TDIClub Forums

TDIClub Forums (http://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php)
-   VW B5 Passat TDIs (http://forums.tdiclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   BHW Balance Shaft Module replacement (http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=233651)

PlaneCrazy April 25th, 2009 09:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdshinn
The car was fairly quiet before the upgrade and I was a little concerned about the expense but it was noticeably quieter and I now have a huge piece of mind I will not be left stranded on the side of the road somewhere.

Well, with a 100k+ car there is always the chance that we will be left stranded on the road somewhere.

But at least for you it won't be the balance shaft chain!

I hope to get mine done soon. I expect to hear back from the dealer shortly.

MOGolf April 26th, 2009 20:13

There is one more unchained Passat. This one is in MI. About 70K on it. Noisy before, but no evident problem or unusual wear. Quiet and smooth now.

leicaman April 26th, 2009 20:19

MOGolf, just out of curiosity could you put a ball park finger on how many B5.5 TDIs are now unchained here in the states now? Are we maybe up to a hundred conversions?

MOGolf April 26th, 2009 20:45

More than 1 and less than 20,000. ;)

There is no way of knowing. I suspect that not all of them have been done by TDICLUB participants or posted. I have not collected a pile of parts like oilhammer. It doesn't make sense for me to haul them back here. This one in MI was unchained on my way back from a friend's retirement party.

Mine geared BS module has over 11,000 miles on it now without a problem.

Oh that reminds me. We did check the oil pump hex shaft play. By holding the hex shaft with needle nose pliers, and turning the balance shafts back and forth, we noticed a lot of play. I didn't take it apart to find out what the shaft's hole looked like. That would qualify as significant wear, though not visible without further disassembly.

PlaneCrazy April 27th, 2009 05:05

Does the redesigned BS module still have the same weak hex shaft for the oil pump?

TDIJetta99 April 27th, 2009 05:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by PlaneCrazy
Does the redesigned BS module still have the same weak hex shaft for the oil pump?

It looks like it has the same hex shaft, but I haven't pulled one out to compare.. I did notice play in the hex shaft on a new geared assembly though it wasn't quite as much as the old assembly..

Next one I have in here I'll take the shaft out of both and compare them.

oilhammer April 27th, 2009 05:16

There is a newer hex shaft, MOGolf has reported on that here before. Newer part number, and more consistant tolerances.

TDIJetta99 April 27th, 2009 05:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by oilhammer
There is a newer hex shaft, MOGolf has reported on that here before. Newer part number, and more consistant tolerances.

That makes sense, it didn't seem right that they would use the same one, but it's VW....

genericMK April 27th, 2009 10:39

I have some good news for you B5 Passat TDI owners; at least, for some. I picked mine up at 54xxx a few months ago and love is so much I took it on quite a few road trips. I was getting pretty close to 60K on the clock and decided to talk to VW service before I went over the mark. I do have extended, pre-loved VW 24K/2yr additional warranty on the merit of purchasing it certified from VW dealership, however, I chose to do this before going over the powertrain warranty. I wrote a letter to VW, like most of you, with the same reply as the rest.

As I was nearing 60K, I was at 59940, to be exact, I took it to the dealership, where I have a pretty good relationship with one of the service guys on the merit of having owned several VWs in the past 7 years, to let them listen to the car and to go on record, before my powertrain warranty expires, with the complaint of the BS module. The dealership was very reluctant to work with me, even though, as I mentioned above, our relation ship is good and they have gone the extra mile for me on more than one occasion. I let the tech listen to the car, he noted the unusual sound, even though he was trying to inform me that diesels are louder than gasoline cars by default. He informed me that if they take the car in and don't find anything, it will be out of my pocket, for the diagnosis. I kindly asked him to call me before they do anything that will potentially cost me a good chunk. I left.

I didn't have an appointment, so my car was waiting in line for one of the 2 diesel tech they have. A couple of days later, I got a call saying that they just got a car on trade-in, a diesel Passat and that it is exhibiting the same unusual noise. I was told that one of the two techs they have has been involved in the BS replacement on a Passat while employed at a different dealership and knew of the problem I described. I was told that they're going to talk with VW Tech line and see what they say as far as what to do.

I just got a call today saying that they have verified the BS module issue in the car and that it will be repaired under power train warranty! The parts are on order and will not arrive until Thursday and that they have 2 full days booked for the repair. I'm stoked! I haven't been able to verify whether this will be the chain or the gear driven BS assembly, but I was promissed the verification when the parts arrive.

_MK

oilhammer April 27th, 2009 10:50

I hope they get the tools in to do the job as well.

drdsl April 27th, 2009 11:08

BS conversion

Just retuned from St Louis yesterday afternoon. I had prevoiusly shipped our 05 B5.5V to Oilhammer 3 weeks earlier for the BS replacement. The car had been getting progressively noisier over the past several weeks. When Brian opened it the tensioner fell apart, glad I did'nt drive it out there! While it was there he also did the TB, alt. pulley, brake flush, trans. service, TDI heater install and rebooted my spare pair of OEM axles (aftermarket on there right now). The car runs wonderfully- 13 hours run back to Philly. I can highly recommend Brian and his professional service. Unfortunately I was unable to witness the transplant or meet Brian as I had to return for the car on the weekend. Don't hesitate to get this work done.

TDIJetta99 April 27th, 2009 11:10

Quote:

At least the important ones, the little jammy to lock the balance shaft and the crank lock..

dhuddleson April 27th, 2009 11:32

Quote:

Yes, perhaps now that the dealer is going to do the job, show them the procedure developed here, the 30-page PDF file.... Let the mechanics view the appendix of special tools!

loco engineer April 28th, 2009 06:19

MK, Which dealer near Boulder is willing to do the work under warranty?

genericMK April 28th, 2009 07:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by dhuddleson
Yes, perhaps now that the dealer is going to do the job, show them the procedure developed here, the 30-page PDF file.... Let the mechanics view the appendix of special tools!

Wouldn't VW supply the mechanic with the official procedure?

_MK