Enclosed trailer recommendations

GetMore

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat TDI, 2010 Jetta Sportwagen
Not TDI or car related, but I am sure some of you have experience, so:
We are looking into getting an enclosed cargo trailer, probably 8 or 8.5 by 20, with a rear ramp door and 10,000 lb capacity. Not certain we need the 10K, but since I don't really know the weight of the cargo and I think there is a chance 7K might not be enough (especially if it is one of the heavier trailers) I'm looking at 10K to be safe.

One trailer dealer expressed the trailer manufacturing business as a "race to the bottom", with everyone trying to have the lowest price. Obviously the cheaper the trailer the more corners cut and less, lower quality, thinner, or cheaper materials being used.
I have often seen "you get what you pay for", but I don't know how accurate that really is. Some manufacturers may be charging more for their brand name, or a dealer may be charging more just because. The phrase I've seen that better reflects reality is "You always pay for what you get, sometimes you get what you pay for."

Anyway, I could use some advice on what features are important to look for, which manufacturers or dealers are good, and which are bad. Any other advice is also appreciated.

I am in NY, but will drive anywhere on the eastern half of the country for the trailer, if it is worth it.

Thanks!

itsmejerry

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI Nav, 2015 Passat SE TDI, 2015 Beetle Convertible TDI, 2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI All Phase 2 Emission Modified complete. 50 State Legal Diesel!
1st: Wells Cargo.
They have a trailer for every application so you wont have to wonder if you're over-taxing a lighter trailer, or if you've bought too much trailer for what you need.
And I've found that by being a national brand, parts and service are fairly easy to get.

2nd: Haulmark
Many of the same reasons, but their selection is not quite as broad.

GetMore

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat TDI, 2010 Jetta Sportwagen
Thanks!
If only I really knew what it was going to be used for, so I could get the perfect one! lol

One of the things I worry about with those two is that they are now owned by the same company, and it is just a bunch of investors, so profits are the bottom line now, not quality. Also, without the competition they stagnate.
They might still sell decent trailers, but they are not as good as they used to be.

rparnel1

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold -- '05 Passat. 2014 BMW 328D
I've got a 20 foot v-nose cargo trailer. Not sure if it is 8 or 8.5 wide. Get as wide as you can. Bought it used cause it was such a good deal versus a new one. Thousands of dollars cheaper.

During my searches, I looked at a lot of different trailers and their construction. They all seem to have the same kind of frame structure and build. The difference was in the interior materials and the axles.

1. Cheaper trailers (like mine) use leaf spring axles, while better ones use torsion bar axles.

2. They all have trailer brakes when they are this large. Most use electric brakes, but some of the more expensive one use hydraulic surge brakes.

3. The cheaper ones use paneling for the inside walls and may only have one roof vent. The better ones use plywood for the walls and have 2 vents. Of course, the plywood adds weight. My cheap trailer with paneling is lighter by a few hundred pounds. Would rather have plywood though.

4. Options that you will see are interior AC outlets and AC interior lights. outside lights, awnings, wider side doors (get this option to make side loading something like an ATV much easier), v-nose (I like this option) and "snowmobile" doors (this is really nice) if you get a v-nose. Options can really drive up the price! You can also get extra height.

5. It should have a dovetail in the rear to minimize approach angles and a ramp door; not swing doors. If it is a car hauler, it will have a dovetail.

6. Trailer is gonna be heavy and you will need a weight distributing hitch to minimize tongue weight, unless you got a beefy 3/4 or one ton tow vehicle. Some of the newer 1/2 ton vehicles have adjustable suspension than will compensate so that a weight distributing hitch is not needed.

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GLS TDI, 04 RTDI
If you're in the New York area, then I would have to recommend Blizzard Trailers. I liked them so much that I purchased one from them and I'm all the way over in Wisconsin. IMO the quality of the trailers is top notch and they will build the trailer exactly the way you want it. I saw under upgrades in the enclosed car hauler section, that you can upgrade to 5200 lb axles. That would give you your 10,000 lb capacity you're looking for.
This is the trailer I would suggest for you. http://www.blizzardmfg.com/index.php/trailers/car-hauler/enclosed-car-hauler

Something to consider is that if you let them use your at one of their expos, they will give you a slight discount on the trailer. It's halfway down the home page under...BLIZZARD ANNOUNCES 2017 SHOW DATES
http://www.blizzardmfg.com/?Name=Value

I purchased one of their small V-nose snowmobile trailers to tow behind the Jetta. The 569 model. http://www.blizzardmfg.com/index.php/trailers/snowmobile/v-nose-box

Namakan

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 2011 JSW (gone), 2004 Jetta (gone)
I have an aluminum Haulmark 24' which is designed for snowmobiles and it's been a good trailer. If money was no exception I would consider something from Featherlite or another good aluminum manufacturer especially if you plan to keep it long term.
A steel trailer will begin to rust the second you leave the lot.

http://www.fthr.com/

tactdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
Have any friends in the Porsche, BMW, or other specialty mark clubs?

See if any of them know of someone selling their used car trailer. Some people get the itch to track/race their car, buy a nice new trailer, attend a few events over a few years, then move on to another hobby. In past years, I have seen practically new trailers being sold, and any used trailer, even in 99% new condition will not sell for more than 1/2 of the new price.