TDIClub Forums

TDIClub Forums (http://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php)
-   General Automotive (http://forums.tdiclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   Tesla's can fly (http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=493892)

jmodge November 5th, 2018 17:42

Tesla's can fly
 
I just saw on the news where a Tesla Roadster that was launched into space earlier this year just passed mars. Open cockpit with a mannequin in a spacesuit.

compu_85 November 7th, 2018 08:13

Yup, here's a quick cut of video taken at the launch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0FZIwabctw

jmodge November 7th, 2018 08:26

I am glad you posted that, I was beginning to think I was hallucinating

johnboy00 November 7th, 2018 09:17

I'm pretty sure Elon Musk hallucinated it, and then made it happen. :D

gulfcoastguy November 7th, 2018 09:44

They used fossil fuels to launch it.

JSWTDI09 November 7th, 2018 11:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmodge (Post 5455405)
I just saw on the news where a Tesla Roadster that was launched into space earlier this year just passed mars. Open cockpit with a mannequin in a spacesuit.

Actually it is slightly inaccurate to say it just passed Mars. It didn't get very close to Mars at all. It would be more accurate to say that it just passed Mars's orbit. It is now farther from the sun that Mars is. This was an expensive advertising stunt but since it is still in the news, I guess it was an effective one.

Have Fun!

Don

piotrsko November 7th, 2018 12:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by gulfcoastguy (Post 5455887)
They used fossil fuels to launch it.

Nope they didn't. Even the 3rd stage fuel is man made

jmodge November 7th, 2018 13:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSWTDI09 (Post 5455915)
Actually it is slightly inaccurate to say it just passed Mars. It didn't get very close to Mars at all. It would be more accurate to say that it just passed Mars's orbit. It is now farther from the sun that Mars is. This was an expensive advertising stunt but since it is still in the news, I guess it was an effective one.

Have Fun!

Don

https://www.mlive.com/news/us-world/..._location.html

Now I suppose your going to tell me there is no restaurant at the end of the universe:confused::eek:

JSWTDI09 November 7th, 2018 14:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmodge (Post 5455937)
Now I suppose your going to tell me there is no restaurant at the end of the universe:confused::eek:

We can always hope.:D

Have Fun!

Don

turbobrick240 November 7th, 2018 16:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSWTDI09 (Post 5455915)
Actually it is slightly inaccurate to say it just passed Mars. It didn't get very close to Mars at all. It would be more accurate to say that it just passed Mars's orbit. It is now farther from the sun that Mars is. This was an expensive advertising stunt but since it is still in the news, I guess it was an effective one.

Have Fun!

Don

I'd call it cheap and effective advertising. It really only cost as much as the used roadsters value and a handful of go pro cameras. A dummy load used instead probably would have cost nearly as much. Judging by the crowds that gathered at Cape Canaveral, a lot of people were quite excited by the launch.

nwdiver November 7th, 2018 17:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by turbobrick240 (Post 5455978)
I'd call it cheap and effective advertising. It really only cost as much as the used roadsters value and a handful of go pro cameras. A dummy load used instead probably would have cost nearly as much. Judging by the crowds that gathered at Cape Canaveral, a lot of people were quite excited by the launch.

The Space X team made a nice little montage clip;

FH & Starman

Quote:

Originally Posted by compu_85 (Post 5455848)
Yup, here's a quick cut of video taken at the launch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0FZIwabctw

Aw... you beat me to it... love that clip!

I think the nearly simultaneous landing was almost more impressive than the launch.

compu_85 November 8th, 2018 09:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by nwdiver (Post 5455993)
I think the nearly simultaneous landing was almost more impressive than the launch.[/URL]

When I saw that, I thought it was an optical illusion or reflection or something. My mind couldn't process 2 massive rockets landing simultaneously.

-J

El Dobro November 13th, 2018 07:58

A great way to save some money.

gulfcoastguy November 13th, 2018 10:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by piotrsko (Post 5455926)
Nope they didn't. Even the 3rd stage fuel is man made

https://www.quora.com/Does-SpaceX-us...Why-or-why-not

oilhammer November 13th, 2018 10:55

Funny thing is, they removed a bunch of stuff from the car, much of what makes it a "Tesla", so... they launched a Lotus into space sans the Toyota powertrain. :p

But it was a fun thing for a mega-gajillionaire and his disciples to get enthused about. So that's cool.

To me the best part of the whole project is the reusable boosters that can land themselves. For getting non-human stuff into space quickly, the FH is the ticket. Russians are working on something even bigger.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 14:19.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright - TDIClub Online LTD - 2017

Page generated in 0.09282 seconds with 8 queries
[Output: 17.98 Kb. compressed to 16.94 Kb. by saving 1.04 Kb. (5.80%)]