ARRRR!! Pirated Plug release tool design, ARRRR!!

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Here goes, my own tool fabbed up.
This is something I saw another member show how to make, whom I don't know. Not taking credit for the initial design.
A plug I have access to to see the lock lever end you're trying to get under.

A piece of metal from a windshield wiper blade over the plug to show size.

The metal piece in lineman's pliers for bending

The tool shape, you need to depict the size based on the availability of room and how far it needs to go to get in the plug to release it. Often the limitation is the length of the hook coming back up and you may have to shorten it to get under the lock latch, I had to make the hook a little more open than pictured to get it behind the lock latch, then just pull the plug with the tool.

See the hook that needs to be shallow enough to go where you need it to fit and still deep enough to get under the locking lever. It also needs to be short enough to get under and in the plug.
Sized appropriately, it should fit and the material is stiff enough to pull up on, or twist a touch to get the plug to release.
If the bent piece that comes back up is long enough, it will be easy to pull up on it and the plug will pop off without having to pull on it directly.
The handle I just made 90 degrees and that's just how I did it.
May want 2 in the tool box, one with a shorter hook for tight spaces another with longer hook for easier releasing by simply pulling the plug out, maybe...
Of course a common hook is often used in the same manner, except in the tighter places where it's not an option then something like this is necessary to prevent breaking plug latch's.

Here is a picture of how the hook should hook the plug from a couple directions.

Last edited:

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
they can be tough but after a few hundred they slip right off ;) ... still occasionally use a pick on the really stubborn ones or the ones previously broken due to brute force or misuse of tools

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
If the terminals/plug design are the same as the '03 needle lift sensor, there is a lock beneath the rubber to slide out first. Then a tube slides over the terminal tabs to depress the lock.
So, in case yours does not work, try a metal tube or pipe if you can find a small one. Thinking maybe like the oil tube to an electric motor oiler.

And if all else fails, look up Lisle wire terminal tool kit #57750. Nothing against homemade tools, have many, ........but just in case.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
Forgot to ask, how did it work anyway?

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
After looking at it again, this is for seperating female/male sections of the plug, not removing terminals from the plug, right? They can be damn stubborn!

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
After looking at it again, this is for seperating female/male sections of the plug, not removing terminals from the plug, right? They can be damn stubborn!
Yes, I made the terminal tools and the link for the youtube howto is in my signature. This I also added to my signature for it to be available everywhere I post.
This tool is designed for pulling plugs other than the style that goes to the starter solenoid with metal clips that you squeeze to release.It works rather well too. Like I said above, it's pirated design wise and I found it in another members thread.