What shape g68 sensor do I get?

charlieruu

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI Automatic, 239,000 miles
I have an 02 alh auto with an 01m transmission. My car threw a P0722 and I started to look into a new speed sensor. On ID Parts they have a D shaped sensor and a square shaped sensor. I'm having trouble finding out what sensor I should be getting. If anyone could help me figure out which one I need that would be awesome. Thanks!

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 2005 BEW Beetle, 2005 Jetta Wagon
It is probably referring to the shape of the harness connector. Call them up and ask. Maybe it changed shape after a certain model year. That may not be totally reliable since many of these transmissions have been swapped out, rebuilt, or otherwise and the harness connector could have been changed to match the sensor on the trans.

Follow the sensor's wire back to the harness.
"D" shape has one rounded end.
Both are pictured on IDparts website.

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
Yeah, there was a split around 2002 between a square and a D connector for those.

Best bet is to call and have them help you figure out which one you need.

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 2005 BEW Beetle, 2005 Jetta Wagon
BTW... that sensor is under the bracket where the transmission mounts to the chassis mount. It is not terribly visible unless you move the bracket and you would need to support the transmission to do that. But, there would be only one wire (cable) coming from under there so following it to the place where it terminates next to the gear shift cable should not be too hard.
Again, look at the IDparts picture to see what you are looking for.

CoolAirVw

Vendor
TDI
Jetta
Only real early cars like 99 and earlier had the "square" connector. (and eurovans)

see the link here

http://kansascitytdi.com/shopping/

But if my memory serves me correctly your checking into the wrong sensor. P0722 refers to the output speed sensor or G68. The "square" vs "D: shaped connector only applies to the G38 "sun gear shell speed sensor" (commonly called "input speed sensor"), which would trigger P0715. You need to look into the G68 sensor. See link posted above.

Also for sensor position see the link below in the section titled 01m sensor locations

http://kansascitytdi.com/o1m-faq/

Last edited: