TDIClub Forums

TDIClub Forums (http://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php)
-   VW B5 Passat TDIs (http://forums.tdiclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   BHW Balance Shaft Module replacement (http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=233651)

BleachedBora July 31st, 2009 12:19

I'm in the process of tracking down all my customers that have bought kits to rectify the issue. At least two kits I know are bad, if any of you see this before I get a hold of you please check your parts and give me a call. Needless to say the phone is ringing off the hook and I'm sorting out replacements with my dealer. They said they'd order two more kits up and have them here Monday, I told them to get 8 as I don't want to have two more bad ones show up! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Gotta love this; and yes, we're seeing that all the bad ones have had the bags torn open already...

Anyway, we'll get this taken care of, sorry for the hassles...
-BB

eyeguy July 31st, 2009 14:09

Aaron, any chance you think this can be tracked back to a particular source?

BleachedBora July 31st, 2009 15:21

Doubt it, it appears that it happened in Germany. They were then sent to VW-North America. Oilhammers bad one came from the VW Chicago warehouse, all my bad ones came from LA. I rushed in a bunch from the NJ and (IIRC) Wisconsin warehouses...we'll see on Monday/Tuesday when the 8 replacements arrive...

Kinda sucks for all involved, this has taken 2-days to sort out on my end; never a fun experience.
-BB

Scott_DeWitt July 31st, 2009 16:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by oilhammer
Just an alert to anyone reading:

there have been several of the old 'A' suffix BS modules sent through the VW system that are in the new 'Q' suffix labeled boxes. Bleached Bora got a couple, and I just found out I have one here :( .

So any people getting these, selling, working on, etc. please open up and check to make sure the correct BS module is in the box! The old one has no idler gear on it, the new one does.

Thanks Oil Hammer, is must be a USA stock problem, as the 4 units I received and shipped out a few days ago direct from Volkswagen Germany all were the correct part number. I was told by my dealer that all parts entering the USA through normal sea freight goes through the New Jersey warehouse and gets distributed to the other warehouses in the country. I've got to pick up 10 more to fill back orders but I'll make sure they are the correct part numbers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by oilhammer
No, the whole assembly is wrong. There are apperently some of the old defunct chain driven BS modules in Germany finding their way into boxes. :cool:

There were a stash of BS modules in Volkswagen's obsolescence program some time ago. I wonder if somehow they made it into the distribution network?

Quote:

Originally Posted by leicaman
So now you have to order an idler gear, right? That sounds like a pain.

For the visually inclined BleachedBora has an 'A' Unit pictured on his and I have a 'Q' unit. The 'A' unit has a cast part number of 03G103537A and the latest unit has a 03G103537B cast into it. And the front idler gear is not present.
on the 'A'.

Older chain driven assembly:
https://www.boraparts.com/images/BHW...eplacement.jpg

Updated gear driven assembly.

http://www.advancedautomotion.com/im...20BS%20Mod.JPG

deming August 2nd, 2009 20:03

VW Recall letter on Glow Plug replacement

I just received 2 letters from VW concerning the Reflash and Glow plug replacement in our 2 passat tdi wagons.

Emissions Service Action 28E6/R8

Do I even consider trusting a VW dealer to do this work?

Any VW dealers in IL/IA or WI that can do this without screwing up a cyl head? My understanding is that the ceramic glow plugs can break easily.

Do I wait for Oil Hammer to to the Bal Shaft Gear Drive update?

My nearest dealer is Lujack VW in Davenport IA.

Thanks
Deming

volkswagendude August 2nd, 2009 20:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by deming
I just received 2 letters from VW concerning the Reflash and Glow plug replacement in our 2 passat tdi wagons.

Emissions Service Action 28E6/R8

Do I even consider trusting a VW dealer to do this work?

Any VW dealers in IL/IA or WI that can do this without screwing up a cyl head? My understanding is that the ceramic glow plugs can break easily.

Do I wait for Oil Hammer to to the Bal Shaft Gear Drive update?

My nearest dealer is Lujack VW in Davenport IA.

Thanks
Deming

I'll say something stupid out of sheer frustration, but maybe we should have some of the inept dealers do the glow plugs, HOPE that it does break off rendering the engine useless, as they do the initial quick check, startup routine, and then having them reimburse you with a new engine, that WILL HAVE the GEARED version of the BS, oil pump shbang! :p ;) :cool: :D :rolleyes:

aja8888 August 2nd, 2009 21:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by volkswagendude
I'll say something stupid out of sheer frustration, but maybe we should have some of the inept dealers do the glow plugs, HOPE that it does break off rendering the engine useless, as they do the initial quick check, startup routine, and then having them reimburse you with a new engine, that WILL HAVE the GEARED version of the BS, oil pump shbang! :p ;) :cool: :D :rolleyes:

I visualize them NOT knowing the broken GP tip is a problem, handing you the car and waving good bye (60 ft., 60 seconds and it's all yours!).:p .

THM3362 August 2nd, 2009 21:34

I recently had the 28E6/R8 done at the Autobarn of Mt. Prospect. It was explained to me not all 2005 TDI Passats had ceramic glowplugs installed at the factory. Some had already had the steel ones installed, however all Jettas and Golfs would need the changeover. If I would have known this earlier I would have elected not to have my ECM updated with VAG software which overwritten the RC1+ source code. The download reflash stop in the middle and would not complete. A new ECM and extra DIAG time was authorized by VAG. The Passat seem to run smoother, but I miss the boost of acceleration provided by Jeff's source code and hope to have this retify at the TDIfest. If you want to preserve your RC source code, have the technician tell you first if the steel glow plugs are present in your vehicle and waive the reflash.

dlai August 2nd, 2009 21:47

THM, this thread is supposed to be for discussion of the balance shaft module replacement, not the glow plug campaign letter. In relation to your post, whoever you spoke to about some Passats coming with steel glow plugs is dead wrong. The first that we all had notice of steel glow plugs being present is by MoGolf in November of last year in this thread: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=230287

How can a car that was last made in 2005 come with steel glow plugs first made available in 2008? Impossible. You were given wrong info...

oilhammer August 3rd, 2009 05:00

Wrong info? From a VW dealer? UNPOSSIBLE!!! ;)

senez August 4th, 2009 09:05

Will the old gear assembly still bolt up and operate as if nothing is wrong? What I mean is...could someone still install this older module and the car still operate?

And if so, what kind of damage are we talking?

Scott_DeWitt August 4th, 2009 09:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by senez
Will the old gear assembly still bolt up and operate as if nothing is wrong? What I mean is...could someone still install this older module and the car still operate?

The old assembly is chain driven. The new assembly is gear driven.

senez August 4th, 2009 09:15

Oh, dur. I've been sleep-deprived for about a week now. Jeez. I thought for some reason there was an outdated iteration of the gear-driven assembly. Just...ignore me.

compu_85 August 6th, 2009 07:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by senez

You could do this, but then you'd have to re-replace it again when it wears out. Lots of $$ wasted in parts and time.

-Jason

oilhammer August 6th, 2009 08:08

The problem with this method is that you are still faced with the worn sprocket on the crankshaft. And I have a car here right now I replaced the old chain/etc. on only 40k miles ago, and it is already getting pretty noisy. :(

And before you ask, no you cannot replace the old chain drive sprocket on the crankshaft...it is not available as a seperate part on ANY of the VAG engines. It is part of the crankshaft itself.