DTC 01268 - Quantity Adjuster (N146)?

dosma

TDI
'97 Passat TDI
I have a 97 Passat. At around 6000 ft elevation, 50 deg F and a cold engine it took three starter engagements to start. It then ran well. However the check engine light remained on and the glow plug light blinked continuously. After driving and restarting several times, the console fault lights extinguished. After driving home I hooked up vag-com and found the following engine dtc:

1 DTC Found
01268 - Quantity Adjuster (n146)
35-00--

Can somebody tell me what this DTC is about?

Toronto_Vento

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Baltic Green Bora
Are you running biodiesel? Do you have a tuning box? This is a common problem with either of these two senarios. More likely the tuning box than anything else. I recently had this, but it was due to biodiesel use. Have you recently changed fuels? Did this happen soon after you filled up somewhere? Get through the tank and fill up somewhere else.

If you take a look in the biodiesel section in this forum, there is a post called 'check engine light on and glowplug flashing' or something like that. We are trying to get to the bottom of this issue with the bio-d here, but at the same time, if you read the last page or two, we seem to be getting an idea of what causes the code in general.

dosma

TDI
'97 Passat TDI
Yes I do burn biodiesel probably half the time. My local sourse of B100 sometimes doesn't have fuel when I need it so I fill up on D#2.

I read the first and last threads on the biodiesel forum concerning biodiesel and Quantity Adjuster dtc's. Interesting. I'll probably jump into that discussion when I have more information. I got my Bently manual back up on my computer and read today the trouble shooting process for this DTC. It will be a learning experience for me since this is the first major dtc that's come up since I purchased Ross-Tek. At present I'm not certain how to translate the Bently jargon into Ross-Tek jargon in the steps layed out in Bently. Can anyone point me to a source of info other than Ross-Tek? I'll check them out as well but before, say a year ago, their instructions where pretty sketchy.

Oh, the question was asked if I have checked the timing? Not recently but a few months ago I set timing to mid point. I'll check it though.

In the meantime I've been driving daily and haven't seen any new dtc's and the Passat is running great. Thanks for the replies.

MTjake

Veteran Member
TDI
I need help-reviving this thread to hopefully shed light on the fault code 1268-quantity adjuster now showing up on my Passat. The vehicle (1996 B4V) was operating on it's first (and possibly last) tank ever of B100 returning to Montana from Colorado. I pressed the A/C button and the car shut down and has not restarted. The Casper, WY Volkswagen dealer first told me that I needed a new ECU. Fortunately, the previous owner of my Passat just happened to have a spare ECU sitting in his basement which he overnighted to Casper VW. Now they say that with the replacement ECU, they were able to get the fault code, and now they tell me that I need a new injection pump as the quantity adjuster is not available separately. Is this true? I am also having a tough time reconciling the fact that this dealer has identified the two most expensive parts for replacement, and that somehow they are both responsible for my vehicle's inoperable condition, apparently both occurring at precisely the same time and coincident with pressing the A/C button.

At this point I am on the verge of having the vehicle trucked to my local dealer for whom I have a modicum of respect.

I'm off to read the previously mentioned threads in the Biodiesel forum.

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
Sounds electrical to me - check the relay 109? Fuses? If the bio-d was that bad, you'd probably have a clogged filter, and the it would have to be a BIG coincidence to have it quit when you pushed in the "air" button. I believe that a clogged fuel filter can also give quantity adjuster errors, but that's not as expensive as a new IP, and the dealer has overhead to meet....

What happens when you turn the key? Do the instrument lights come on? Does the starter turn? This does not sound like a fun drive.

If you have no way of digging into it yourself where you are, you may be $ ahead getting it trucked home, and either getting it to your respected dealer, or spending some time going over the beast yourself.

Good luck!

MTjake

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks much for your advice and sympathies. The first thing I did was swap in another 109 (I travel with 3 of 'em). Next was to check the fuses for the A/C, the injection pump, and just about every other fuse that I thought could possibly be related. No blown fuses. Vehicle still refused to start. It turns over like a champ, but acts as though the shutoff valve is just staying closed. Engine shutdown was immediate, with no sputtering, so I didn't think it was a clogged fuel filter. Would a clogged filter causing the quantity adjuster to throw a code prevent the vehicle from running completely? How does the ECU fit into this scenario? My gut tells me that my old one is just fine. I have it here on the dining room table. Which chip is the Upsolute?

100 degree day, 26 miles out of Casper. Wife needing to get back to work. Dog overheating. Troopers making sure we were ok. Found some high quality tacos in downtown Casper. Finally had to rent a car to get home.

At first I was relieved to find the VW dealer in Casper. Now I'm just extremely suspicious about their diagnostic procedure.

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I doubt the fuel filter would cause an immediate shutdown - more like lack of power under load, then, eventually, no power anywhere. Not likely the cause, but it could cause a code to be thrown.

I'd get the car home, and see if some of the things are working.

Like - is the fuel going through the IP? crack an injector hose and see if fuel spirts everywhere.

Was the B100 from a dealer you believe to be reputable? Even bad B100 generally doesn't cause an immediate shutdown.

Have you checked your shutoff valve? Other than a broked tb, (and there you'd probably notice other minor noises like crunching valves and such) or a sudden cut of power to the IP, I'm not sure what else would cause this type of shutdown.

The ECU basically causes everything to go - adjusts the timing, keeps the turbo under control, basically makes sure all is working in the engine. You switched yours, and it's unlikely that both are bad, and they are pretty reliable.

Have you checked your fuel? Try to drain some from the filter. Do you see it in the clear line?

Let's assume that the ac switch has nothing to do with it - sometimes we get sidetracked by coincidences.

For the car to continue running (since it was at the initial problem) you need:
(1) compression - assume it didn't change from the second it was running to the second it wasn't
(2) fuel injected at the right time......
(3) air - and if you ran out of this, you probably would have had some smoke coming out the back during the last short time the car was running.

Kinda puts us at (2).

I've never heard of an IP cutting out entirely like this unless there was an electrical problem - wire falling off, or some such.

The cheapest thing would be for your cutoff valve to suddenly close (cut power - bad ground?) and staying closed for some reason.

I'd tow it home to start eliminating possibilities, or having it towed to your closest mechanic you have confidence in (or some confidence in) and closely diagnose with him/her.

The worst case would be you'll spend the same money, but close to home (buy local, so to speak).

You have 3 109's? Wow, I've been chastised for having a new one in the car, and another new one in the trunk. I assume you're confident that the one you put in was good as well.

The Upsolute chip (at least in my 97b4) is actually two chips. Both are socketed, and can be taken out with a very fine screwdriver, or, as has been strongly recommended by others on this site, a chip puller. They're about 1/2 inch square each.

That sounds so much like a relay 109 ussue - I'd try a third one (since you have them) before I went further. You can test the relay with 12 volts - if you like I'll research this for you and get back tonight (assuming I'm not sidetracked again).

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
Use a Mity-Vac and try to pull fuel from the tank. No fuel? Possibly a bad batch of BioD (or the gunk it dislodged from the tank) clogged the fuel pickup or fuel line. Remove and clean it, or do what some have done. Shoot some compressed air down the hose to clear the clog.

Easy to pull fuel? Next, try to pull fuel through the filter. If unable, replace the filter.

Fuel pulls easily through the filter? It starts getting expensive after that. Possibly an IP. But try cranking and see if the fuel squirts out of a disconnected injector line.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Keep in mind that if the ECU really thinks there's big trouble with N146, and the ECU thinks it has lost control of the quantity adjuster, it will shut the engine down using the shut-off valve as a safety measure.

I cannot prove it, but I have a nagging suspicion that if you put in fuel that conducts electricity (i.e. biodiesel with too much water content along with left-over "soap" from the lye used in the process), it's going to cause a lot of trouble like this.

MTjake

Veteran Member
TDI
I did drain the fuel filter-I guess that was the third thing I looked at on the side of the road-it looked like only a tiny bit of water and then it looked like biodiesel dribbling out. We fueled at the Fort Collins B100 pump. I thought they always used Blue Sun, but only after fueling did the guy tell me that he didn't know the source of the B100, but that they had been using a variety of BD producers as the prices changed. So we don't know the quality of the BD. Doh.

At this point, and as far as I can tell, GoFaster seems to be describing a likely scenario-that the ECU is instructing the fuel shutoff to stay closed because of the quantity adjuster feedback. Should I ask the mech to add as much petro diesel as possible, clear the DTC, and see if the thing will start? This still doesn't concur with the "bad ECU" diagnosis from the VW dealer (he said "we have power going in, but nothing coming out"), nor the coincident A/C usage. The previous owner suggested checking all the grounding. Shouldn't there be a fault code in evidence for a bad ground? Shouldn't a bad fuel shutoff/bad ground for the shutoff throw a DTC? I've had trouble "bad ground/short to negative-intermittent" or something to that effect with the shutoff valve before, and originally assumed this was once again the problem, but there is no DTC for it at this time.

Ok, I've identified the Upsolute chips. I just hope they are still ok. This is the GQ ECU. My wife has the same Passat but with a BK ECU. Can one ECU swap into the other car for diagnostic sake? Are the Upsolute chips transferrable between the two ECU's?

I need to get the car shipped up here so I can try all your suggestions. I'll post back with any progress. Thanks all very much.

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A bad ground may or may not give a code, but, since you're going to have some quality time with your vehicle, I suggest cleaning all of them anyway - can't hurt and may fix some minor gremlins.

If you had bio "dribbling out" of the fuel filter after some water, perhaps GoFaster hit it. Also - was the "dribbling" about the same thickness as regular D2? If it was thicker, that could be the problem. I don't notice the B100 I use to be any significantly thicker than D2.

Please do keep us informed. How far is your car? If I had to leave mine, I know I could find a trailer and truck from UHaul to be able to haul it back myself (within a reasonable distance) for much less than a tow truck.

MTjake

Veteran Member
TDI
Now that you mention it, the BD did seem more viscous than D2, and this at 100 degrees F. Hmm. But I'm still having trouble fitting the ECU into that, unless that was a bad diagnosis from the dealer. I need to check this ECU.

Yeah, Uhaul is the other option, and the one I should have gone with before renting a car to get home. It's nearly a 6 hour drive to Casper, one way. In a fully functional TDI, that is. About 430 miles.

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'm having trouble with the ECU as well - but more guesses at this time probably won't help until you can get the beast back home and start seriously looking. I suspect that when you drain and refill, it'll be OK again.

I try to use B100 whenever possible - but don't fill with it on a trip. I trust my local supplier, but don't have time to deal with issues with others. My only time filling from out of the area ended with a clogged fuel filter - possibly not caused by the fueling, but strange coincidence. I hate d2, but use it away from home from "high volume" dealers.

So, hauling it yourself (full day driving) or having it towed ($400?? more or less). Tough call.

MTjake

Veteran Member
TDI
The auto transport places don't do "inops", so it's looking like Uhaul.

I like your fueling strategy, and plan to implement similar strategy from now on. I was thinking that a long B100 fueled road trip would clean up my intake, and maybe it did, but...

Audi5000td

Banned
TDI
2005 passat Wagon Northern Green
I'm betting that running the AC adjusted your IQ through the floor, below a 2.4 reading and shut your down. Id get ahold of a VAG-COM, see the codes thrown, write them down, then clear the codes.

See everything here on Injector Quantity adjustment, Setting it, and The Hammer Modification to adjust it.

I'd also check your wiring harness for the Injector pump and see about The Evry Modification or The Evry Mod in "Search" with a 24 month window to search, to see if you have a tuning box or someone wiring in a resistor somewhere near the plug in harness where the Injector pump plugs in. The resistance may not be enough, or your tuning box, if you have one, has failed.

If you see a resistor soldered in there, or additional wires that do not look factory that are connected to the number 2 and 3 wires, cut one of the unfactory looking wires that is outside the loom and see if the blinking glowplug light goes away.

If you start to run biodiesel 100, you should ALWAYS have a spare fuel filter in your vehicle as well a a spare 1 quart bottle of d2. The biodiesel dislodges loads of crap in your fuel tank and fuel lines, on into your fuel filter, especially any algae that grew from water in your fuel tank.

MTjake

Veteran Member
TDI
So far, the only code reported from far off Casper is 01268, which returns upon clearing. Last report was three days ago and they didn't return my call yesterday-said they were real busy. I guess this means they don't know anything and haven't been able to make any progress. Or maybe it just means that they are billing me a bunch of hours without doing any work.

I don't have a tuning box. Fuel system is not clogged. Last I talked to them we had decided to purge the biodiesel out from the filter and through the injection pump, clear the code, hook up an external tank of D2 to the filter, and hope for a start. Can you describe how the A/C initiation caused my injection quantity to drop through the floor? It seems that the ECU should be programmed to increase IQ with A/C use. How does this result in an unrestartable condition? I'm just looking for any possible leads. We are not getting anywhere in Casper.

MTjake

Veteran Member
TDI
Negative progress. I now have information from two separate sources that this is not the place to have your favorite vehicle worked on. Some evidence: the $570 diagnosis that my ECU and my quantity adjuster failed simultaneously. I suppose that's possible, but... I hear the mechanic is actually good, but the 'service' desk will work you over, especially if you're an out-of-towner. It was suggested to me to get the vehicle out of there without letting them know in advance, so that's how bad it is at the moment. It is so much like a 109 failure, but it can't be, can it? Gotta get back down there-I can't believe I left her there all alone. Sorry, this has turned into an indictment of a service department, instead of being helpful, but I feel people should know to steer clear of this place, in my opinion. Hopefully the next update will have real information.

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It can be a relay 109 - are you sure the one you put is was good? With three, I would have checked them all.

Please get your car so we (as a group) can have a go at it.

Do you have a Vag-Com handy?

MTjake

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes, I wish I had checked all three (all three were/are good to the best of my knowledge-none has ever gone bad previously) and had VAG-com on board-I don't have VAG-should have acquired long ago. My neighbor is the long time service manager at our local dealer, I absolutely trust him. He's good to us and will perform scans with their OBD. Hope to have 'er home by this weekend. Thanks for keeping an eye on this.

MTjake

Veteran Member
TDI
I just plugged the ECU from my Passat into my wife's car. Mine is the GQ ECU with the Upsolute chips-the one the Casper dealer told me had experienced "catastrophic failure". I took this with me when we left Casper. Her car starts and runs perfectly with my ECU, but with a blinking glow plug light. Wife's car has the BK ECU, it's from later in the model year.

MTjake

Veteran Member
TDI
This is getting wild. Now he just told me that biodiesel has no lubricity, will ruin my injectors and the pump in "no time flat", and could "drop my engine out". Wow!

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I have a 97 b4 and have been running as close to B100 as I can (varies, due to needing fuel elsewhere) but generally over B50 and sometimes B99+ - 8000 miles and no problems. Just nicer smell, and quieter engine. Many on the forum have many 10's of thousands of miles on bio - but a tank of bad bio can cause problems.

With the Upsolute - perhaps different ECU causing the blinking bp light. Did you check to make sure the brake lights are working? Blinking gp light often reflects brake light/switch problems.

I know that the chips can be rather specific as to the ecu - but it doesn't sound like yours were damanged - nor the problem.

MTjake

Veteran Member
TDI
Forgot to mention; the blinking gp light stopped when I returned the BK unit to her car.

I'm no longer blaming the B100 until I get some more info.

MTjake

Veteran Member
TDI
Update: Finally made it back to Casper, Wyoming. Surprised 'em to say the least. The VW dealer at Powders Automobiles physically blocked me from accessing my vehicle with his body when I tried to open the door and hood to take pictures. It was either going to be a physical altercation or call the police, so I call the police. Dealer keeps saying "I hope you brought cash!" I say, "You think I'd give you my credit card number?" They tell him he has to release the vehicle to me. I told the police and the dealer that I was willing to pay for some items, but not the blatant fraudulent diagnosis. In the end, payed nothing and had the car towed to Farley's Imports where we'll get an actual diagnostic and repair. Dealer follows to see where the car went. The Passat is a mess with open fuel lines and the timing belt cover removed for some reason, ECU not attached. Well, of course the vehicle isn't going to start without the ECU attached. Reaffirmed that this VW dealer will remove items from a vehicle; i.e. sabotage the vehicle, which left me wondering about the removed timing belt cover. This was never discussed. Also got a fourth independent source confirming the questionable business practices of Powders Automobiles. This is why I had to just show up without notice. Cost preventative to transport the vehicle back to Montana ($700-$1200), so this was my best option.

Sorry for this crap, but this thread will likely be evidence/defense in court. I will update again when actual progress is made.

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
And some people wonder why automotive repair shops sometimes have bad reputations. I wonder if anyone local actually gets work done there, or if they just prey on tourists.

Let's hope that the mess can be repaired, and it was just a bad batch of fuel.

MTjake

Veteran Member
TDI
Update. Noticed another thread about DTC 01268 so I'll share the little bit I know (and compile some facts and quotes in case I need it for legal reasons).

Finally, 2 B4V's back in Montana and running well. New IP in place (but driver's window acting up again, me grumbling and swearing). Farley's Imports in Casper Wyoming diagnosed and repaired my vehicle for $150 less than the dealership wanted for bad diagnostic ("guessnostic") and tearing my car apart. Farley's explains my bill, asks if that sounds ok to me, explaining almost apologetically that he had to add $25 when he replaced my seeping valve cover gasket and that there was a lot of putting back together to do.

DTC 01268: first let me say that I don't know much about our cars, but try to learn as each situation crops up. I never had the opportunity to try the hammer mod as suggested by Audi5000TD to bring the quantity back below upper limit. I would definitely try this before replacing a pump that's coding "upper limit reached" or "lower limit reached". Another forum member mentioned that if (bio)diesel has a significant amount of water, it will react to form carbonic acid, which can or will etch or wear the metal of the pump skirt and other sensitive parts. So my guess is that the quantity adjuster gradually increased the amount injected to compensate for the less capable pump as the skirt wore. When I hit the A/C button, this increased demand for power resulted in ECU asking the quantity adjuster to send more fuel, surpassing the upper limit threshold, and the ECU tells the shutoff valve to close. It seems that one could compensate for a worn pump skirt with the hammer mod (no $), or even a custimized chip ($), but really I have no idea.

This scenario leaves me with a few questions;

1) Why is the ECU blamed faulty? It's in perfect order. Answer: Dealer kneejerk response. Emphasis on 'jerk'.

2) Why was the vehicle unrestartable without a new pump, but with codes cleared, and the A/C off? Possible answer: Perhaps upon startup there are additional loads which will keep the requested quantity too high, fuel shutoff valve closes almost immediately, or never opens.

3) Does the Upsolute chipping come into play here, as one if it's functions is increasing injection quantity? (not blaming Upsolute for anything, just wondering if I may have been able to swap in the original eProm and get a restart.)

The dealer: Nobody local uses them, from what I heard. Yes, it's been confirmed that they just prey on people passing through. There is a 1984 Bronco for sale on the lot that has been there for over a decade. In the back, a graveyard of mostly VW's that I assume were left when their repair bill skyrocketed (when I asked about all the cars, the question was evaded). Over at Farley's, constantly swamped with business, and really cool immaculate vintage VW's, Camaros, British cars, etc. being worked on with care. Nice shop, better than the dealer's. At the dealer, when I'm initially asking about the ECU, he gives big sigh and says "there are several items in your vehicle that can be considered an ECU" (what?)Then tells me that I need a new ECU. Then told me that biodiesel will "drop out your engine", and when I questioned him on whether the DTC was "upper limit reached" or "lower limit reached", he said "I don't know what your little book is telling you", I say "It's the Bentley", then silence from him... Also, anytime at all that I asked a question he became perturbed, saying "It's your money, you can do what you want." And three times asking me if he should get me a can of gasoline and some matches. But the big thing was when, as I see it, he tried to get me to throw the first punch as he physically prevented me from accessing my vehicle with his body, smiling a cash eating grin (it was close, breathe deep, call the cops, serenity now). I always maintained that I would pay for the IP diagnostic (what's that? 1/2 hour max. to plug in the OBD?)

In the end, I'm pretty relieved, with my only regret being that I wasn't able to work on my car myself. The original IP did have over 140K on it, I haven't received any legal papers in the mail yet, I know a very good mechanic in Casper, the Passat seems to be pulling better than ever especially at higher RPM's, and the canoe shuttle system is back in action.