2010 Jetta TDi DSG Transmission clicking Noise

buccicone

TDI
1997 Passat,Sold 1998 Jetta TDI, Sold 2010 Jetta TDi, 2006 Mercedes E320 CDI
Just got this 2010 Jetta TDi this past July after deciding to part with my '97 B4 Passat TDi. The Jetta presently has 60K miles and I'm noticing a clicking sound when the DSG transmission "dowshifts". It sounds like a solenoid or electronic device clicking in. I did not notice it when I first got it at 54K miles. The tranny operates normally as far as I can feel. Is there something going wrong or is this normal? I have an extended warranty good to 72K miles. Don't want to miss out on that.:confused:

BarnyardsTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf w/DSG, Malone Stage 2 (all emissions intact), HID's, Sunroof, Dynaudio, NAV
I have heard this sounds on my 2010 Golf TDI since the get go. I usually notice it from a 2nd->1st downshift. If the tranny is performing normally you should be fine. If you have vagcom you can do the DSG calibration. If this was not done at 40,000 miles it could help with the sound and also smoother take offs and subsequent shifts. If you go to Ross-tech's site you will find the DSG calibration page. Very simple, just follow the instructions exactly.

buccicone

TDI
I'm not finding any DSG Calibration procedure page. Can you send me a link. Thanks

buccicone

TDI
I found calibration procedure and went through all the steps. My initial impression is that noise is maybe 90% gone. I will see through normal daily driving and report back...........

BarnyardsTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf w/DSG, Malone Stage 2 (all emissions intact), HID's, Sunroof, Dynaudio, NAV
Sorry for the delayed response. Glad you found the literature. What did you think of all those clicking noises while it was doing it? Hahahah. Definitely let me know what you think of daily driving. Pay special attention to stopping and starting. I think you will notice a difference.

buccicone

TDI
I'm glad I knew before I did the recalibration of the clicking & jerking doing the first 2 steps. I am definitely not hearing the clicking noise as much. I didn't really do the "defined test drive". Do you know what this does exactly? The note they put at the end makes is sound like it is not necessary.

Special Procedures

Defined Test Drive

Suggested test drive after replacing the mechatronic or successful basic setting.

Prerequisites:

• Fluid Temperature 30...100 °C (86...210 °F), see Measuring Blocks, Group 019.
  • Do Not use Cruise Control.
Drive in Tiptronic Mode from stand still up to 6th Gear.
While doing that make sure to drive in Gears 3 or 5 for approx. 5 minutes and also in 4 or 6 for approx. 5 minutes.
The engine speed window for all gears is 1200 - 3500 RPM (for clutch calibration).
Perform one sharp braking followed by a full throttle acceleration (oil return check) while in Drive, Not Tiptronic Mode.
Evaluate creep and starting-off points.
Check for leaks.

NOTE: If the test drive cannot be performed in the recommended way or the necessary time, any remaining adaptations will be performed automatically during normal driving
Special Notes

• Some modules do not require the use if the [ON/OFF/Next] button. If an Error is displayed after clicking the button, or the Basic Settings status does not switch to On, let the selected group and procedure finish on its own.

• It is normal for the transmission to make noise while the tolerances are adapting. Do not exit or abort the Basic Settings sequence prematurely if you hear clacking noises.

• Customers with TDI's have reported that an RPM range of 2000-2500 rpm is sufficient.