TDIClub Forums

TDIClub Forums (http://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php)
-   VW B5 Passat TDIs (http://forums.tdiclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   BHW Balance Shaft Module replacement (http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=233651)

Scott_DeWitt January 14th, 2009 13:18

Does anyone mind posting part numbers?

aja8888 January 14th, 2009 13:21

http://www.worldimpex.com/images/spacer.gif

Scott: Here they are.

IMPEX SKU # 935619

BHW MODULE REPAIR KIT

Included In Kit
03G 103 295 Q – differential case with gears, shafts and oil pump
03G 105 212 C – replacement gear for crankshaft
03G 103 305 C – balance shaft drive gear
4- N 911 213 01 – bolts to attach balance shaft drive gear
5- N 106 014 02 – balance shaft bolts
N 910 512 01 – balance shaft bolt
N 911 234 01 – bolt for balance shaft front near drive gear
N 909 775 02 – bolt for balance shaft front near oil pump
038 103 085 E – crankshaft seal
045 105 229 – crankshaft pulley bolt
2 -N 908 897 01 – bearing cap bolts

Thanks,

Tony (and others)

Scott_DeWitt January 14th, 2009 13:26

Thanks I should get a quote back tomorrow.

Scott_DeWitt January 15th, 2009 05:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott_DeWitt
Thanks I should get a quote back tomorrow.

I've got a price from Europe, there are plenty there, and I can do an essentially at cost deal of $1225.00, with a 2 week delivery. I can get the parts in 2-3 days at a pretty large up charge. This price is heavily dependent upon the exchange rate so I can't guarantee pricing until funds are received.

vw4life January 15th, 2009 08:37

Group buy? I guess you are already at cost price...your prices include shipping?

Scott_DeWitt January 15th, 2009 09:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by vw4life
Group buy? I guess you are already at cost price...your prices include shipping?

If there is a quantity order I can negotiate with my vendor in Europe. but any additional discounts will have to come from them.

There will also be a bit of cost savings with shipping multiple units.

The price I mentioned above includes shipping from Europe, shipping to you guys would be additional.

sschnath January 15th, 2009 13:37

After giving the matter some additional consideration, I've decided not to have the BS work done proactively.

I'm at 195K miles now and the car will be 5 years old in June. I'm thinking/hoping that if I were going to have a problem in the BS area it would have surfaced by now and that the problems being seen now are limited to a specific lot or lots that I'm not a part of.

Also, while there are definitely problems in the field, we don't know yet how widespread this really is. I know there is another thread in this forum where we're attempting to gather that data but I don't know whether we'll ever be able to gather enough data to have a statistically valid population to draw conclusions from.

I know that all chains will eventually break but perhaps by the time mine lets go, I'll be ready to let go of the car. I had hoped to get 400K out of it and that may or may not happen but it's a goal, not a requirement. Should I end up with a broken part, I'd have to make the repair ROI determination at that time.

While it's possible this is a design defect, it's also possible that VW had already decided to make some improvements in the BS area due to manufacturing cost reduction goals or for future functionality but which have no functional impact on this particular engine. The current failures could just be a matter of coincidence. I work for a computer hardware manufacturer and I've seen stranger things happen.

Also, if VW knew there was going to be massive fallout from a known design defect, wouldn't they have positioned more parts in North America ahead of time to head off the inevitable complaints that would result from cars being out of service for extended periods due to part availability? Maybe I'm giving them too much credit.

I feel like if I spend the money now I'll just have that nagging suspicion that I spent the money unnecessarily. I know others would rather not have the nagging suspicion that they're driving an engine that could fail at any moment and I totally understand that. It's just that with the data that's available so far, the former suspicion is carrying more weight for me than the latter.

As this situation evolves my opinion may change. I just hope it's not due to first hand experience!

oilhammer January 15th, 2009 14:01

LMAO... :rolleyes:

dlai January 15th, 2009 14:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by oilhammer
LMAO... :rolleyes:

x2...

Lug_Nut January 15th, 2009 17:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by sschnath
I'm at 195K miles now and the car will be 5 years old in June.

At 200k you should be thinking about at least replacing the chain and tensioner anyway. I don't care if it's a cam chain on a small block Chevy, 200k miles is too close to 1/2 life. And this chain is no where near as robust as a sbc cam chain.
Each link has 8 pieces (1/2 link has 4). The chain is many links long. When just one of those pieces fail in this engine.....:eek:

I had a similar debate with myself, but I know chains wear and stretch. I know I'd be replacing it once, maybe twice while I expect to own this car. The labor of replacing a chain and tensioner or installing a geared drive is nearly a wash. The price difference between the chain parts and the geared module and parts is several hundred dollars, but it's a one time and done situation.
I weighed the options and after deliberation I'm in for the gear.

MOGolf January 15th, 2009 19:29

Quote:

While it's possible this is a design defect, it's also possible that VW had already decided to make some improvements in the BS area due to manufacturing cost reduction goals or for future functionality but which have no functional impact on this particular engine.

Not very likely. The engine is not in production anymore. No cost savings for an engine they don't produce. They designed and produced retrofit parts for every engine design they made with chain driven balance shaft modules. They don't all use the same parts, either. Obviously, this was a significant investment in engineering and manufacturing parts because they will all fail.

Quote:

Also, if VW knew there was going to be massive fallout from a known design defect, wouldn't they have positioned more parts in North America ahead of time to head off the inevitable complaints that would result from cars being out of service for extended periods due to part availability?

Quote:

Maybe I'm giving them too much credit.

Definitely too much credit.

20,000 units x $1000 (round numbers for est. parts costs, shipping and storing to them) = $20,000,000 in cost until somebody buys the parts. That's a significant number to invest in a market so insignficant to them (based on units sold).

abctdi January 16th, 2009 06:57

195k is definitely an outlier, consider yourself lucky.
You should probably do something besides nothing at the next TB interval, sschnath.

blaz January 17th, 2009 19:13

Is there any way this thread can be made a sticky?

MoGolf's first post in this thread, at least, should be readily available without having to use the search function.

aja8888 January 19th, 2009 15:09

Has ANYBODY actually recieved the balance shaft kit set up from World Impex yet? I have had one on order since the 6th of the month with two ship promise dates, both of which were unfulfilled. Now Impex tells me in an e-mail that they ask *daily* with WVOA and only pass along what they are told, which is not told to me.

Is this a mistake to order with Impex seeing they CHARGED may credit card for the $1300+ the day I placed the order?:mad:

Personally, I have a feeling that Impex has no clue when this stuff will show up.

Lug_Nut January 19th, 2009 16:56

I was kind'a hoping O-H would do the same, hit my card for the parts this month and the labor and incidentals next, just to spread out the pain.
That, and by me paying for parts now, they're mine and not to be sold to another before I get there.
Whatever... Only a few more weeks to bite my nails in trepidation.