TDIClub Forums

TDIClub Forums (http://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php)
-   General VW Discussion (http://forums.tdiclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   2019 is the last year for Sportwagens and Alltracks (http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=500632)

JSWTDI09 July 18th, 2019 10:44

2019 is the last year for Sportwagens and Alltracks

VW has announced that 2019 will the last year for Sportwagens and Alltracks in North America.
https://www.motor1.com/news/360363/v...killed-us/amp/

They will be replaced by the new crossover tentatively named the Tarek (called a Tharu in China). The article says that Sportwagen and Alltrack production will cease in December 2019.

Have Fun!

Don

TDI Kovács July 18th, 2019 10:46

Another stupid move by VW.

Guess they want to be like all the other bland car manufacturers.

The Beetle, Golf, JSW and diesels defined VW.

JSWTDI09 July 18th, 2019 10:52

Don't forget that over 60% of Sportwagen sales were TDIs (when they were available). I'm sure that the death of TDIs has had a big impact on sportwagen sales. Whether it is a stupid decision or not remains to be seen. My biggest issue is that the Sportwagen was the ONLY wagon available with a manual transmission, it might be the last.

Have Fun!

Don

truman July 18th, 2019 11:26

From a business standpoint I think the Tarek has a lot more sales potential than Sportwagon. Unfortunately, our options are shrinking in the process. It's a sad situation for enthusiasts.

tactdi July 18th, 2019 11:59

Subaru Impreza's and Crosstrek's are available with 3 pedals.

bmc1980 July 18th, 2019 12:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by tactdi (Post 5522847)
Subaru Impreza's and Crosstrek's are available with 3 pedals.

Those are hatchbacks/crossovers, not true station wagons.

tactdi July 18th, 2019 12:39

4 doors, with a rear hatch. We have an Impreza, and it looks, feels, and holds stuff like a wagon.

JSWTDI09 July 18th, 2019 14:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by truman (Post 5522835)
From a business standpoint I think the Tarek has a lot more sales potential than Sportwagon. Unfortunately, our options are shrinking in the process. It's a sad situation for enthusiasts.

I am very curious whether or not the Tarek name will stick. I have known 3 different people with a first name of Tarek ( 2 from Algeria and one from Iraq). Apparently it is a common first name in Arabic countries.

Have Fun!

Don

IndigoBlueWagon July 18th, 2019 14:55

Honestly it doesn't look horrible. And an article I read said it will have a different name in the US.

Wonder if they'll offer a manual transmission.

tikal July 19th, 2019 09:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by TDI Kovács (Post 5522824)

From a TDIClub standpoint, it is definitively a 'stupid move by VW'. No doubt.

Unfortunately we (meaning TDIClub members) are not representative at all of what the average American car buyer wants: SUVs (maybe some CUVs) and if the budget allows a truck (meaning the payments have been divided in so many months/years that it looks 'affordable'). I am sure TDIClub members have some strong opinions on what the average American buyer wants but we are such an infinitesimally small portion of the population that, from a business standpoint, our impact is close to negligible.

So from now on to buy a true diesel wagon (less than 10 years old) in the US that is not morphing to become a CUV/SUV then you will have to go with the likes of a 2015 Golf SportWagen.

2.2TDI July 19th, 2019 10:12

Sad, really, really sad

Unfortunatly it's not a stupid move by VW, it's exactly what will raise their sales because it's yet another CUV/SUV

so now they will have in their lineup (worldwide)

T-cross
T-roc
Tiguan
Touareg
Atlas
Tarek (or whatever the name will be)
and possibly others

It used to be simple back in the day, it was the regular SUV segment (like a BMW X5 or Mercedes ML), and then the small SUV segment (the likes of a Toyota RAV4 or Honda CRV)

Now, there are multiple variations between all of these CUV/SUVS... They are all pretty much the same thing, just some smaller then others and they all have the raised SUV look, which is what sells for whatever reasons that I will never understand

Just look at BMW, it used be just the X3 and X5, now there's the X1 all the way through to the X7... blows my mind

IndigoBlueWagon July 19th, 2019 10:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by tikal (Post 5523068)
Unfortunately we (meaning TDIClub members) are not representative at all of what the average American car buyer wants.

Sadly, this is true. Europeans still like wagons, and (gasp!) hatchbacks, but they're dying here. And manual transmissions are almost gone. I was at my TDI Guru's shop an hour ago and he was saying that the only thing that will bring interest in cars (and possibly diesel engines) back is probably a combination of a huge fuel price spike and a recession. Which is what we had when the common rail TDIs were launched. But I don't see that happening, nor am I sure I would want it to.

romad July 19th, 2019 12:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by TDI Kovács (Post 5522824)

Ditto. I expect VW to be totally gone from these United States in less than 5 years as only overpriced crap is left.

romad July 19th, 2019 12:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2.2TDI (Post 5523093)
Sad, really, really sad

Unfortunatly it's not a stupid move by VW, it's exactly what will raise their sales because it's yet another SUCV

There, I fixed it for you. :D

romad July 19th, 2019 12:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndigoBlueWagon (Post 5522902)
Honestly it doesn't look horrible. And an article I read said it will have a different name in the US.

Hopefully as having an islamic terrorist's name won't do much for sales.

Quote:

Wonder if they'll offer a manual transmission.
It would be nice, but by the time they get it emissions certified, VW will most likely be closing the last dealership in these United States. :(