TDIClub Forums

TDIClub Forums (http://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php)
-   VW B5 Passat TDIs (http://forums.tdiclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   BHW Balance Shaft Module replacement (http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=233651)

Lug_Nut July 28th, 2009 05:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by oilhammer
That is why if you squeeze the tensioner back in, oil spits out the back side...which most recently went straight into the FACE of an extended warranty adjuster who was 'examining' broken parts on one (like he really knew what he was looking at :rolleyes: ).

There IS justice in this world!:p

These are the same degree of experts that would blow into a carburetor fuel bowl?

Jay3203VW July 30th, 2009 05:06

Hello all.. I'm new to the board as I've recently bought b5.5 wagon. I felt it was a good purchase as it has 40K on the clock and is dent and scratch free.

I've been an active reader of these posts and been trying to stay up on all the latest news and issues with these cars. The car had a sound documented service history from a VW dealer, however when I purchased it I did basic maintenance myself. Fuel & air Filter, changed and used spec oil etc... I have an appointment tomorrow to have the recall completed regarding the glow pugs.

So, my next questions is more for Oilhammer. I'm looking to take a trip to San Antonio Texas, from MD in November that week of Thanksgiving. I was going to stop through on that Mon or Tuesday to see if I could have this BS shaft issue taken care of. If that is possible, let me know and I'll schedule an appointment. If not, that is fine too however do you happen to know of anyone who is familiar with this replacement here on the East Coast?

oilhammer July 30th, 2009 05:23

Just give us a call and make an appointment. Debbie our receptionist can get your information and place you on the schedule.

leicaman July 30th, 2009 06:35

Quote:

It has an oil pressure fed piston that tensions the chain, just like every other chain tensioner I have ever seen. The spring is just an assist to keep pretension on the shoe during times when oil pressure is not present (like during start-up, etc.).

That is why if you squeeze the tensioner back in, oil spits out the back side...which most recently went straight into the FACE of an extended warranty adjuster who was 'examining' broken parts on one (like he really knew what he was looking at :rolleyes: ).

That is so funny. I bet that the entire TDIclub B5.5 owner community knows more intricate details on this motor than any "adjuster".

oilhammer July 30th, 2009 09:58

Just an alert to anyone reading:

there have been several of the old 'A' suffix BS modules sent through the VW system that are in the new 'Q' suffix labeled boxes. Bleached Bora got a couple, and I just found out I have one here :( .

So any people getting these, selling, working on, etc. please open up and check to make sure the correct BS module is in the box! The old one has no idler gear on it, the new one does.

leicaman July 30th, 2009 09:59

So now you have to order an idler gear, right? That sounds like a pain.

oilhammer July 30th, 2009 10:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by leicaman
So now you have to order an idler gear, right? That sounds like a pain.

No, the whole assembly is wrong. There are apperently some of the old defunct chain driven BS modules in Germany finding their way into boxes. :cool:

leicaman July 30th, 2009 10:21

Oh that really sucks. I bet VW is sitting on a warehousefull of these buggers. Hey and it is THEIR fault for making the chain driven POC in the first place.

oilhammer July 30th, 2009 10:46

Well, my dealer also has another mis-boxed one. And they all appear to have been opened, the plastic bag inside tore open, and then taped up. I suspect a VW parts warehouse worker may have found a stash of the old ones, seen the need for the new ones, and exploited the issue. :mad:

maktas July 30th, 2009 11:06

OH,

What are you seeing these days in terms of chain failures coming into your shop?

oilhammer July 30th, 2009 11:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by maktas
OH,

What are you seeing these days in terms of chain failures coming into your shop?

One last week, one the second one this week, and 2 more scheduled next week. These are all prevention, no failures, but so far they have all had lots of noise and vibration as usual. It has been about 3 weeks since the last one I had in with a broken tensioner... I think that makes 8 now that were broken. With only Lug Nut's being one that made it past 100k miles and came apart with a broken tensioner but still running.

So I am up to around 55 of these I have done, with 8 having broken tensioners and 2 broken completely apart and one broken apart and repaired and needing to be untooefed by me. So, 11 out of 55.... that is what, 20% failure (broken parts) rate, and still a 100% NVH Fail rate. :p

The best was still the one that fell apart in pieces on my head as I lowered the oil pan. :D

maktas July 30th, 2009 11:55

Quote:

The best was still the one that fell apart in pieces on my head as I lowered the oil pan. :D

Nice.... that would have been a good video to send to Herr. Jacoby

aja8888 July 30th, 2009 12:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by maktas
Nice.... that would have been a good video to send to Herr. Jacoby

Yes, it would have been, but, these CEO's only are interested in numbers; numbers being those on balance sheets, income statements and sales forecasts...and,oh, numbers on their bonus checks!;)

maktas July 30th, 2009 13:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by aja8888
Yes, it would have been, but, these CEO's only are interested in numbers; numbers being those on balance sheets, income statements and sales forecasts...and,oh, numbers on their bonus checks!;)

That's why the japanese business model is better, because they have figured out if you build a good product, satisfy the customer, the numbers will automatically come in good. Why do you think the germans are at the bottom of the quality rating list?? "german engineering" only goes so far as a slogan... if "german engineering" produced a crap BS module design, then I don't see it being a good marketing tool.

VW has lost at least one customer because of this fiasco because they did not take responsibility by NOT launching a FULL recall LIKE A MAN!!... instead they quietly released a new geared design, completely making the old chain design obsolete from their parts system hoping no one would notice.... including their clueless, incompetent, pathetic stealership network.

The $3000+ dumped on this BS module should have been used for long term maintenence of this car and to top it off, we ultimately don't know if the PD's will be as successful as the VE's were in terms of longevity.

And if we want to talk numbers, buying an over priced "german car", then dumping another $3000 in less than 4 years doesn't make much sense as an investment... the fuel savings quickly becomes irrelevent, and I assure you this will haunt Jacoby and VWAG as they try to sell their V6 TDIs laden with chains!! (and all future TDI's for that matter)

eyeguy July 30th, 2009 13:44

Quote:

Just an alert to anyone reading:

there have been several of the old 'A' suffix BS modules sent through the VW system that are in the new 'Q' suffix labeled boxes. Bleached Bora got a couple, and I just found out I have one here :( .

Crap!!! I got an 'A' instead of a 'Q' as well. I've got 3 weeks until I need it, so I got lucky as long as I can get another one in time.