ALH CAN-BUS issues

Nozzleman

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Ford Ranger ALH
After 8 months not working on it, I finally got back on my Ranger a month or so back.

Trying to make the ALH PCM (Malone stage 4) talk to the aftermarket interface (tach, glow plug etc) via CAN-BUS.

I got the truck running but have an issue where the CAN-BUS shuts down after it runs for about 30 seconds. I have removed everything except the DLC port wires that is not required to make the engine run.

Got good power and ground and I get the proper tach signal out of the interface until it shuts off, yet the tach does not work. Swapped clusters and same thing. Turn the ignition the tach does its bounce, start it and it goes to idle rpm but won't move past that when revved.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

BigTurboAlh

Veteran Member
TDI
06 ranger cjaa swap
My ranger is doing the exact same thing lol I have no idea why it’s doing it. Mine I go in vag com to adjust timing and it shuts off. Same thing clearing codes.

Last edited:

llopness

TDI
ALH, BEW, BHW
do you guys have the bus set up with terminating resistors? or just a twisted pair running straight from the ECU to the aftermarket unit?

Nozzleman

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Ford Ranger ALH
My problem ended up being the hooky interface. I couldn't get the tach to work correctly ever. Spent a lot of time trying to resolve it but work schedule made working on the truck few and far between so I basically started at the same point every time I worked on it. Finally disconnected the interface and attached the tach leads to a output shaft speed sensor and spun it by hand. That gave me a working tach signal. That is when I realized that the interface was mis programmed. I called the vendor and he said ship it back to Canada. Once he got it he said I burned it up and refused to stand behind it so I was out $300 more or less. It only had about 8 wires and it was hooked up according to his schematic so the problem was on his end, not mine but he was way to arrogant to admit fault or even make it right saying that since I had the interface over a year "too bad so sad."

In the end, I was able to make everything work using Dakota Digital interfaces.

llopness

TDI
ALH, BEW, BHW
fastforward automotive?

My problem ended up being the hooky interface. I couldn't get the tach to work correctly ever. Spent a lot of time trying to resolve it but work schedule made working on the truck few and far between so I basically started at the same point every time I worked on it. Finally disconnected the interface and attached the tach leads to a output shaft speed sensor and spun it by hand. That gave me a working tach signal. That is when I realized that the interface was mis programmed. I called the vendor and he said ship it back to Canada. Once he got it he said I burned it up and refused to stand behind it so I was out $300 more or less. It only had about 8 wires and it was hooked up according to his schematic so the problem was on his end, not mine but he was way to arrogant to admit fault or even make it right saying that since I had the interface over a year "too bad so sad."

In the end, I was able to make everything work using Dakota Digital interfaces.