Starting Problem 98 Jetta

iwannaatdi

TDI
98 Jetta
I am having a problem starting my 98 Jetta. When I turn the key over to start. I lose power to the clock and the milage. When I turn off I get power restored and there is a clicking on the left side of steering wheel. I have replaced the ignition switch. Thank you in advance.

iwannaatdi

TDI
98 Jetta
I have also replace the 109 relay. I have been searching the post but have not found anything thats close to what I have trouble with.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Bad battery or bad connections maybe, dirty earth etc?:)

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
maybe the solonoid for the starter is the culrit, how long has it been like this?:)

iwannaatdi

TDI
98 Jetta
I drove the car Sunday every thing was fine, Monday morning it would not start, tried to jump with another car nothing. After work look at it again was able to jump the car from another. Went around the block, shut the car off, Started acting crazy. Ordered ignition switch, replaced, changed 109 relay, almost same as b4. Changed battery, good light, no start . Pushed started, I am charging battery, after 10 minutes, charger says battery charged. I am thinking Alternator, will have it checked at auto zone tomorrow. Thanks again.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Bad grounds possibly,but I'm thinking starter bit the dust. The metal braided strap on top of starter that I think goes from solenoid to starter tends to disintegrate.Look to spend around $140 or more with your old starter from your local stores(Advance,Autozone,Napa,etc...)

iwannaatdi

TDI
98 Jetta
I changed the starter, didnt start. Checked the old starter which was good. With the key off,I put the meter on ground and the red on positive on the battery I am getting 12.65 volts. I disconnect one of the wires on positive cable it goes to zero. I think the alarm is bad is there a way to disconnect it? Or any other suggestions.

ctrlburn

TDI
2000 Jetta / 2014 Jetta / 2012 Golf
Symptom Clarification - for broken solenoid braided wire

My 1998 Jetta TDI normal sequence when reconnecting battery: Clicking left side of steering wheel is alarm module behind the light switches (white poly box) . A "whirring" at the left rear, (doors unlocking?) and running lights blink.

I just disassembled mine - almost same symptoms - metal braid on starter to solenoid disintegrated completely through.

Prior to disassembly for solenoid to starter wire failure when just turning the key with the solenoid to starter wire broken - it mine did not trigger clicking in the alarm module, or odometer/clock reset.

If yours is doing that same sequence when you turn your key - it is the same as mine when the battery is removed from the circuit, sorry no insight as to "why?".

Bad grounds possibly,but I'm thinking starter bit the dust. The metal braided strap on top of starter that I think goes from solenoid to starter tends to disintegrate.Look to spend around $140 or more with your old starter from your local stores(Advance,Autozone,Napa,etc...)

ajo134

TDI
1998 jetta 1.9
I Am currently having the same problems with my 97 jetta tdi. Was this problem ever resolved? I have already replaced the ignition switch, relay 109 and have cleaned all the ground wires. I check all the fuses in the fuse panels and the fuses in the engine compartment. When I turn my key to the on position the clock and odometer go dim and no gauges on the dash turn on. The engine cranks great but it does not start. What was the final culprit?

Last edited: