EGR weeping oil

ketchupshirt88

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat daily, a bunch of others in the graveyard out back...
So... my egr is weeping oil, progressively getting worse... probably my own fault, im sure i got some sort of solvent in there when i cleaned the intake.

im going to remove it, not for performance gains or to reduce intake cleaning or whatever reason ppl remove perfectly functioning EGR's... but because it failed and i refuse to spend $200 on a used MKIII intake/EGR when i dont have that kind of cash and if i did i could get a better flowing intake for similar money... ( i know, i know, whatever helps me sleep at night... lol)

***im looking for issues (or alternative suggestions) to how im going to have to fix this. Also any issues that generally accompany an EGR delete?

>>>physically chop out or gut the egr, buy block off plates and coolant hoses required. cost ~ $50 + tune and later needing a frost heater for my comfort in WI winter

>>>next idea is to pony up for a pd130/150 intake manifold... again deleting egr, cooler and re-routing coolant... if i do this i may go ahead and do FMIC because this motor wont always be in this chassis (rust) and it will likely be rotated to "belts in front" configuration Cost ~ $300+? and still will need tune and frost heater

>>>suggestions, ideas or pearls of wisdom?

the cost difference equates to about 10hrs of overtime, if i were offered overtime this week i would be choosing option 2...

either method means i likely have to replace the tune i JUST got with one that has the EGR check deleted or just deal with the CEL (id really prefer to have it off)

frost heater can wait until fall/ winter depending on just how long it takes to warm up in cold weather on my 45 min commute

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Most people here tap that little egr hole w/a brass barb,then run a line into a catch can mounted in engine compartment somewhere,or let it hang to ground. I think LugNut posted somewhere where he or someone else ran a line from egr hole to the puck on top of valve cover also-you never know what you get w/ a used one-you could end up w/ same issue;).

ketchupshirt88

Veteran Member
TDI
Thank you! i never thought of putting it into that puck but i was against drilling a hole in the valve cover.

i dont want to run it into a can or on ground because it probably leaks/burns a quart every 1500 miles or so... but right back into that puck seems simple enough and cheap. ill look at my EGR to see that it is only coming out that one hole. this idea will at least stop the oil from sizzling on my manifold like its starting to do now...

ketchupshirt88

Veteran Member
TDI
well its been a week with my egr draining into the puck on top of the valve cover. its definitely not perfect (oil wicking up the fabric covered vac. hose i used) but at least that oil isnt dripping on my manifold. i think i will still be upgrading to a pd intake/egr delete but this bandaid gives me some time until funds allow an upgrade.