2microntech - Helping to Keep Your Common Rail VW Alive!!

bhutchins

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta TDiCup, 02Q built Sept 2010
PM Sent

update 10/22/2013: I have been running the contain rev.1, and now the new 1 micron contain rev.2 since february 2013. I'm pushing the limits of the CR140 design with 234WHP and 404WTQ, this is top quality insurance for the abuse I am putting the fuel system through. I've been running the pure-flo since before its release, with no issues with the kit. I'll be upgrading the factory CP4.1 fuel pump to a 4.2 to meet the demands of what my engine needs and continue to run both.

Last edited:

red64chevelle

Veteran Member
TDI
mk6 Golf TDI, mk4 Jetta TDI, Beetle TDI
For anybody sitting on the fence, Andrew is the only one keeping me in my CR VW. Great products that are thought out much better than the OEM.

2micron

Vendor
TDI
None
Contain Flow return filter update. Sorry folks.
I greatly apologize.
Recent discussion has raised concerns that the 5 micron filters used in this kit are not suitable to contain the Sub Micron particles, created after an HPFP failure.
No more kits will be sold at this time. A better filter will be sourced and flow tested to help satisfy the concerns raised by our great club members!
Sorry to all.
Thanks for the understanding,
Andrew

schultp

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen, 6sp manual
I am saddened by your decision but understand. For everyone else, Andrew is an upstanding individual and really cares about helping others. Andrew has been extremely diligent in thinking out the process of testing and developing add-ons that would reduce the damage of a catastrophic HPFP failure. Certainly, he is not able to afford to mimic the failure in a controlled test setting. But, his add-ons have been tested and shown to not pose a risk IMHO. Please continue to encourage Andrew to continue his great work for all of us.

I'd like to openly say thank you to Andrew for everything he has done. Even if his products don't continue to be developed.

nhdude

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6M gone back to VWoA, 1996 Passat Wagon (RIP)
I'm thinking 5 microns is still better than no filtration. Hope your quest for a finer filter is successful and we see this great concept available to us again!

Last edited:

wrpercival

TDI
2012 Jetta TDi Wagon
I'm thinking 5 microns is still better than no filtration. Hope your quest for a biner filter is successful and we see this great concept available to us again!
I agree. If the existing/stock filter is less efficient, doesn't that presume that there are already contaminants (dirt, etc) that are less than 5 microns in size that are passing through the entire system?

bobt2382

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
2010 CW GOLF 4DR 6MT TDI
I agree. If the existing/stock filter is less efficient, doesn't that presume that there are already contaminants (dirt, etc) that are less than 5 microns in size that are passing through the entire system?
Good point...

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
I'm thinking 5 microns is still better than no filtration. Hope your quest for a biner filter is successful and we see this great concept available to us again!
This is exactly the reason why I have no intention of removing my return filter. It will stay in my car - at least until 2micron comes up with a better design.

Have Fun!

Don

whatnxt

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Q5 TDI Premium +
The ALHs and PDs run a CAT (2 micron) or a 1 micron filter as an upgrade to the OEM filter with no issues. Why would running one of these "type" be an issue with the CR?

As has been said, even at 5 micron, this is an improvement.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The ALHs and PDs run a CAT (2 micron) or a 1 micron filter as an upgrade to the OEM filter with no issues. Why would running one of these "type" be an issue with the CR?

As has been said, even at 5 micron, this is an improvement.

IF (big if) the problem is sub-micron particles, even a 1 micron filter might not be enough. Our biggest problem is how little we really know about the number and size of contaminate particles. We are forced to do some guessing here.

Have Fun!

Don

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I'm waiting on the IC drain kit. Seems like this would be the easiest to install and the least noticable when I get service done.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'm waiting on the IC drain kit. Seems like this would be the easiest to install and the least noticable when I get service done.
I'm waiting for that too. However, I'm lucky, so this is a low priority. Where I live moisture (in any form) is pretty rare. There is not much condensation when the relative humidity is measured in single digits. People here consider 30% humidity to be "muggy". They have no idea what muggy really feels like (I lived for several years in Louisiana). Also there is no issue with freezing when the temperature in my garage rarely goes below 50 degrees F. at night and daytime temps are always above freezing.

Not only would is be the least noticeable, but it would also probably be the least objectionable to a dealer.

Have Fun!

Don

schultp

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen, 6sp manual
This is exactly the reason why I have no intention of removing my return filter. It will stay in my car - at least until 2micron comes up with a better design.

Have Fun!

Don
Mine will stay on my car. I still am using the original bracket. I do wish I got one of the new brackets simply for the elegant look of this solution! But, the original bracket certainly serves my needs.

The problem will continue to be that someone will always point out that whatever we filter out there will still be a chance of a smaller particle getting through and causing damage. Since we cannot do the definitive testing these naysayers will always be able to claim they could be correct. But an important point is that I never considered Andrews products as some sort of guarantee that the HPFP would never fail but that the damage would be limited to only the pump (if using both the Contains Flow and Pure Flow products).

Also, I suppose one proof that sub 5 micron particles are less of a concern to the VW engineers is the fact that the main OEM fuel filter has a micron rating that is above 5 micron from what I recall. Seems like they didn't have worries about the need to filter down to less than 5 microns. I wonder what kind of sub 5 micron particulate crap is in our diesel fuel to begin with?

elkriver

TDI
2001 Jetta, 2011 Jetta
It would increase the cost but Nicktane's Uber filter looks about as good as anything available. Don't think it would fit the mount as currently configured. And, it wouldn't do anything to increase the effectiveness of the stock supply filter. If the folks who complained want perfect, it isn't available. People like them would rather live with the status quo. they must be under 60k miles.

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
I love the drain flow intercooler kit. Nice work. I'll definitely consider one for our car, though the problem is that my wife would never remember to use it.

On the return fuel filter I would be curious what the potential cost savings is for having this device in the event of an HPFP failure. I still don't have a handle on what the 'real' not dealership repair cost is for that failure, but I'd be curious if this would reduce the repair by $500 or several thousand.

EDIT: Sorry to post this in the vendor thread. I just realized that there was a whole other thread for discussion on this part.

Last edited:

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
On the return fuel filter I would be curious what the potential cost savings is for having this device in the event of an HPFP failure. I still don't have a handle on what the 'real' not dealership repair cost is for that failure, but I'd be curious if this would reduce the repair by $500 or several thousand.
If the filter works as planned (which is what the current controversy is about) it would drastically reduce the cost. Currently it is in the 7-10 thousand dollar range - replacing the entire fuel system from tank to injectors. With the return filter alone, you would only have to replace the HPFP, fuel rail and injectors. With the filter and 2microns HPFP mod, you would only have to replace the HPFP and one fuel filter (under $1000 in parts). This, of course, assumes that the filter actually catches all of the HPFP debris particles. Since there has not yet been an HPFP failure with these parts installed - this is all conjecture, not fact.

Have Fun!

Don

wanabe

TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen, Laser Blue, manual transmission
Also, I suppose one proof that sub 5 micron particles are less of a concern to the VW engineers is the fact that the main OEM fuel filter has a micron rating that is above 5 micron from what I recall. Seems like they didn't have worries about the need to filter down to less than 5 microns. I wonder what kind of sub 5 micron particulate crap is in our diesel fuel to begin with?
I agree with your logic but it seems that the system needs a better filter than comes standard. I.e., the engineers were wrong. Otherwise we would not need to replace parts upstream from the filter. I have a vague memory from years ago that Bosch specified the filtration needed for the HPFP but I can't find it now. If the filter meets those specs then it is the Bosch engineers that were wrong. Does anyone have those specs?

ihatespeed

Veteran Member
TDI
11 tdi wagon 6mt 15 golf 6mt (Wife's) 2000 Ford 350 7.3l 6mt 4x4 (technically a TDI)
I wouldn't take my contain flow off if you told me it sold crack in the elementary school. Id love to get the pure flow as well.
As far as I'm concerned a 5 micron filter is so much superior than passing pump guts straight back to the clean side of the stock filter where it is free to go unimpeded right back through the fuel rail again, its not even funny.

joeelmex

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Premium
Can we still buy them if we want? I will rather have some protection over no protection. Keep up the great work.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Can we still buy them if we want? I will rather have some protection over no protection. Keep up the great work.
I do not know if 2micron is closely following these threads. It appears that there are many members here who are aware of the possible limitations of this kit and want it anyway. I would suggest sending PMs to 2micron. I do know that he has about 30 of these kits built, but he has officially suspended sales due to concerns about it's usefulness. If enough people tell him that they are aware of the issues and still want to buy it, he might be willing to sell some more. I cannot speak for him, but it can't hurt to ask.

Have Fun!

Don

elkriver

TDI
2001 Jetta, 2011 Jetta
I can rig up my own return filter set up but I can't machine my own Pure Flow adapter. Do we know if these will ever be available?

bhutchins

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta TDiCup, 02Q built Sept 2010
a lude analogy, but a condom is 99%, not 100% but close. not using one is looking for trouble. you want one that's 100%???

5uM filter is not 100%, but 99%, go without and you could be looking for trouble. I know, I've got a tween and a teen. lots of touble, but worth it.