Newbie, member, veteran member designation

spuimatt

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Indigo Blue Golf TDI
I can't seem to find any information on how many posts it takes to reach veteran member status. Anybody out there know?

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
Well...you're one post closer now... ;)
It used to be 75, now I believe it is 100.
-BB

spuimatt

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Indigo Blue Golf TDI
That makes sense. I think I read the 75 number once on the site and then nothing happened when I passed the mark. I just want to be a "full-fledged member"! :D Thanks.

mobe

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf
Almost 3 years. That's the right way to become a veteran member, IMHO.
Congratulations!

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
I personally wish that not only were it based on a number of posts, but rather that it were based on posts AND time.

You have to have, say, 100 posts AND be here for at least a year.

Yes, I know, I don't meet that requirement. ;)

tdi4kev

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta GLS Reflex Silver 5 spd leather
Good to know, been wondering how to get rid of the 'newbie' designation.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
IMO its silly to put any importance in these designations. You can have 100 worthless posts (asking questions that are in the FAQ, trolling, adding nothing to discussions) and still attain "veteran" status. There are some newbies with good info to share, and veterans who you will learn to ignore.

bhtooefr

TDI
None
Agreed.

It can't be fixed 100% without voting people into Veteran Member status... but my idea would at least keep the post whores out of that status just for being post whores.

;)

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Is it worth "fixing"? I know I wouldn't take the time to vote someone in to a different status. I mainly ignore these labels. You get an idea of whether someone is a "must read" soon enough. Other than that I stay with the topics that interest me and try to consider what everyone has to say (trolls excepted).

MrErlo

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf 4dr 5sp
i managed to get my Verteran status in less than a month... but things have been pretty slow around the office and i did read the ENTIRE VOA/UOA analysis thread. i'd recommend that thread to every single new member by the way, very informative.

is there a way to revoke verteran status? say from people who just constantly bash BioD? ;)

no-blue-screen

TDI Nut
TDI
TDI
Due to the size of this forum, it should be a lot higher. Maybe something like the following:

Newbie - 0-100 posts & <6 months membership

Junior Member 101-499 posts & 6 mo - <1yr membership

Senior Member 501-999 posts & 1yr - <2yr membership

Veteran Member 1000-2999 posts & 2yr - <4yr membership

Elite Member 3000+ posts & 4+ years membership

Just an idea.

Last edited:

bhtooefr

TDI
None
I still say it should be time based.

Newbie - 0-99 posts AND 0-3 months

Junior Member - 100-499 posts AND 3-6 months

Senior Member - 500-999 posts AND 6-12 months

Veteran Member - 1000-2999 posts AND 12-24 months

Elite Member - 3000+ posts AND 24+ months

So, if you post 3000 posts in two months, you're not an elite member. You're still a newbie.

By the same token, if you post 10 posts in three years, you're also not an elite member. You're still a newbie.

FredIA

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 A5 Jetta, Shadow Blue, Pkg #1/XM, rear side curtain airbags
I wondered how I got rid of "newbie" so quick! :rolleyes:

Oh, well.. didn't even get the first oil change done before dropping the newbie title! :D

Well, it just proves that if you are like me and never shut up you get ahead in life, eh? :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Fred

no-blue-screen

TDI Nut
TDI
TDI
That is why I put the & in there. Both criteria have to be met before elevation in membership status. So in order to be a Veteran member you would have to have at least 1000 posts and have been signed up for one year.

bhtooefr

TDI
None
You edited that, and I didn't see the edit... ;)

I could agree with 4 year membership, though...

I know that vBulletin does support date cutoffs, and we know it supports post cutoffs... my only question relates to BOTH.

MrErlo

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf 4dr 5sp
No Blue,

tragically at 386, you've got a long way to go then.;)

but i guess so have i, at 150.

no-blue-screen

TDI Nut
TDI
TDI
Yes, I am at work, so I started a reply then I had to get up then I came back to edit...LOL

MrErlo, true ...but I have two months membership time on you too ;)

Ray_G

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta TDI
How about a "contributing member" if you have done a how to, or troubleshooting sticky??
Ray

bhtooefr

TDI
None
Manual user titles are teh suck?

I can say that with authority, as I run my own forum.

Then again, this forum uses manual user titles (two words: registered vendor), maybe vBulletin makes it easier?

Audi5000TDI

Banned
TDI
Passat, 1996, Grey
bhtooefr said:
I personally wish that not only were it based on a number of posts, but rather that it were based on posts AND time.

You have to have, say, 100 posts AND be here for at least a year.

Yes, I know, I don't meet that requirement. ;)
Might help also if you had a TDI, but I know that day will pass for you too, Eric. Work like a dog, save like a miser, and you'll get there.

Richard55

Vendor
TDI
2000 NB
Can't we all just get along, I say amnesty for all illegals posters that have been posting for more than 6 months and have had at least two children while posting and have wished they were here legally. Why this status problem? There are a lot of newbies and member that know a lot more about our beloved TDIs than we will ever know. It is good when they get on line and put forth their vast knowledge to we mortals.

MrErlo

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf 4dr 5sp
but i'm the classic example of a psuedo-verteran...

i've been on the forum less than 2 months, have never done ANY mods to my car or even changed my own oil (yet). but somehow i have achieved the highest status available.

i agree there should be more level of distinction, so you could tell me from DD or SUNRG w/o having to read the number lifetime posts i've made and join date. i freely admit my status is inflated.

Richard55

Vendor
TDI
2000 NB
I am sorry but anytime we mention status in a forum like this I want to close the window and LOL. Where is the status in posting more posts than someone else or having owned a tdi longer than someone else.LOL
Or having found a web site before someone else. As my dear ole daddy says "Get excited about something important in Life". Just my point of view.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I couldn't agree more, Richard.
I know a "newbie" who knows as much about these vehicles as anyone on this board, and there are "veterans" who post nothing but nonsense on a daily basis. I'm done with this thread.

hank miller

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta
I can think of only one reason to care: a new user may be positing complete garbage, so we want to let everyone know that this guy is new. By 100 posts it is clear that while they may not be 100% correct, their are not so worthless that Fred has kicked them out.

There is still room for people that you don't like to make it to veteran, and even some that often lie, but not bad enough to be kicked out, but it is a first gauge of quality.

Anything else you and you are just looking at statistics. I'm sure that for $11,000,000 you can get Fred to change the database to say you have posted 3 billion times if you really want to win the most posts war. And win by bribe, or win by spewing a lot on the keyboard, in the end it matters not. Infact if you must win I would prefer you win by bribe - it keeps TDI club open, and doesn't pollute the boards with words for the sake of words.

astonishedboy

Veteran Member
TDI
Y2k Golf, Black Mariah
Does anyone know if there is a way to search for new members?
I met someone the other day, told him about the club, now I want to see if he's on, and get in touch.
everytime I see a TDI, i tell them about the club.

by the way, the old forums didn't list cumulative post. it just sarcastically said 'does it really matter?'