Why I Have an All-Diesel Fleet

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
The people who repair cars, small power equipement and motorcycles like it:

The ethanol boosters aren't troubled that only a fraction of the 240 million cars and trucks on the road today can run with ethanol blends higher than 10%. It can damage engines and corrode automotive pipes, as well as impair some safety features, especially in older vehicles. It can also overwhelm pollution control systems like catalytic converters. The malfunctions multiply in other products that use gas, such as boats, snowmobiles, lawnmowers, chainsaws, etc.

kcfoxie

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 6-spd JSW
Ok, what about a diesel scooter.

Blender.

um... portable wax machine...

(I'm shocked you found a diesel chainsaw)

cessna

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
I'm a farmer that is an investor in 2 biodiesel and 3 ethanol plants. I've been using E85 to blend my own 50/50 eth/gasoline fuel and using it in a 1992 Toyota 4x4 for almost 8 years. 30% eth in a 1995 Ford Aspire for 7 years and 10% in a 2 cycle Lawnboy that needs oil added to the fuel for at least 10 years. I must be lucky because the mechanics aren't loving me. Also, did you realize that the subsidies that the government is paying out to ethanol is about 1/3 the amount that farmers used to get for subsidies because of cheap commodity prices. Most of the present Farm Bill goes to Food Stamps and such now.You folks that hate ethanol are just falling for the propaganda the Grocery Manufacturers are feeding you. They're just a bunch of crooks that are mad because they can't steal corn and other commodities anymore. Even at $7 per bushel(56 lbs. per bushel) corn that was attained because of investment fund buying a bag of corn chips has just pennies worth of corn in the bag---figure it out yourself. Corn is less than $4 now but do you see prices coming down in the grocery store? This is the problem with less than 2% of the population being farmers-- you city people haven't a clue about farm issues.

kcfoxie

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 6-spd JSW
bloc said:
My issue is with Ethanol being sold as something it isnt.. "green".
define green. carbon responsible, renewable, sustainable or some mixture of those 4 buzzwords?

velociT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI *sold*
First of all, Wesley Clark is a dishonest super douche. Google his military past.

Second, I found it funny when ethanol first got popular, and then people started whining that corn prices were going up....

What did ya think was gonna happen with a huge increase in demand?

I'm still on the fence about E85. Only upside I see is its wonderful octane rating.

kcfoxie

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 6-spd JSW
wonderful octane rating that no one has made a nice crotchrocket or turbo charged SRT4 to utilize .......

velociT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI *sold*
kcfoxie said:
wonderful octane rating that no one has made a nice crotchrocket or turbo charged SRT4 to utilize .......
The STi/Evo/Supra guys blend it in as cheap race gas :D

sassyrel

Veteran Member
TDI
passat,96,black-metalic
cessna said:
I'm a farmer that is an investor in 2 biodiesel and 3 ethanol plants. I've been using E85 to blend my own 50/50 eth/gasoline fuel and using it in a 1992 Toyota 4x4 for almost 8 years. 30% eth in a 1995 Ford Aspire for 7 years and 10% in a 2 cycle Lawnboy that needs oil added to the fuel for at least 10 years. I must be lucky because the mechanics aren't loving me. Also, did you realize that the subsidies that the government is paying out to ethanol is about 1/3 the amount that farmers used to get for subsidies because of cheap commodity prices. Most of the present Farm Bill goes to Food Stamps and such now.You folks that hate ethanol are just falling for the propaganda the Grocery Manufacturers are feeding you. They're just a bunch of crooks that are mad because they can't steal corn and other commodities anymore. Even at $7 per bushel(56 lbs. per bushel) corn that was attained because of investment fund buying a bag of corn chips has just pennies worth of corn in the bag---figure it out yourself. Corn is less than $4 now but do you see prices coming down in the grocery store? This is the problem with less than 2% of the population being farmers-- you city people haven't a clue about farm issues.
you actually need to say more about it on this forum--cause as you said--very few people understand the truth about it--like potus:D :D

sassyrel

Veteran Member
TDI
passat,96,black-metalic
kcfoxie said:

Blender.

the armed services has one now--and has had for about three years--believe its kawasaki???

tdisky

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL (hers)
kcfoxie said:

Blender.

HDT (Hayes Diversified Technologies)
www.dieselmotorcycles.com

They've been saying for four years now that the civilian version is being delayed due to all their military orders. Another poster is correct; the frame is from the Kawi KLR.

Cool, huh?

shegel

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 jetta 2015 Passat

amafrank

TDI
'06 TDi jetta, '09 TDi jetta wagon, 15 TDi GSw
In truth ethanol is a wonderful thing. With a slightly different structure than methanol it has more energy content per unit volume meaning better mileage than meth. We ran indycars on methanol for the 15 years I worked on them and that stuff is pretty bad to deal with. The engines had to be pickled with gasoline if they weren't going to be run within a day or so just to keep them from corroding to the point of uselessness. The exhaust fumes from meth are pretty hard to deal with due mainly to a large formaldahyde content. Its pretty hard on the eyes when the race starts at the indy 500 as well as everytime the field does a mass pitstop. On the other hand the test engines we saw for a different racing class used straight ethanol and got substantially better than our 2mpg with the same horsepower output of around 850. The engines could be left without pickling because the parts were made from ethanol resistant materials which would have self destructed in meth. The exhaust is almost breathable since its primarily watervapor with no formaldahyde. Ethanol is really much better but I can't see where its worth the extra cost and effort to produce from corn and other food products. If they could use the stalks and other unused material it would make more sense, kind of like using waste veg oil to make biodiesel rather than soybeans. I know the ethanol and soy biodiesel procedures don't remove food products from the shelves since the waste products are still good feed material. Most if not all the corn used in ethanol production is intended for feed anyway....
It just seems that the fuel used and time spent makes the program a bit lopsided on the cost/reward scale....
just my opinions

Frank

Last edited:

MrMopar

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none
There is a retired guy here in my city that runs a Shell station. He pretty much does it as a hobby to keep busy, and he only has two pumps and sells a few odds and ends inside, but it is by no means a major fuel stop. He's the only person I can find in town who advertises that his gasoline comes with no ethanol in it, and I specifically buy all my fuel from him for that purpose. I don't like paying the same amount of money for less energy content (lower fuel economy) so I fill up with pure gasoline at Quinn's Shell.

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
So the food stores must not be the only crooks. My family is into beef and dairy and funny how other farmers are suffering due to the higher cost to feed. That means that also gets passed to the city people that are mentioned. So either way the cost is passed on from something that should be made for food. I am for ethanol don't get me wrong. Just not when it is coming from my food, using water that is hard to come by (I went to school in South Dakato, my senior project in college was on ethanol in mechanical engineering). South Dakota has water issues with who gets it and Ethanol takes alot of water to produce. Not including the cost to transport the fuel, get the grain there, and the electricity to make it. If you used somethine like the corn stocks and other waste farming material and prairie grasses then it wouldn't be as bad. Or have something with higher energy content like sugar as you produce much more fuel as ethanol is almost break even with corn depending on the article you read. You can design any engine to run on anything that can combust. And the world will never run out of oil, in the end everything will be determined by economics (if oil is $1K a barrel you will use something else).

Mach1

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
05.5 Jetta 5 spd, 06 Jetta DE DSG, 04 F250 6L, 2000 F250 7.3L
V, you probably know this Mark is running just E85 and has his Supra tuned for it..running some rediculous Boost pressures with it..Making some serious power!!!

If you can take advantage of the compression/boost ratio..E85 is for you..

velociT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI *sold*
Mach1 said:
V, you probably know this Mark is running just E85 and has his Supra tuned for it..running some rediculous Boost pressures with it..Making some serious power!!!

If you can take advantage of the compression/boost ratio..E85 is for you..
Ryan is also running straight E85 in his big single supra. :D

Apparently, you have to overfuel the crap out of it at cold start or it won't idle.

TurbinePower

Veteran Member
TDI
None
velociT said:
Ryan is also running straight E85 in his big single supra. :D

Apparently, you have to overfuel the crap out of it at cold start or it won't idle.
From what I understand, that means static compression is too low, you're not getting good vaporisation with the engine cold so you need to dump more E85 in to richen the more volatile gasoline component in the mixture.

I'm slowly building a 1.7L high compression turbo 8v for the coupe, with the intention of running E85, premium if I have to. Might also see about cutting some glycerin into the mix, to use it up from biodiesel production.

CIS = rock solid, sturdy fuel injection. :D