BHW Balance Shaft Module replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
This thread is only for this topic. If you want to post about your car makng noises, see the links to other threads below and post in one of them.

As we learned from bad experiences, the BHW engine was equipped with at the factory with a chain driven balance shaft module. Chains and tensioners break, teeth strip off the sprockets, and nasty things happen to the engine.

VW obviously learned of this prone-to-failure design. Every engine they have with this design outside of North America got gear-driven balance shaft module replacements (not recalled, just replacement in the parts catalog and system). Finally they made one for the North American market BHW engine.

They issued a technical document to notify dealership shops of the replacement. However, they have not (as of this writing) actually made the information available via eBahn (the site they point to for everyone else to get repair info). The technical document merely states to refer to the repair manual for installation instructions. As of this writing, I am not aware that the information is actually there for North American VW repair technicians (I'm not one so I can't personally verify).

Oilhammer, who works at www.cardocautomotive.com, was alerted to the replacement parts, and less-than-helpful bulletin. I was able to track down the repair procedure published elsewhere in the world. That procedure was lacking in some steps.

We obtained the necessary parts, and together we installed them on my 2004 Passat Variant. The document link below provides a PDF with the repair procedure.

It is a supplement to other repair procedures that need to be followed as a part of the balance shaft module replacement. The other procedures are documented in the repair manual for the Passats. These include removing the front bumper cover, putting the lock carrier in service position or removing entirely, suspending the engine, timing belt replacement, and manipulating the subframe. This document does describe the necessary steps to take for loosening the subframe enough to remove the oil pan.

Read through the procedure. If you do not understand it, or do not have the other repair information, we do NOT recommend that you undertake the procedure. Failure to reassemble the car correctly can lead to poor handling which might lead to an accident. Failure to correctly reassemble the engine could also lead to a catastrophic failure.

You have been warned. You take on all responsibility for following this procedure, and all consequences of working on your car.

Having written that, I have to say I am very pleased with the outcome. My engine was making a lot of noise. It had very noticeable chain noise, though nothing terribly wrong was found on disassembly. The engine has virtually no lower engine noise after the surgery. I don't have to worry about imminent chain failure.

Refer to the following threads for further information about balance shaft issues:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=223941
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=202297

I may revise the document at any time. Please get a fresh copy before undertaking the repair on any vehicle.

This procedure can be followed as a guideline for the other engines of the world that got this replacement design. However the parts vary depending on the engine. Vehicle disassembly/reassembly may also vary.

BHW Balance Shaft Module Replacement Procedure PDF

This document is a fairly large size (1377.8kb).

Edit to add:
World IMPEX has put together a kit price of the parts for those of you who are unable to get to oilhammer for help.
Geared Balance shaft module kit

www.advancedautomotion.com can supply parts too.

Bora Parts offers kits.

I have no association with these companies.

Last edited:

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
ooo now I gotta go for another ride in your wagon to hear the difference

nice writeup Glen/Brian!

auntulna

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS Passat wagon, mit panzer plate
Those of us with mortal mechanical skills are humbled by your collective tour de force in figuring this problem out, finding the corrective parts, and replacing them. Needless to say, I won't be doin' the fixin' around here Bobalouie! I will be in touch for eventual scheduling for the grand overhaul.

DeliveryValve

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat GLS Wagon
Great procedure and write up MOGolf and oilhammer! Big THANK YOU!

I dig the specialized tools: :D
SST MOTOOL-GHOOO1
SST OHTOOL-BJOOO1
SST MOTOOL-GHOOO2
SST OHTOOL-BJOOO2

Question: I am not clear on the procedure of installing the new gear on the crank. Does the heated gear expand enough to freely slide on with your hands? Or do you need to tap it in place with the suggested seal installer?
Also, was there a particular orientation the gear is installed? Or you just choose any position and lock it in?

Last edited:

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
Yes you bake the gear like cookies. On the middle rack to ensure even heating. VW's procedure says to use a "commerically available hotplate". I prefer the oven. A hotplate will heat one side more than the other.

The gear slid right on with my gloved hands. The seal installer is just there to hold it with even pressure all around while it cools. You don't want it cooling at an angle.

No orientation for the gear. It is round ;) and not keyed. The procedure for pressing the intermediate gear into place ensures that all the teeth mesh correctly.

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
maktas said:
MoGolf,

You didn't make mention of the hex shaft. Did you do anything to it?
I suspect that because of the geared setup there will be less lash pulsing due to the better integrity of the geared vs the chain setup.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
We removed the hex shaft, found it labeled with the 'D' part number. I put it back in. Now we can find out how well this holds up over time. There is no written track record of geared balance shaft modules and the hex shaft oil pump drive that I can find.

The old BS module had an unlabeled hex shaft. No A and no D. No VW nor Audi symbols either.

maktas

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI
MOGolf said:
We removed the hex shaft, found it labeled with the 'D' part number. I put it back in. Now we can find out how well this holds up over time. There is no written track record of geared balance shaft modules and the hex shaft oil pump drive that I can find.

The old BS module had an unlabeled hex shaft. No A and no D. No VW nor Audi symbols either.
So that I understand, the new BS asm comes with a new hex shaft? Or did you use the old one? It is interesting you mentioned the noise was eliminated, does this mean the hex shaft has minimal impact on the noise issue?

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
We used the new hex shaft that came with the new module. The module includes a new oil pump, hex shaft, balance shafts, bearings for shafts, intermediate gear, thrust washers for the gear, and gear bolt.

To my ears, the noises from my car were coming from the chain drive.

maktas

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI
MOGolf said:
We used the new hex shaft that came with the new module. The module includes a new oil pump, hex shaft, balance shafts, bearings for shafts, intermediate gear, thrust washers for the gear, and gear bolt.

To my ears, the noises from my car were coming from the chain drive.
Ok.. I see, thanks!

I hope VW issues an officiall TSB soon... I want to use my extended warranty before it runs out. I also wonder if extended warranty work can be done by non-VW dealer shops?

maktas

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI
senez said:
The baking part is what gets me.

What? Like cookies? ;)
Yes, its gone past what is called a "mechanical fit" to a "atomic fit". VW designed the tolerance to be slightly undersized according to the material's thermal expansion coefficient. Once the critical temp is reached, the gear slips on and when it cools, it is as good as welded on. There is nothing like atomic bond forces to hold something together.

KALaBenne

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 B5.5V GLS
maktas said:
Once the critical temp is reached, the gear slips on and when it cools, it is as good as welded on.
So I'm assuming the critical (installation) temperature is far above what would be experienced in a normal warmed-up engine?

edit: I read the PDF and I sure hope my engine never gets up to 350F

Thanks for all the hard work MoGolf and oilhammer!!

Last edited:

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
KALaBenne said:
So I'm assuming the critical (installation) temperature is far above what would be experienced in a normal warmed-up engine?

edit: I read the PDF and I sure hope my engine never gets up to 350F

Thanks for all the hard work MoGolf and oilhammer!!
Well, if your engine did heat up to 350F, both the shaft and the gear would too. There would be no loosening of the gear on the shaft then.:) However, other not-so-nice things would become of interest at that temperature!;)

samspock

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat, 2005, Shadow Blue
Wow, that's a nice writeup. After reading it I almost feel like I could do this myself. Good thing I know better. I like my car, I want to keep it.

engineerorange

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta
This is a thing of pure beauty. I am glad it's only 6 hours to oilhammer for me. Only at 55k miles now, and no noise yet. But this will be done no later than 80k on our passat.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
engineerorange said:
This is a thing of pure beauty. I am glad it's only 6 hours to oilhammer for me. Only at 55k miles now, and no noise yet. But this will be done no later than 80k on our passat.
Mine has *noise* at 54K. My friend's 2005 TDI Passat wagon in Connecticut has *noise* at 31K. This is all over the park with respect to chain/tensioner wear and noise.

abctdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat GLS
maktas said:
So that I understand, the new BS asm comes with a new hex shaft? Or did you use the old one? It is interesting you mentioned the noise was eliminated, does this mean the hex shaft has minimal impact on the noise issue?
I would think that a gear system would 'preload' the hexshaft against its hexhole and eliminate any motion that could cause a strange noise.

TDI
2005 Passat TDI (Everything But the Oil Pump)
auntulna said:
Those of us with mortal mechanical skills are humbled by your collective tour de force in figuring this problem out, finding the corrective parts, and replacing them. Needless to say, I won't be doin' the fixin' around here Bobalouie! I will be in touch for eventual scheduling for the grand overhaul.
Brian and Glen. You two are truly tdi warriors. Hats off to you. I'll be making the trip to St. Louis soon.
Thanks so much for the peace of mind.
Rock on!:D

EJS

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
GreasedLightnin said:
Brian and Glen. You two are truly tdi warriors. Hats off to you.
Ditto - thanks so much for all the time & effort you guys put into this.

On the upside it would seem I have some of the tools required to do the job (MOTOOL-GH0002, OHTOOL-BJ0002, & OHTOOL-BJ0001)
- who'd a thunk.

Last edited:

Skivvies

TDI
2000 Golf, 2004 Passat Wagon
MOGolf and OH, thanks for the initiative, dedication, and generosity in trying this setup and supplying us with these instructions.
Just as a heads up to those that will be purchasing the parts, I just placed an order for those parts listed in the procedure. For the big ticket balance shaft module, 22 are on order and should be sent from the manufacturer mid-January. 6 of these are spoken for as of yesterday. I don't know if this is fact, but this is what I was told by the VW parts dept.

outthere

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 B5 Northern Green wagon
Has anyone considered the following idea?

Find 6 B5 owners in your area. Buy 6 BS modules. Rent a shop for a weekend. Fly in OH/MOGolf for a weekend GTG and split/share costs.

It seems like it would be easier to fly them in and work on 6 cars at once than to have 6 cars drive a couple thousand miles RT for a repair.

I like my car and dont think its unreasonable to sink 2500-3000 bucks into a car that will make it last another 5 or more years. I'm not sure I can explain a 1700 mile road trip from MD to St. Louis though.

Smokerr

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat Wagon GL,2005,Silver
MOGolf and Oilhammer I can only say, my deepest admiration (and I don't give that out to anyone hardly ever).

I have now written NHTSA (two now) and VW of A (the CEO) letters as well as one to my congresswoman.

I would urge all others to do the same.

If we can't hep them with the immediate fight we can support them in other ways.

One thing I suggested is that if we have to have the timing belt done at 80k in order to change out the OP and BS, then they prorate that.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.