some nozzles give better miles per gallon

tdi_volks

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2012 Jetta Tdi 6 spd
I met a guy who has a Beetle TDI and says he gets 55 miles per gallon because he put the right size nozzles in. I have the .230 nozzles I think, they work for giving a lot more power with a chip, but have cut my fuel mileage down since now I use a lead foot way more often. I think I still get around 40 miles per gallon, but which nozzles give 55 miles per gallon? does anyone have those or get that good of fuel mileage?

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
tdi_volks said:
which nozzles give 55 miles per gallon? does anyone have those or get that good of fuel mileage?
Nozzles play such a small part in FE it is hard to answer your first question. Sprint 520s come to mind as a good nozzle replacement but really when you get high miles on your stock nozzles, you're likely to see an improvement with any nozzle.

Yes. Check out the mileage competition, several people are doing much better than that.

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
I think the key is the foot, not the nozzle.. although the nozzles do play a small part in the problem.

Get a scan-gauge II and you will know instead of think you get 40 mpg.

The driver is the single most important factor in the mpg equation.

Bill

SmokinTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS
Do you think I have a chance of seeing a MPG improvement with the PP764's I just installed? Well, if I can control my right foot..:p

doc_m

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
40X40 said:
Get a scan-gauge II and you will know instead of think you get 40 mpg.

The driver is the single most important factor in the mpg equation.

Bill
agreed especially if you have the MPG as a display and watch it as you drive.... :D

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
SmokinTDI said:
Do you think I have a chance of seeing a MPG improvement with the PP764's I just installed? Well, if I can control my right foot..:p
In my experience: and I think many will concur with me on this--a nozzle and chip combo tends to make city economy worse but highway economy better.

I went from almost exactly 42/49 to 39/54

On average, it is not much changed, but when I do freeway miles like today (I drove the limit all day today), I love to get 59.3 mpg! It's a great feeling.

I have the Bosio PP502 nozzles and Aligator chip tuning.

doc_m

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
ymz said:
The only chip that could help your fuel economy would be a potato chip placed between your shoe and the accelerator pedal...

Yuri.
Ah bbut is it rippled or plain? :D

I think overall though that the chip nozzle combo has helped fuel economy as I have not noticed a difference in fuel economy even though I have more of a lead foot than I did before cause it's just more fun to drive now :)

greenskeeper

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
nozzles (and a chip for that matter) will help economy if you can manage to drive in the same manner you did before the nozzle (or chip) change.

The reason a larger nozzle has the potential to increase economy is that it is able to inject the fuel quicker (shorter injection window) into the cylinder giving it a more complete/efficent chance to burn.

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
I agree with others here: it's not so much the nozzles as the driver.

My average over ~60K miles is 54 MPG. This is all driving, every mile, every drop of fuel, winter time, trailer pulling, etc. I've got a lot of modifications, most aimed toward fuel economy, but none are 'the one' that made everything better. Check out the cars in the top 5-10 of the monthly mileage competition. Particularly the ones who are consistently in the top 5-10 month after month. Most are not modified or only very slightly so. GDR703, Brock From WI, NoOneOfConsequence, daBooj, all have average mpg's over 55 MPG's.

Make sure your car is well maintained (injection timing set correctly, intake clean, no CEL's, etc) and see if you can go for a ride with this other guy who claims to get 55 MPG and see how they drive it.

Good luck

2slowtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 ALH Bora gone. 2006 Benz CDI 235hp 420ftlbstq
tdi_volks said:
I met a guy who has a Beetle TDI and says he gets 55 miles per gallon because he put the right size nozzles in. I have the .230 nozzles I think, they work for giving a lot more power with a chip, but have cut my fuel mileage down since now I use a lead foot way more often. I think I still get around 40 miles per gallon, but which nozzles give 55 miles per gallon? does anyone have those or get that good of fuel mileage?

When I put larger tires on my TDI I losted 2mpg, when I put in PP520
I regained the 2mpg.
That is if I keep my foot out of it.

Gothmolly

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
tdi_volks said:
I met a guy who has a Beetle TDI and says he gets 55 miles per gallon because he put the right size nozzles in....
He's lying. Everyone has mileage stories, like the fish that got away, the time they met a movie star, the killing they made in the stock market, etc. etc. etc.

dwaldmann

TDI
none
Fix_Until_Broke said:
Check out the cars in the top 5-10 of the monthly mileage competition.
I've looked for the results and can't find them. Can you help me?

thanks

-d

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
It must be close to All Saint's Day when the dead rise! This post did the same!

Turbospool

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 White TDI Jetta, 280k, 2003 jetta 270k
Fix_Until_Broke said:
He may not be lying - it's very possible. The mileage is not likely due to what he thinks it is though (nozzles).
Fix-until-Broke hits your probe right on the nail! I've been running the famed mpg sprint 520's for a while now...... I believe I experienced a small increase, yet the " right foot mod " so called on this forum guided by scanguage 11 does more than anything if its mpg you're after, not nozzels! Nozzels give a tremendous "umpf" increase and you actually have to train yourself to stay out of it, (with the exception of getting through the gears up to 5th). A good tune enhances a nozzel upgrade , yet the same applies here as well.
A stock car will get you close to the best mpg., Nozzels + Tune = a blast to drive!:D Yet somehow with my mods I still see improved mpg from stock, that simply means guide that right foot and you get the best of both worlds;)
my 2 cents