here is a question for you new beetle guys

k0wtz

TDI
As you know the New Beetle when you open the trunk there is some sort of el. selinoid.

At 200k I am almost sure it is going to bail out anytime. If that thing wont open what do you do then? We were out in Col. one time and a lady came up and told us her 800.00 fix story!

I am sure just turning the key at the trunk will not open it in this event.

anyone looking to the future! LOL

bob

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Just make sure the key hole is lubes up and turns....if it does than the hatch will unlock....
My golf is the same setup and I’ve had to disconnect it electrical connector as I have issues there...... but the key function works well. I’ve got 4 of them.

I know on the later MK IV Series NB’s they did away with the external hatch key..... then you have to manually crawl in the back and drill a hole in the cover from the inside and manually unlock it.....I had seen a YouTube video of it.

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
403,000 on my Jetta and the electric actuator is still going.

I don't think the Jettas have any mechanical actuator, when I use the key in mine it just triggers the solenoid. Beetle may be different.

does the Beetle have the "help! I'm locked in my trunk" lever?

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
For 2011 to 2018 the short version of the video is this. On the inside of the rear hatch there is a slot near the latch mechanism. Put your key blade in the right side as you are facing it and slide the key to the left. You will hear it unlatch. Push up and it will open. This is done from inside the car obviously. No locked in the trunk lever.