Short trips?

BryanK

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI
Considering purchasing a 2015 Golf TDI and selling my 01. I am in my car all day (for the most part) for work purposes. I am not doing big highway millage. The range is between 5km to 70km at the most, depending on the time of year. All the days in a work week I do at least three (or more) short trips, 3km to 15km's. My commute to and from work is 22km's. I know these engines like to run hot and that the diesel really excels on the long road trips cursing at 140km for 2-3hrs, and I believe that is what the diesel is best suited for. I am re-thinking the feasibility of a TDI and is this the car that is best suited for my uses / purposes. I put a lot of thought into the kind of car that I purchase because I spend so much time in it during work and rely on it. It is not a car that is driven to work, sits in a parking lot then takes me home. As the TDI diesel is more suited to longer, higher millage driving I am thinking of looking at a non-diesel engine, not ruling out other car makers outside of VW as well. I know that there are a number of high millage drivers on this site, that is the reason a lot of them drive TDI's. My concern is with carbon build-up, turbo issues (which I experienced with the 01), and that a gasser may be more suited to my day to day work vehicle needs taking into consideration the frequency of the 3km - 5km -15km short jaunts that i routinely do for work. any feedback is appreciated. Cheers.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
Get a gas engined car. The premium for a diesel engine will take a very long time to break even if you are not driving long distances. If you drive less than 30K km/year, not worth buying a new TDI. Save your money and get the gas engine instead.

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
Depends if you're buying or lease. Have recently run the lease numbers, and the 2 cars, over 3 years and 25k, amount to nearly the same when you factor payment and fuel costs.

As long as the car gets a good run on the highway once per tank to clean out the dpf, you should be fine

BryanK

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI
Depends if you're buying or lease. Have recently run the lease numbers, and the 2 cars, over 3 years and 25k, amount to nearly the same when you factor payment and fuel costs.

As long as the car gets a good run on the highway once per tank to clean out the dpf, you should be fine
I'll buy, plan to own the car a long time. Bought the 01 in 03, drove it for 11years. I am on the 403 at least at least once per week, for maybe 30 - 45 min. Problem is I like the running the diesel. Not sure it is the car for my needs, which is disappointing.

Thanks both for the replies.

Last edited:

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
I'll buy, plan to own the car a long time. Bought the 01 in 03, drove it for 11years. I am on the 403 at least at least once per week, for maybe 30 - 45 min. Problem is I like the running the diesel.. Not not sure it is the car for my needs, which is disappointing.

Thanks both for the replies.
Drive more, worry less. A tdi will be fine. They really don't like piles of short little trips where the regen is interrupted and can never be completed.

BryanK

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI
As I do a lot of short jaunts, I am diligent of spooling the turbo, shifting at 3000rpms to try and keep things from getting "sticky". And when i do get on the 403 run it good to blow the carbon out. If i buy the 2015, i'll run it for 15 years. When I bought the 01 in 03 I also bought a couple of issues from the previous owner (as happens) who was not nearly as particular as I when it came to maintenance. I think that the car was off a 2 year lease when I bought it from the dealer. Car purchase got to be "easier" than a home purchase, and I been through a couple of those.:)

Last edited:

nkgagne

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagen 6M, 2006 Golf GLS TDI (sold)
Yeah I say get the diesel. I've had mine (albeit a PD, different animal) for what some would call a short commute, but it still saves me boatloads of fuel. A good $100 per month, not to mention way fewer trips to the fuel pump. I used to fill the City every 5-7 days. Now I fill the TDI every 12-18 days depending on number of errands/dog transports (we volunteer to taxi rescue dogs, 100-250km round-trip, generally once/month). Don't expect to pull off amazing fuel economy numbers (see my fuelly - I also can be impatient and am perpetually right-on-time for work (no buffer) which is not MPG friendly), but you'll probably still save.

TOPH R

Veteran Member
TDI
Stupid GMC 2500HD non diesel :(
The tdi will NOT like the short trips, plain and simple the dpf will load up very quickly over time.
Interrupt enough regens and you will get the light, then it will get worse.

Get a scangauge and watch to see if you are in a regen, if you are, keep driving her till its done.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I have no issues with the short trips. My commute is 5-7 miles depending on the route I decide on. I'm averaging about 40 mpg lifetime on the JSW and just short of 70k miles without any issues. However, if I had to buy something new today, I'd lean towards a hybrid or electric. Once I get to work, the car sits until lunch time and then home. Can't wait to look at the eGolf.

TOPH R

Veteran Member
TDI
I'd be willing to bet your soot load and turbo would disagree with you.

TDI smile

Veteran Member
Edmonton, Alberta (b4 BC - LOWER MAINLAND = Chilli
TDI
2002 TDI (ALH) with 513,000 km. First Owner and very happy... No Problems, never left us stranded on the Highway. Average useage is about between under 4 ltr. and 5 ltr. Normal longdistance travel: 4.1/100
Both - a Diesel or Gasser will be fine.... don't worry so much.... Keep driving.

TOPH R

Veteran Member
TDI
I just must not have as much money as some of you guys.

For me, clogging a dpf, or melting my turbo is an issue of money I don't think I should have to spend...

must be nice.

TQOOOO

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta TDI DSG & 2008 E320 Bluetec
What makes you think that short trips will clog your dpf or melt your turbo?
If you car goes thru regen cycle regularly there will be no issues with dpf.
OP drives 22km to work - this is enough to run a regen.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I'd be willing to bet your soot load and turbo would disagree with you.
On the dpf thred, I seem to be about equal to everyone else with similar mileage.