Can heater/a/c controls be exchanged?

gr8smile66

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE 6MT, NightBlue/Beige
Hello-
I am getting ready to turn in my 2012 Passat TDI SE 6MT, and have already purchased a 2015 Passat TDI SE DSG.

I really like the climate control in the 2012 compared to the 2015. The 2012 came standard with dual climatronic which my 2015 doesn't have.

Does anyone know if I can swap the climatronic modules between the cars (and have the A/C and heat still work?) Would this need to be done at a VW dealership, if it could be done, and is there going to be a software change, as well?

Thanks in advance if anyone can help with this question!

goodmonkey

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI, 2011 Touareg TDI
Greetings,

Unfortunately it isn't as easy as changing the controls. The entire air box behind the dash would need changing, as there are some different air diverters to allow independent side temperature control, along with servo modules, wiring, and sensors. It is quite a job, took me around 35 hours to swap mine in my 2006 Jetta. That could have been cut in half if I didn't run into problems, but that is another story.

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Besides, the fewer made-in-China HVAC door motors you have buried in the dash waiting to fail, the better.

Because this sucks to have to do to a car that is barely out of warranty:

My 2004 Passat has had its dash out exactly zero times, 205k miles. :eek:

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
I guess it hasn't started blowing foam out the vents yet ;)

Even the cars with semi-automatic climate control will have some door motors. Is the air direction control motor driven? I know the temp control is still electronic.

Regarding swapping to dual zone Climatronic, it's more than just the control head. The whole HVAC box is different.

-J

goodmonkey

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI, 2011 Touareg TDI
To answer Compu_85's question, yes, the air distribution on the Climatic (single zone) units is still electronically controlled. This is done with the air distribution door motor V428, located on the top left of the air distribution unit (as seen from the passenger compartment). In the A5 it was mechanically controlled via cable from the control panel.

So in the NMS Passat, Climatic has 3 control motors, Climatronic has 5.

Last edited:

gr8smile66

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE 6MT, NightBlue/Beige
Thank you all for the input.

I really didn't understand your replies, but I believe the short answer is NO, it can't be done easily, or by my husband (who is highly capable, but this isn't worth it)

Bummer, because I really liked the a/c in the '12 versus the '15....

On a positive note, though, I got to drive the 12 for practically free for the last 6 1/2 years once I turn the car in 12/4 (with only 56k miles) and get the buyback $$. Sad to see it go....:(

Thanks again for the responses!

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
The easy answer to your question is that Yes, it can be swapped.

However, since you car does not have the climatronic box with the additional control motors and temp sensors, it will not work properly. It will not auto adjust the temperature, it will not operate two different temperature zones.