TDIClub Forums

TDIClub Forums (http://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php)
-   TDI News/Tech (http://forums.tdiclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Volkswagen exec reaffirms commitment to diesel: ‘Now it is absolutely clean’ (http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=501301)

oilhammer August 30th, 2019 07:02

This seriously just showed up this morning:

http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/500/med...7173483728.jpg

I cannot make this crap up, LMAO.... note the twine dangling off the bottom, too. A nice touch. :D

turbobrick240 August 30th, 2019 09:21

That reminds me of the '10 Corolla a buddy had. The front bumper cover was held on with duct tape until I classed it up for him with some pop rivets and zip ties. The sheet metal was so thin on that car that leaning up against it could induce dents. Nothing like the '90's yota pickups I used to own.

redbarron55 August 30th, 2019 10:33

The duck tape must be a local thing.
I don't see any down here in Florida and Alabama.
Not on Prii anyway.
The first time I R&Rd the battery it was a PITA but once you know your way around it's not so bad.
The Gen 1 Prius I had had no problems with 75 + but it was not a great touring car by any means.
Maybe cheap drivers have taken over the Prii and turned to Duct Tape.

turbobrick240 August 30th, 2019 10:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by redbarron55 (Post 5533093)
The duck tape must be a local thing.
I don't see any down here in Florida and Alabama..

Yeah, I suspect the Red Green Show doesn't get much air time down in Florida and Alabama. Just as well, the adhesive probably doesn't work so great in the heat. Not that it ever works that great. :D

imbrian August 31st, 2019 06:09

indiana is heavy in the duct and bailing wire....no inspection right? so ya go to the neighbor farmer and grab the wire first, then duct for aesthetics.

redbarron55 August 31st, 2019 15:27

The question when we were working on old crop dusters was how many layers of duck tape before you had to pull it off and re-tape...

Warthog September 2nd, 2019 07:48

In reference to the oilhammer-photo of the Toyota with the duct tape and twine: I''d guess they tried to hang a bicycle rack off the back and this is what happened.
Rather common thing I've noticed around here - Clemson SC...Plastic car bodies not meant to carry off-hung loads!
BTW, RED duct-tape IS available!

tikal September 3rd, 2019 10:44

I find it paradoxically interesting about the sensitive reaction of some posters in TDIClub to the possibility (albeit remote) that VW will bring back vehicles that on the average will do 40 MPG or better and comply with US/Canada regulations. What's wrong with that? Do we see the big picture that the majority of Americans continue to buy gas powered vehicles that cannot make even 20 MPG?

In my opinion the 'fight' between light duty diesel vehicles and EVs is a terrible false dichotomy and rather embarrassing to be happening at TDIClub :-(

kjclow September 3rd, 2019 10:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warthog (Post 5533577)
In reference to the oilhammer-photo of the Toyota with the duct tape and twine: I''d guess they tried to hang a bicycle rack off the back and this is what happened.
Rather common thing I've noticed around here - Clemson SC...Plastic car bodies not meant to carry off-hung loads!
BTW, RED duct-tape IS available!

Or the twine was a left over from when the rear hatch would latch. My dad always got a kick out of the neighbor that made a big deal out of being an electrical engineer. His method of fixing a broken taillight was red tinted tape. The bulb still worked, so he still had a brake light.

kjclow September 3rd, 2019 11:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by tikal (Post 5533823)
I find it paradoxically interesting about the sensitive reaction of some posters in TDIClub to the possibility (albeit remote) that VW will bring back vehicles that on the average will do 40 MPG or better and comply with US/Canada regulations. What's wrong with that? Do we see the big picture that the majority of Americans continue to buy gas powered vehicles that cannot make even 20 MPG?

In my opinion the 'fight' between light duty diesel vehicles and EVs is a terrible false dichotomy and rather embarrassing to be happening at TDIClub :-(

I have no issues with VW, or anyone else, bringing diesel vehicles back to our shores. As many on this thread and site have stated and I agree with, a small hatch or sedan are not the correct applications for the diesel. Put it in the SUVs. Add a hybrid component if that will help it sell better. I'd buy one if they also don't price it out of consideration.

BeetleGo September 3rd, 2019 13:10

The thing is, you will be able to buy an 8th gen Golf(etta) for some time to come, but gen 9 will be the ID. Golf, inc. is on the Tesla track. Diesel’s are dead in these sized cars and electric is what’s replacing it.
I know that I switched to diesel in large part because I liked the torque! Guess what, if I have to go to an automatic, make mine a one speed electric please! Preferably domestically made, with acceleration like a Porsche, safety like no other, and lack of rust - ever.

jmodge September 3rd, 2019 13:13

I was talking to a local shop owner today and he claimed the powers that be are debating getting rid of DEF. Apparently there are claims of it being more unhealthy than without, Cancer concerns

atc98002 September 3rd, 2019 13:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmodge (Post 5533857)
I was talking to a local shop owner today and he claimed the powers that be are debating getting rid of DEF. Apparently there are claims of it being more unhealthy than without, Cancer concerns

Unless they come up with a replacement fluid, that would mean the death of diesel completely. I don't think there's any way to meet emissions requirements for NOx without it. At least not with an engine that would be worth the TDI label.

BeetleGo September 3rd, 2019 14:41

If you own a pre-scandal TDI, drive it into the ground, then shop electric.

I’m trying to wait as long as possible. My TDI is in great shape under the covers, but some drunk smacked me good about 3 weeks ago, and ran. The rear wheel well, the rear door, the driver’s door, and the side view mirror all got side swiped, but since the car is otherwise completely reliable, and the doors and windows work, my car just got reclassified as an “urban beater” while I wait for the electric market to become more established. Maxwell batteries and induction chargers under parking spots are coming. Mercedes will off induction from the getgo.

I just hope I can wait!

jmodge September 3rd, 2019 16:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by atc98002 (Post 5533863)
Unless they come up with a replacement fluid, that would mean the death of diesel completely. I don't think there's any way to meet emissions requirements for NOx without it. At least not with an engine that would be worth the TDI label.

Can of worms either direction. It will be interesting to see how long technology stays affordable to the middle class. I still think I will see mass transit become the most viable mode of transportation in my lifetime


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:59.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright - TDIClub Online LTD - 2017

Page generated in 0.10610 seconds with 8 queries
[Output: 21.42 Kb. compressed to 20.59 Kb. by saving 0.84 Kb. (3.91%)]