TDIClub Forums

TDIClub Forums (http://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php)
-   VW B5 Passat TDIs (http://forums.tdiclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   BHW Balance Shaft Module replacement (http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=233651)

engineerorange August 18th, 2009 08:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by aja8888
FWIW: Get the alternator pulley changed while OH has it apart. My alternator failed at 71K.

Already in the plan, as well as the transmission fluid change, the glow plugs and the engine mounts if it needs them. I am big proponent of doing it all while it's apart. I like to call it "pre-emptive maintenance"

PlaneCrazy August 18th, 2009 12:06

Here's one poor stiff who had his chain fail, over on Vortex. I steered him in the right direction (I'm "oralabora" on Vortex).

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=4507838

$4100 to fix. He must be pi$$ed.

VW can't say they aren't aware. It was fixed at the dealer, as is mine.

Passat-powerstroke August 19th, 2009 14:19

Done Deal!
Well I got the referances I was looking for! St Louis here I come! Go Cubs,eh?
U-haul dolley is lined up and Im leaving for St Louis on Wed. to get surgery on Thurs.

Thanks to all that responded and especially Passat 2004 for putting this bug in my ear a long time ago.
I know I should frequent this place more.
I will

Tim

oilhammer August 19th, 2009 14:53

See you soon. :)

Another one done today...another one in tomorrow.

The one today had an interesting problem. The o-ring on the charge air pipe was blown out, and it had been spewing oil all over for what looked to be many, many miles/months (years?). It had to been doing it since the car was fairly new, because under all the oil filth all the metal parts were like brand new on just that side of the car. The other side had the usual salty Ohio road crusty stuff all over. :cool:

leicaman August 19th, 2009 16:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Passat-powerstroke
Done Deal!
Well I got the referances I was looking for! St Louis here I come! Go Cubs,eh?
U-haul dolley is lined up and Im leaving for St Louis on Wed. to get surgery on Thurs.

Thanks to all that responded and especially Passat 2004 for putting this bug in my ear a long time ago.
I know I should frequent this place more.
I will

Tim

I am glad you are able to have it fixed before you have a blown motor! My best to you and your car! ;)

rjr311 August 23rd, 2009 13:10

How to determine issue

Wonder if an spectrum analyzer could pick up the issue ?

leicaman August 23rd, 2009 13:50

Probably could, but you'd have to have samples from a fixed B5.5 motor. You'd need that to get a sampling that shows what a repaired motor is at. I think in this instance the best is to keep out a keen ear and update when you no longer want to gamble.

PlaneCrazy August 23rd, 2009 15:39

A spectrum analyzer would definitely help. You'd need to compare chain new, chain worn, and chainless. The first one, a chained BHW new, is impossible to find now.

But trust me, the Auricular Spectrum Analyzer Mk I, can clearly hear the difference between a chained and non-chained motor!!! I was skeptical at first until my motor was done.

leicaman August 23rd, 2009 16:29

Trust me the leicaman ears, slightly worn, could hear the difference even on a 57k motor! It plain and simple is not a good design.

PlaneCrazy August 24th, 2009 05:33

Well, a case in point. This morning I am working from my front porch with my laptop (I usually work from home). I thought "I'll make sure I'm out here when Julie goes to work so I can hear the car after the BS repair". We have a long driveway. I wasn't paying attention and I didn't even hear her go down the driveway. I only heard her as she accelerated down the road and only then mostly the sound of the wheels crunching against gravel as it's a dirt road.

I could barely hear the engine. It's quieter than the neighbour's two Jetta 1.9 TDIs (both ALHs).

I've been turned into a BS conversion evangelist :D

oilhammer August 24th, 2009 05:34

After I did ours, the garage door opener is now enough to drown out the sound of the engine. :p

passatpete August 24th, 2009 11:58

oilhammer,
Who much does the BS chain replacement cost, and how long do you have the vehicle in your shop? I assume that a TB replacement is done at the same time? I am thinking about stopping in to see you on a cross country trip next spring. Mine is a 2005 TDI with the BHW engine, currently at 38K.

oilhammer August 24th, 2009 12:01

The cost of the upgrade, with the timing belt and related parts, is a little over $2900. Many people also get (as prevention OR sometimes they are in fact showing signs of failure) the engine mounts and the alternator pulley. Most everyone also has me flush the ATF while it is here, since I have the lines loose anyways and I have the equipment to do so.

I will only need the car for one day.

passatpete August 24th, 2009 12:03

wow quick response, I will contact you as the time gets closer.

PlaneCrazy August 24th, 2009 18:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by oilhammer
After I did ours, the garage door opener is now enough to drown out the sound of the engine. :p

In my garage is our swimming pool pump and filter. I went out to get fuel for it tonight as I'm going on a road trip with it tomorrow and am leaving at 5 am. When I got back I thought that I might like to stand next to it and admire its idle for a few moments.

Waste of time. I could not hear the engine over the din of the pool pump :p

That's a first since the car was almost new.

I now think this car will outlast our B6 2.0T even though the latter only has half the mileage on it (60k miles vs. 113k miles)