TDIClub Forums

TDIClub Forums (http://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php)
-   VW B5 Passat TDIs (http://forums.tdiclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   BHW Balance Shaft Module replacement (http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=233651)

DickSilver August 25th, 2009 05:51

113K miles is very young for a TDI. That is, once the unreliable bits have been exorcised!!

volkswagendude August 26th, 2009 21:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by PlaneCrazy
In my garage is our swimming pool pump and filter. I went out to get fuel for it tonight as I'm going on a road trip with it tomorrow and am leaving at 5 am. When I got back I thought that I might like to stand next to it and admire its idle for a few moments.

Waste of time. I could not hear the engine over the din of the pool pump :p

That's a first since the car was almost new.

I now think this car will outlast our B6 2.0T even though the latter only has half the mileage on it (60k miles vs. 113k miles)

Truly inspiring :cool:

To those who used to question the failure rate % as being to low(like myself in the past previous threads), there is also the other side of the story, of how the differences in engine sound has been VERY WELL DOCUMENTED here now by you and others in the past, as to how different and quiet it sounds with the new gear design. Peace of mind and excitement right there :cool:

I might have mine done after all!

oilhammer August 27th, 2009 04:13

Got one towed in yesterday....180k miles. Man you should hear this thing :eek: .

Guy was too scared to drive it in from Des Plaines, Il. I now know why. Sheesh. Ever accidentally knock a stone into a chipper-shredder? :(

owr084 August 27th, 2009 04:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by oilhammer
Got one towed in yesterday....180k miles. Man you should hear this thing :eek: .

Guy was too scared to drive it in from Des Plaines, Il. I now know why. Sheesh. Ever accidentally knock a stone into a chipper-shredder? :(

Autopsy and pictures to follow?

oilhammer August 27th, 2009 08:27

Tensioner broken in 4 pieces. I believe this car was in its final stages of tooef. They were wise to tow it here. I doubt it would have made it.

This is the worst I have seen that was still able to turn the shafts and oil pump. I gotta start wearing a welmet and safety glasses when I remove the oil pans on these things...chunks hit my face once again. :o

http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/500/med...Wchain_003.jpg

maktas August 27th, 2009 08:48

Quote:

Tensioner broken in 4 pieces. I believe this car was in its final stages of tooef. They were wise to tow it here. I doubt it would have made it.

This is the worst I have seen that was still able to turn the shafts and oil pump. I gotta start wearing a welmet and safety glasses when I remove the oil pans on these things...chunks hit my face once again. :o

http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/500/med...Wchain_003.jpg

OH,

It would be great to have a photo/video documententary on this one..... I am still of the opinion in the event of a class action law suit, it may come in handy :)

Or at the very least, send it to Jacoby's email :p , call it "the result of german engineering".....

oilhammer August 27th, 2009 08:49

Hehe, maybe at 'fest I can talk to some of these people. :D

leicaman August 27th, 2009 11:24

Everyone who has monster miles on their B5.5 TDIs I pm or of whom I get PMs from asking about the BS situation, without exception I advise having it towed if it is much beyond 70k. It just seems much past 70k it can become a time bomb depending on how it was driven in that time. It seems highway cars can tolerate waiting longer than cars that are used to tons of starts and stops.

I know that some of you such as BadgerFan drove his all the way to OH with nearly 100k on the clock. That car with 180k sure sounded like it was nearing its fatal moments! Whew! There is one lucky owner....and smart because he had the most experienced BS changover expert work on it.

abctdi August 27th, 2009 12:11

180k ain't bad...I'm just sayin'

TDIJetta99 August 27th, 2009 13:16

I had one in here yesterday with 79k and the only way I can describe it was it sounded like a supercharger's belt whine.. It was really bad.. it's as quiet as a church mouse now after the upgrade.. Weird thing was everything looked fine when I pulled the oil pan down, no excessive wear or anything.. Kinda looked just like all the others, but 3X louder.. I was half expecting broken parts to ambush me when I pulled the pan down..

oilhammer August 27th, 2009 13:29

Yeah, it's weird...some noisier than others, some parts "look" fine, some "look" bad, and some are in pieces... go figure.

One thing in common: they ALL had the stupid chain. :(

TheTDIGuy August 27th, 2009 18:59

Quote:

Yeah, it's weird...some noisier than others, some parts "look" fine, some "look" bad, and some are in pieces... go figure.

One thing in common: they ALL had the stupid chain. :(

Maybe you should bring all the broken/worn/replaced modules to TDI fest for all to see on display? Make us a nice sign that draws attention to the issue, and make sure that all of us who can make it are there. Also a good idea - in my opinion - to point out all the entries in the NHTSA list.

Finally, if we could only get a TV station involved to show how VW is ignoring the problem, and there is a potential for someone to really get hurt or killed in an accident due to a chain failure, well, I think a recall would quickly materialize.

Shouldn't be hard to get an email/letter into a local Virginia/DC TV station to cover the story...

We may not get a chance like this ever again - TDI fest right next to VW HQ, and right when the balance shaft issue is really getting ready to explode (no pun intended).

Thoughts?

Not to be too dramatic here, but we COULD be saving a life if we can push VW hard enough to do something about this issue. There are thousands of owners out there who have no idea about TDIClub, and drive their kids around every day in their ticking time-bombs.

Maybe we put all our cars together with signs on them that say, "time-bomb - just ask VW why". I really feel that together we can get this resolved once and for all. One-by-one calls to VW customer service just isn't going to cut it.

maktas August 27th, 2009 19:42

Yes... OH should haul in all of the old BS modules and dump them next to Jacoby's office, on the lawn.....

maktas August 27th, 2009 19:45

Quote:

Hmmm mparker says there is no flaw....hmmm.... maybe he should take a good long look at this mess :D

leicaman August 27th, 2009 19:51

Quote:

Hehe, maybe at 'fest I can talk to some of these people. :D

I'd make prints of some of the carnage, just to have along in a folder or photo album. Of course you could take your truckful of fail along for further proof! ;)