TDIClub Forums

TDIClub Forums (http://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php)
-   Audi SUVs (Q7 & Q5) and other V6 TDIs (http://forums.tdiclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=84)
-   -   TDI veteran, now in Q5 (http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=473453)

Mythdoc January 29th, 2017 16:41

TDI veteran, now in Q5

Hi! Thought I'd introduce myself. I'm a 2011 Touareg TDI owner awaiting buyback. I couldn't face a future without diesel torque so I just purchased a 2015 Q5 TDI. I am confident that the 3.0l gen 2 fix will leave us in good shape. Also I am betting that good service on the TDI engine will be available either through my Audi dealer or third party mechanics in Knoxville, a city with several Euro-brand independent mechanics. That said, the generous buyback is what enables me to swap into the Q5, gaining four model years and losing 64000 odometer miles (from 72k to 8k).

I know many owners are pissed at VW group, and for plenty of good reasons, but I am trying to make the most of this weird situation. Most people, I think, would agree that the 3.0 TDI is a beautiful beast of an engine.

BarryT82 January 30th, 2017 16:44

My wife and I both have Q5 TDI's and love them. I've had mine for about a year and a half, but we recently purchased hers when we sold the Passat TDI back to VW. What color did you get? Do you have any plans to modify it?

RebelTDI January 31st, 2017 12:23

Once you drive a 3L turbodiesel, it's hard to go back to the smaller diesels. The 3L is so much more powerful and smoother. You don't take a big hit in terms of mpgs. My Q5 gets upper 30s on the highway and the 535d gets mid 40s. It's a case of having your cake and eating it, too:)

bioburner January 31st, 2017 21:33

I'll join the party here, the dieselgate forum is such a downer. Had exceptional service from an '03 wagon, bought a JSW post dieselgate (that's going back next week for a nice profit) and couldn't resist getting a Q7 for a very reasonable price. I look forward to the extended warranty that will come along with the "fix". The 3.0 is very satisfying to drive. Thanks VAG for making outstanding vehicles .

Mythdoc February 2nd, 2017 21:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarryT82 (Post 5229902)
My wife and I both have Q5 TDI's and love them. I've had mine for about a year and a half, but we recently purchased hers when we sold the Passat TDI back to VW. What color did you get? Do you have any plans to modify it?

Cuvée silver with chestnut interior, sport package, technology package, 20 inch wheels. Beautiful car. It'll take some adjusting back to a knob and button approach to the infotainment, since the Touareg has a touch screen. On the trip back from the dealer I was going faster than I intended...forgot I was hauling like 1000 less with the same engine!

DanB36 February 7th, 2017 10:45

I've also made the move from the 2-liters to a Q5 TDI--a 2014 in my case, Monsoon Gray with gray interior and the Prestige package. I do miss 40+ mpg, but the Q5 is a very nice ride.

RebelTDI February 7th, 2017 11:22

Audis are really nice. They do an interior right. What's the plan for the A3?

DanB36 February 7th, 2017 11:59

The A3 has replaced my wife's Mustang. A very different car, but she's happy with it. I was thinking I might have to spring for an S3, but maybe we'll look at a tune for the A3 once the fix is sorted out.

psd1 February 13th, 2017 12:47

Us too!

Interesting, we bought a 14 Q5 Prestige TDI on the 2nd to replace the 12 Touareg we bought in November to replace the 13 Passat that we sell back in March. Now we will sell back the Touareg and wait for the outcome on the Q5.

The Q5 is a step above the Touareg for sure fit and finish wise and should return better mileage. I would like to look in to tuning it but I will wait for Gen II 3.0 news.

enricoleone February 13th, 2017 18:51

Sweet, keep trading up and you'll end up in a Cayenne diesel by next year ��

aimstylus February 15th, 2017 14:25

I'm in the same boat!

Purchased a 15 Q5 with the TDi yesterday to replace my 12 Golf TDi

Can't wait to get it tuned and dpf/adblue deleted :)

Mythdoc February 16th, 2017 07:38

Good for you! Great minds think alike! What colors/features?

BarryT82 February 17th, 2017 07:29

I installed the Chipwerke Pro module on my wife's Q5 TDI last week. It makes a huge difference in the power while improving the fuel economy.

RebelTDI February 17th, 2017 10:34

Interesting. Can you give us some before and after mpg data? I've never thought the 3L TDI to be lacking in power, but it must be pretty impressive now.

KITEWAGON February 17th, 2017 11:57

Are the Q5 TDI's completely outside of the scandal? Or are they the same as the 2014 Touareg that we just bought with an expectation of a software fix?

A Q5 with a 3.0 TDI must be great fun. I thought that they only offered those with a 2.0 TDI for some reason. They haven't been in the budget so I haven't looked closely at them.