Where To Find Radiator Grill Covers For Jetta

NorthPilot

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2003, emerald blue
I have noticed that, for whatever reason, engine coolant warmups are a lot faster when I cover the front of my '03 Jetta TDI Wagon with cardboard. However, I feel that it is prudent to remove this covering when temperatures are above 20 deg F.

So, there I am when it turns -20 F, outside putting cardboard on the front grill and freezing my a_ _ off...

It would be so much better if I could find a snap on radiator cover, like you see on trucks.

Has anyone bought and installed such a cover?

Thanx.

brucep

Veteran Member
TDI
peebs4u2
Go to wallmart and for about $5 you can get 3 lengths of 1/2" foam pipe insulation. These are pre-scored along their length to allow for slipping onto pipe.

Just cut lenghts of this stuff and slide over EVERY OTHER grille slat. (Dont forget the lower-center settion too) Then, you will have a costomizable grille cover. Simply toss unused sections in the trunk when the weather is warm.

CAUTION: Do not cover the air intake for the intercooler. (The passenger-side lower section)

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
Well I have a coolant heater in my car, and my car is instantly warmed up when I start it at -20 F. You can figure it out yourself, or buy a kit from RedGolfTdi who has made it a 15 minute install job (plus time looking for tools and drinking beer)! Check it out at www.tdiheater.com

brucep

Veteran Member
TDI
peebs4u2
I have the TDIheater too.... but this does NOTHING for cold weather driving... just for startup.

My engine temp used to DROP from 190 down to almost the white section if I sit and idle for 4 minutes while my wife goes into the store to get coffee. That is when I started using the pipe-insulation grille covers. Now, at least the temp drop is to about half of that.

You have to imagine that the cooling system is designed to dump engine heat when the ambient temp is over 100F. ...but when ambient is -15, the radiator simply overcools the engine. (even when stitting still.) This is because the heatercore is sucking up all of the engine heat.

Galactic_Warrior

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta
My solution to the problem, while not "elegant" was to completely tape over the lower grill opening (the one in the bumper). My car is Galactic Blue so I used black duct tape. I have a 150 mile/ day commute between Milwaukee and Chicago and this does the trick, without overheating concerns on the few days in the winter we get in the 40's.

By covering the lower portion, this reduced the airflow through the radiator, but did not completely block it as the upper grille is still open. Plus, it keeps the winter slush and sand out of the radiator and a/c condensor.

The only catch is that you need a thin cardboard backer to make installation easier and I suggest doing this in a warm environment so that the adhesive will stick.

NorthPilot

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2003, emerald blue
Covering the upper and lower grilles (and leaving the lower outer grilles uncovered) does indeed make for warmer coolant temps and better interior heat. When this airflow is not blocked off, I figure that, either the thermostat does not stop coolant flow from the radiator completely, and/or colder air in the engine compartment simply cools the engine off by passing over its metal surfaces. It seems that, even without blocking off the radiator, the coolant temp stays up when cruising on the open highway, but slow down to drive thru a town, and down the temp goes. If you leave it idling to run in to a convenience store, the temps are below the three hash marks when you come out, unless you turn the blower way down. All of these situations are improved when you block off the radiator.

Hey Bruceps: Wow! Elegant solution using 1/2" foam insulation! I'll give it a try. I can see that for "warmer" winter temps, it will be easy to pull one ,or even two, of the strips out for extra cooling, although, even with the upper and lower grilles completely covered, I have not experienced overheating up through 45 deg F.

I, too, have installed a tdiheater.com circulating pre-heater, and it is truly wonderful.

Although I have been cautioned not to do this by other list members, I continue to leave it plugged in while warming up at idle, for faster warmups. I turn the heater control full on, and the blower to the first position. After 10 minutes of idle, the coolant temp gauge reads between the three hash marks and the normal straight up 190 deg F mark. So, doing this, with heated seats and the interior semi-warm, things are tolerable right from the start of the trip.

Diesel efficiency and gasser heat ... yeah!

x