TDIClub Forums

TDIClub Forums (http://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php)
-   VW B5 Passat TDIs (http://forums.tdiclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   BHW Balance Shaft Module replacement (http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=233651)

leicaman June 7th, 2009 08:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by aja8888
Too bad we couldn't get a jerk like Michael Moore
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g1...8/abidensm.jpg
or some cleb on our side to promote or help kick off an internet and/or news media blitz against VW on these issues.

I sent that fellow with the stripped sprocket a link to this thread for good measure.

I just sent the BS thread to Michael Moore himself. Well you never know...

senez June 8th, 2009 05:08

Car is in Wilmington at German Speed Merchants, appointment for today. Should pick it up tomorrow.

Am I correct in that you can no longer order the chain-driven assembly? I'm pretty sure they understood what I was saying as Jon said, "this is an expensive upgrade, but a necessary one."

Hopefully it sounds different when I get it back.

oilhammer June 8th, 2009 05:10

Correct, you cannot buy the chain-driven balance shaft assembly. You can still buy the chain and tensioner, while parts supplies last. But why would you?

senez June 8th, 2009 05:35

Good good...I have no idea why you would, as you'd just be back in there in short order. I just wanted some measure of assurance that they weren't ripping me off at 1800 bucks. I should know within seconds whether or not it was done correctly.

So I talked with the guy about 5...he said they got a late start and got it to the point of BS removal. May not be able to pick it up tomorrow as they don't want to rush it. Hopefully this doesn't increase my expected cost exponentially. I would really hope not.

rluteijn June 8th, 2009 16:29

Hi there,

This forum has certainly wrecked my weekend (and trust in VW !) since Steve @ Independent Auto pointed me out to this problem...

I found this link (one more confirmation...) http://www.aboutautomobile.com/Compl...kswagen/Passat that contains 24 (on June 8 2009) complaints filed with the NHTSA.

We're at 82000 Mi and the car vibrates (and is loud) when stopped at a light (in gear, foot on brake). In neutral it sounds OK.
Tried to get the dealer to recommend the BS replacement but they cannot find a problem and point to the CV Joint (that will be replaced tomorrow, but cannot have anything to do with vibration when the car is not moving ??).

Not sure wheter to repair the car or pay 3500 + <fill with amount that dealer owner needs to replace his old 65" flatscreen TV with a larger one> to fix the vibration.

Thanks,
Richard

oilhammer June 8th, 2009 17:20

Get it upgraded, ASAP. Don't let it break! :eek:

volkswagendude June 8th, 2009 18:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by rluteijn
I found this link (one more confirmation...) http://www.aboutautomobile.com/Compl...kswagen/Passat that contains 24 (on June 8 2009) complaints filed with the NHTSA.

Nice link!

leicaman June 8th, 2009 19:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by oilhammer
Get it upgraded, ASAP. Don't let it break! :eek:

Absolutely! My car has not moved an inch for the last two weeks and it won't move an inch until the day I drive it to Oilhammer to get repaired. Nice part about doing it this way I will drive down there on $2.10 per gallon diesel as I filled the tank up several weeks ago! :)

senez June 9th, 2009 19:02

They didn't finish today. Said they should be able to finish it tomorrow, but he wants it to get it up and running for a bit to make sure there aren't any additional issues before he sends me home with it. Maybe Thursday before I see it again.

:(

tdicdi June 11th, 2009 09:53

Cant wait to see Brian tomorrow!! Finally chainless... though its a long drive there yet!!
Will give an update soon on how that went!!
Thanks for everything Brian....
Raji

oilhammer June 11th, 2009 10:31

Have a safe trip here. Don't drive too fast... and remember Interstate 64 through STL is closed. :o

leicaman June 11th, 2009 10:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by tdicdi
Cant wait to see Brian tomorrow!! Finally chainless... though its a long drive there yet!!
Will give an update soon on how that went!!
Thanks for everything Brian....
Raji

Drive careful and safe. Don't want to hear tales of woe and or a nasty ticket. Besides, if you drive properly at the limit you will use less diesel fuel! Be nice to Brian I don't want him grumpy when I see him next week.

oilhammer June 11th, 2009 11:06

I have a total of 11 Volkswagens here today, no way in heck I good be grumpy. I am one happy camper! :D :D :D

tdicdi June 11th, 2009 12:24

Thanks Guys... will drive relatively slow.. at least on the way there! I hear all kinds of imaginary chain sounds in my head now when I go over 70!
And I was hoping to catch Brian in a great mood, too - luckily the other 11 cars there today have helped accomplish that task!!
Will try and leave work early today to start out... maybe in another hour or two.
Anxious, but cant wait.....

rluteijn June 11th, 2009 13:38

Thanks everybody for the info on this forum !

After contemplating purchasing an extended warranty (which should be legal and morally sound, since officially there is nothing wrong with the car) the dealer offered to do the job for 2425.00 + tax (using the parts list from my TPI, posted on this forum...).

The last few days driving have been very unpleasant, knowing the whole thing may go kaboom any minute. I can hear noises... I will go back tomorrow for one last test drive with a mechanic.

Funny thing; While visiting the dealer today we walked in the sales section and the salesman asked what kind of car we had. A Passat 2005 TDI Wagon... Oh, he says, very good car, will last you at least 200k Mi.
I said, actually it is designed to not make it past 100k because of a BS chain issue.
Response... silence, then he walked away from me towards my wife to tell her about the new Touareg TDI.