TDIClub Forums

TDIClub Forums (http://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php)
-   Mid-west USA (http://forums.tdiclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Chicago 2009 TDI Owners: Non-Biodiesel Support Group (http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=237849)

eshawger May 3rd, 2013 19:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by TDiSkater (Post 4176033)
Just search on IL biodiesel tax incentive. You'll see at this time it only requires B11 to avoid the tax. My source is Ernie's diesel delivery man who told me what he delivers locally. Label 6 to 20 was set up to avoid changing labels as they increased. My other source is my secondary station owner. Phillips 66 in Volo. Owner and I had a long talk about the bio levels and why they chose to be D2 and advertise it.

I work at Baxter in Round Lake and Deerfield near both Philips 66 and Ernie's. That's great I've learned about other convenient D2 stations thanks to your help! The TDIClub forums have been super.

TDiSkater May 3rd, 2013 19:43

Volo 66 is always cheaper than Ernie's, but my schedule doesn't take me that way too often these days. There is also a BP at 12 and Liberty.

ualfltdispatch May 4th, 2013 09:14

Volo 66 my fav. Always send my wife's gasser that way too as 66 is always competing with Thorton's to the North and BP to the south. Been using 66 D2 in Volo since I got my Golf, no hiccups yet...fingers crossed.

eshawger May 8th, 2013 18:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by ualfltdispatch (Post 4176507)
Volo 66 my fav. Always send my wife's gasser that way too as 66 is always competing with Thorton's to the North and BP to the south. Been using 66 D2 in Volo since I got my Golf, no hiccups yet...fingers crossed.

Thanks. Great to have a convenient reliable D2 alternative on my way to/from work.

gary2smart July 30th, 2013 19:45

D2 Northern IL Lake county

Quote:

Originally Posted by fjhil1 (Post 4079261)
For the first time I checked out the Marathon station on the corner of Route 59 and Grass Lake Road in Antioch this morning. They have diesel without bio and actually have a big sticker on the pump that says "No Bio Diesel". This station is very close to me so it looks like I have a new place to safely fill up.

Shell USA sent me this PDF link http://s03.static-shell.com/content/...l-brochure.pdf
They only blend up to B5 so that's safe to use, confirmed by calling all the Shell
Stations in my area near Round lake and Waukegan.
Thanks for this post now you added to my list;

Murphy- Fountain Square Waukegan - D2
Earnies- Lincolnshire-D2
Marathon- Antioch- D2
Phillips 66- Volo -D2

I live in Lake Villa and work in Northbrook so hope this helps. Loving my TDI Jetta 2013, called VW and they gave me the same argument of checking my oil regularly if Bio is used. Will only use minimally in an emergency.

TDiSkater July 31st, 2013 08:18

Meijers in Waukegan? Isn't that a Murphy's?

gary2smart August 2nd, 2013 15:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by TDiSkater (Post 4255650)
Meijers in Waukegan? Isn't that a Murphy's?

You are correct sorry.

TDiSkater August 2nd, 2013 17:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by gary2smart (Post 4258165)
You are correct sorry.

Do you like their fuel? I work down the street and only drove thru once when I went to Sweet Tomato. I think I saw they advertise using Power Service as their additive.

gary2smart August 3rd, 2013 20:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by TDiSkater (Post 4258276)
Do you like their fuel? I work down the street and only drove thru once when I went to Sweet Tomato. I think I saw they advertise using Power Service as their additive.

Not yet I live closer to Volo's Phillips 66 plus I just took a liking to my conversations with the elderly attendant their, He knows diesel. Oh, Shell
called me back Yesterday and said that their stations only sold B5 not a percent higher in Illinois.

TDiSkater August 5th, 2013 07:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by gary2smart (Post 4259128)
Not yet I live closer to Volo's Phillips 66 plus I just took a liking to my conversations with the elderly attendant their, He knows diesel. Oh, Shell
called me back Yesterday and said that their stations only sold B5 not a percent higher in Illinois.

Agree, they pride themselves on their fuel quality - I miss filling at Volo. I haven't been able to take my long weekend rides since last fall (that's when I'd pass Volo 66). I'm not sure about that call you received from Shell. I spoke to one of their delivery drivers one day while fueling at Ernie's Shell in Vernon Hills - he told me that he delivers B11 Diesel to all the other Shell's in the area and really was impressed by the D2 quality (I assume that meant both non-bio and the additive package) that Ernie's ordered on a regular basis.

gary2smart August 8th, 2013 08:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by TDiSkater (Post 4260275)
Agree, they pride themselves on their fuel quality - I miss filling at Volo. I haven't been able to take my long weekend rides since last fall (that's when I'd pass Volo 66). I'm not sure about that call you received from Shell. I spoke to one of their delivery drivers one day while fueling at Ernie's Shell in Vernon Hills - he told me that he delivers B11 Diesel to all the other Shell's in the area and really was impressed by the D2 quality (I assume that meant both non-bio and the additive package) that Ernie's ordered on a regular basis.

That's why I will try to stick with D2 and pay the higher cost per gallon and use a lubricity additive, currently using PS but from my reading it seems I can buy a gallon of bio and then fill with D2 to take care of the lubrication issue with the injector valves. Ernie really rapes us with the price Volo 66 is always cheaper.

TDiSkater August 9th, 2013 20:15

Yes Ernie's is higher, but Volo is 15 miles one way further. I burn .7 gallon to get there and home vs Ernie's. I use to take a joy ride out that way, but my work hours changed.

gary2smart August 11th, 2013 09:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by TDiSkater (Post 4265065)
Yes Ernie's is higher, but Volo is 15 miles one way further. I burn .7 gallon to get there and home vs Ernie's. I use to take a joy ride out that way, but my work hours changed.

I found a Marathon at Grasslake Rd. and RT 59 that also sells 100% Petro. My lawn service Guy told me and the pump has a plainly marked sticker. :)
Driving to save a few pennies is really a great observation I told my wife that a few days ago.

gary2smart August 13th, 2013 12:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by gary2smart (Post 4255303)
Shell USA sent me this PDF link http://s03.static-shell.com/content/...l-brochure.pdf
They only blend up to B5 so that's safe to use, confirmed by calling all the Shell
Stations in my area near Round lake and Waukegan.
Thanks for this post now you added to my list;

Murphy- Fountain Square Waukegan - D2
Earnies- Lincolnshire-D2
Marathon- Antioch- D2
Phillips 66- Volo -D2
Shell Stations - B5 VW safe

I live in Lake Villa and work in Northbrook so hope this helps. Loving my TDI Jetta 2013, called VW and they gave me the same argument of checking my oil regularly if Bio is used. Will only use minimally in an emergency.

I have been to at least Ten shell stations so far all except Earnie's are all bio above D2 so don't use unaware.

TDiSkater August 13th, 2013 20:20

The only challenge I have with the Shell statement that they are B5 is they don't qualify for the tax incentive. From what I can see the Shell stations are priced at or near B11 competitors (other than Ernie's). Seems weird to me, but glad to have more options.