptronic.