Taking delivery at end of month, looking to get 350k or more

about2buyTDI

TDI
2012 JSW 2.0
I have a 2012 Jetta Sportwagon on deposit and hope to take delivery by the end of the month. I'm planning on 40+ MPG and 350k+ miles. Am I nuts?

cd_booth

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI DSG
I don't think so. You'll get your 40+ mpg average if you do a lot of highway driving. As for the life of the vehicle, stick to the maintenance schedule and you'll probably get there. You may have some stumbles along the way in terms of DPF, transmission, etc. but the engine should last.

wutbürger

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 CW Golf 4dr 6mt
Nobody in the U.S. can attest to 350K+ out of a VW CR TDI; a few have hit over 100K in a mostly trouble free fashion- the CR TDI's are significantly more complex (for instance a few members have started having issues with their diesel particulate filter "DPF"). I'm not saying you'll have issues- all cars are different- but just know that if things do go wrong, they are typically expensive to repair still on the CR TDI's given the lack of aftermarket solutions for these motors and their auxiliary parts/devices.

On the MPG front, you'll easily hit that if you do a lot of highway driving- my Golf clocked 43-46mpg, every tank without question, with the 6M until the HPFP want kaboom. Great car, great fun, great mileage, but I couldn't stand the thought of another $8,000 repair bill out of warranty.

I wish you the best and enjoy your new ride!

cd_booth

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI DSG
There's a couple owners on here with over 200,000 miles on this engine. One specifically has had 0 out of the ordinary issues. I think the only non-wear item in that example was an exhaust valve replacement and that is relatively inexpensive.

eparker202

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Beetle Convertible 6MT TDI
Nobody in the U.S. can attest to 350K+ out of a VW CR TDI; a few have hit over 100K in a mostly trouble free fashion- the CR TDI's are significantly more complex (for instance a few members have started having issues with their diesel particulate filter "DPF"). I'm not saying you'll have issues- all cars are different- but just know that if things do go wrong, they are typically expensive to repair still on the CR TDI's given the lack of aftermarket solutions for these motors and their auxiliary parts/devices.

On the MPG front, you'll easily hit that if you do a lot of highway driving- my Golf clocked 43-46mpg, every tank without question, with the 6M until the HPFP want kaboom. Great car, great fun, great mileage, but I couldn't stand the thought of another $8,000 repair bill out of warranty.

I wish you the best and enjoy your new ride!
I would get a little more specific with your "VW CR TDI" claim. How about "VW CR TDI 09+"? There are many examples of MK4 "VW CR TDI"s with over 350k miles.

To the OP. DSG or manual tranny? That could be a big factor in 40+ mpgs and 350k miles.

pommeree

TDI
2010 TDI Sportwagon
Some of us keep them around for awhile...
Wasn't talkin' to you.
I was trying to gauge if the OP had a propensity for maintaining cars with exceptional mileage.
Maybe also get him/her to elaborate on driving habits and miles per year, etc.
maxedtdi said:
Not gonna happen
Otherwise, this. ^^

I know most here -including myself- are just ga-ga over our new TDIs and have misty visions of tearful high-fives when the ODO rolls past 300,000 on the family trip to Yosemite some 18 years from now.
But the reality IMO is that, reliable or not, at 6Yrs. & 100K miles the honeymoon is long over and at 12Yrs & 200K miles there will be a whole host of new vehicles and technologies that we'll think is "just the bees knees!"
I handed over the keys to a '97 Camry with an even 200K miles on it that had absolutely nothing wrong with it. And aside from a new set of shocks and a starter motor, I only ever had to perform standard maintenance on it in that time.
I swore I was going to drive that car forever! "200K miles!? She's just broken in! A Million Miles here I come!"
Two minutes at the wheel of my TDI and I said: "Toyota what? A what Camry?"

Last edited:

cd_booth

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI DSG
pommeree said:
I know most here -including myself- are just ga-ga over our new TDIs and have misty visions of tearful high-fives when the ODO rolls past 300,000 on the family trip to Yosemite some 18 years from now.
How dare you crush my dreams!!! You hit it spot on. :D

pknopp

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
But the reality IMO is that, reliable or not, at 6Yrs. & 100K miles the honeymoon is long over and at 12Yrs & 200K miles there will be a whole host of new vehicles and technologies that we'll think is "just the bees knees!"
I handed over the keys to a '97 Camry with an even 200K miles on it that had absolutely nothing wrong with it. And aside from a new set of shocks and a starter motor, I only ever had to perform standard maintenance on it in that time.
I swore I was going to drive that car forever! "200K miles!? She's just broken in! A Million Miles here I come!"
So I assume you had it around 12-13 years. Some will do 350,000 in 12-13 years.

veedubfreak

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 golf
Wasn't talkin' to you.
I was trying to gauge if the OP had a propensity for maintaining cars with exceptional mileage.

Otherwise, this. ^^

That's how I felt about my 04.5 GLI. I figured I was going to be buried in the car until I rode around in a buddies '10 TDI golf :)

about2buyTDI

TDI
2012 JSW 2.0
Wasn't talkin' to you.
Otherwise, this. ^^
I'm the OP. To answer some of the questions that were asked...
I like to keep my cars for a relatively long time. But my wife and I do tend to drive a lot. We each average about 25k to 30k per year. That is why I'm looking for a car that gets excellent MPG.
We currently have 2 vehicles, a Sienna 170k and a GMC Sierra 102k. The GMC is a diesel and I intend to keep it for a long, long time. Previously, the longest I ever kept a car was our Nissan Pathfinder, 185k. The only reason I sold that is that the front end dipped when braking and we had a new born that I did not want to risk with a rollover.
I don't expect to be able to keep a car for 300k without putting some money into it but I don't think one should expect to have to put significant money into a car prior to 120k.
We plan to use the JSW for longer trips (we are not selling either of our other vehicles) and commuting to work (we each average 150mi round trip). So, the JSW will primarily see highway driving.
After I made my original post and realized I put 350k as my desired longevity, I thought I was being a bit unreasonable, but then again, why not be an optimist. If I were to give into more pessimistic tendencies, I would not buy this car. But to let fear get the better of me would mean missing out on what I expect to be a good deal of enjoyment from this car. I took one for a test drive yesterday and took a few corners at 60mph (at least that is what my son said. I was looking at the road, getting into the ride). What a pleasure to have a practical family vehicle that can still provide a thrill.
So, given the above, I am serious about keeping this car for at least 300k and saving a ton of money on fuel in the mean time!

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
This. Any car can hit 350k. Just depends how much money you're willing to put into maintenance/repairs. Some cost more than others.
Isn't that the truth. My '95 Isuzu Trooper with the 3.2 gas (auto) is at 348K and still climbing, tranny's been slipping since 182K. Been a great car, but 18 mpg sucks. All original components minus the expendables like brakes, starter, alternator, etc. Brother has it now down in Kentucky due to the rust on the frame.

sgoldste01

Veteran Member
TDI
None; Replaced 2010 Golf TDI with 2012 Subaru Impreza 5-door with manual tranny
Maybe the Camry is greater than the Focus. But the current Civic has been a reliability disappointment for Honda, as has the current Odyssey.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Welcome about2buyTDI! You've got lots of company in New England. If you're interested go to the Regional Forums and look for Get Togethers in New England. We get together the first Friday of most months, often in the Worcester area, not too far from you. And there's a get together (GTG) coming up in CT later this month that's not far away from you at all. You'll learn a lot about TDIs at any of these gatherings.

Regarding 350K: I talk with TDI owners all day long at work and I'd say that getting over 300K on a TDI without major engine work is the exception, not the rule. Most cars don't get past 200 or 250K without clutch and turbo replacements, many need them much sooner. There aren't a lot of cars out there with over 300K that haven't had the head pulled and refreshed, injectors replaced (on PDs), or had new pistons or rings.

Using my own car as an example, at 265K I'm looking at slowly increasing oil consumption, and will probably pull the head and refresh it with this timing belt change. I may need piston rings and may do those, too, if necessary.

Sure, my car is modified. And keeping a car stock will help it last longer. But I'm a mature driver who doesn't abuse his car, and I've owned this car since new and maintained it carefully.

Long story short, I think 200K is doable. You may need a turbo, may need DPFs, may need injectors or EGR equipment, all which can add up to thousands of dollars in parts and labor. But maybe not. If you keep repairing any car it will last nearly indefinitely. And the good news for us in the Northeast is the rust warranty, although my '02 is also showing a bit of rust after 10 winters.

about2buyTDI

TDI
2012 JSW 2.0
Welcome about2buyTDI! You've got lots of company in New England. If you're interested go to the Regional Forums and look for Get Togethers in New England. We get together the first Friday of most months, often in the Worcester area, not too far from you. And there's a get together (GTG) coming up in CT later this month that's not far away from you at all. You'll learn a lot about TDIs at any of these gatherings.

Regarding 350K: I talk with TDI owners all day long at work and I'd say that getting over 300K on a TDI without major engine work is the exception, not the rule. Most cars don't get past 200 or 250K without clutch and turbo replacements, many need them much sooner. There aren't a lot of cars out there with over 300K that haven't had the head pulled and refreshed, injectors replaced (on PDs), or had new pistons or rings.

Using my own car as an example, at 265K I'm looking at slowly increasing oil consumption, and will probably pull the head and refresh it with this timing belt change. I may need piston rings and may do those, too, if necessary.

Sure, my car is modified. And keeping a car stock will help it last longer. But I'm a mature driver who doesn't abuse his car, and I've owned this car since new and maintained it carefully.

Long story short, I think 200K is doable. You may need a turbo, may need DPFs, may need injectors or EGR equipment, all which can add up to thousands of dollars in parts and labor. But maybe not. If you keep repairing any car it will last nearly indefinitely. And the good news for us in the Northeast is the rust warranty, although my '02 is also showing a bit of rust after 10 winters.
Thanks for the welcome! Can you elaborate on the rust warranty?

about2buyTDI

TDI
2012 JSW 2.0
Maybe the Camry is greater than the Focus. But the current Civic has been a reliability disappointment for Honda, as has the current Odyssey.
The tides of reliability ebb and flow. I bought a Toyota Sienna because I thought it would be reliable. The engine and drive train have been fine. The run flat tires are another story completely. Literally went through 8 sets of tires, before getting Toyota to pay for switching back to conventional tires. Then we had problems with both automatic sliding side doors. No car is perfect.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
VW has as 12 year rust warranty. However, it's for panels that rust through. I've got a bit of rust starting on one rocker panel, and a little bubbling in my tailgate (common on A4 wagons). I don't think it's bad enough to get it covered yet, but I've got two more years. I have a very good relationship with a local dealer (we buy a lot from them) so I will work with them and hope for the best.

powerstrokeless

Veteran Member
TDI
B4V
It is not unrealistic for wanting to get 350k out of a vehicle, yes you have to do repairs to get there, so what.
I have a 97' F250 7.3 powerstroke with 298k and plan on keeping it past 400k..

Westro

Veteran Member
TDI
It can be driven to 350K+, but at what cost?

First 200K was a breeze with zero to little input of $ for parts. Last 100K has cost me some money and this is on a motor that looks more like a tractor than a state of the art Common Rail like you have.

pawel

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 TDI 6 MT, Platinum Gray Metallic, Anthracite Interior
To the OP: with proper maintenance you can get to 300k miles.
I drive an 09 TDI 6M with 132,168 mi, and I got it on 9/13/08 meaning that I drive approximately 35,000 mi a year.
I buy diesel in PA because it's 2% BIO.

To Maxedtdi: OP wants to buy a car not a washer.

Last edited:

LandCruiser

Veteran Member
TDI
1991 Mazda Miata
Doable with standard maintenance, preventative maintenance, DIY know how, obviously money, and with some luck.

At 10 years, even a small accident can total your vehicle.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
We'll see what happens. I hope you guys are right. I also think that if an owner faces a failed turbo and DPF simultaneously they may walk away instead of spending $5-7K on parts and labor. And when the clutches go in the DSG, well...

You can't compare these cars to a Powerstroke, or even an ALH or AHU. They really are unknown territory.