TDIClub Forums

TDIClub Forums (http://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php)
-   VW B5 Passat TDIs (http://forums.tdiclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   BHW Balance Shaft Module replacement (http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=233651)

maktas February 17th, 2009 10:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by aja8888
Got a call from Steve Glover (mtbr297) in Fort Worth a while ago. My Passat BS chain drive has been replaced with the helical gearing upgrade and the car is purring like a kitten. ;) He did a TB 100K kit and trans service also.

I'll be picking it up later this week as I have a short business trip to make Monday (Louisiana). I will post pictures of any parts that have significant damage or wear.

Edit to add pic:

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g1...8/NewGears.jpg

Tony

This is a very nice pic of the module upgrade....

Technical question to MOgolf or Oilhammer;

How do you ensure the proper tooth mating of the large gear on the crankshaft to the first gear on the BS Module? I would think that the tolerances are pretty important at that interface and you are at the mercy of the stack-up from the BS module to the block.

oilhammer February 17th, 2009 10:18

It pushes in sideways, then gets tightened down. Then the coating on the idler gear wears away, setting the correct tolerance.

MOGolf February 17th, 2009 16:13

The crankshaft is locked at TDC.
The intermediate gear is loose, but meshed with the other gears.
The BS gear starts at locked position, but the lock is removed.
Then one pushs on the intermediate gear very firmly into that gap between the crank and BS gears. While doing that, its bolt is tightened.

As soon as the engine runs, the coating on the intermediate gear wears away. This gives the proper amount of gear lash (tolerance).

And, yes, the instructions do note that the BS module gear and shaft can get pushed slightly counterclockwise (as seen in that picture). That is expected and normal. It is a very small amount.

I think VW and/or their suppliers thought this out very carefully and had the computers simulate it considerably before they started manufacturing this design. It would appear that they gave it a lot more thought than the design it replaced. ;)

johnboy00 February 18th, 2009 07:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOGolf

I think VW and/or their suppliers thought this out very carefully and had the computers simulate it considerably before they started manufacturing this design. It would appear that they gave it a lot more thought than the design it replaced. ;)

New VW slogan: "We spend the time to get it right ... the second time":(

sschnath February 18th, 2009 09:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnboy00
New VW slogan: "We spend the time to get it right ... the second time":(

Or they could borrow my favorite line from the computer industry which has roots with Ford:

"Where quality is job 1.1"

oilhammer February 18th, 2009 09:15

Look on the bright side: at least we HAVE a fix! :)

whitedog February 18th, 2009 09:26

"Always look on the bright side of life".

Cue the closing scene of "Life of Brian".

KALaBenne February 18th, 2009 13:39

"He is NOT the Messiah, as a matter of fact he's been a very naughty boy!"

whitedog February 18th, 2009 13:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by KALaBenne
"He is NOT the Messiah, as a matter of fact he's been a very naughty boy!"

What's really funny is that I jut now realized the Oilhammer's name is Brian.

:p

BadgerFan February 18th, 2009 20:38

BS Mod Friday(2/20/09) morning on my 2005 b5

On the way to St. Louis to Oilhammers shop for the BS Mod thursday evening for a Friday morning appt with Oilhammer. I have an 05 TDI passat with 102k miles. Hopfully the OEM BS stays in tact for the 6hour drive.

Leicaman and I are meeting up and comparing noise levels this weekend after the mod.

Will post photos and discuss my experience when I get back:D

Wish me luck

Badgerfan

leicaman February 18th, 2009 20:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadgerFan
On the way to St. Louis to Oilhammers shop for the BS Mod thursday evening for a Friday morning appt with Oilhammer. I have an 05 TDI passat with 102k miles. Hopfully the OEM BS stays in tact for the 6hour drive.

Leicaman and I are meeting up and comparing noise levels this weekend after the mod.

Will post photos and discuss my experience when I get back:D

Wish me luck

Badgerfan

Travel Safe!

BadgerFan February 18th, 2009 20:46

Thanks

Leicaman, we will compare the post mod performance/noise to yours on Saturday.

Badgerfan

leicaman February 20th, 2009 16:19

Sounds like you made it there! Yeah! Oilhammer I am sure got it running perfectly spot on!

Joell February 21st, 2009 05:39

VW Part number for BS mod?

To those who have worked diligently in repairing and educating the TDI owners on the issue of BS modification I would like to ask if there is a VW Part number of some sort of numerical reference to the new replacement gear drive assembly. I have contacted two VW dealerships here in central PA and one major dealer in Maryland and all three deny any knowledge of the BS issue. They have absolutely no information in their computer of parts needed for the modification.
If any of the techs who are doing these modifications have an official VW parts number or list could you please post it?
Thank you!

MOGolf February 21st, 2009 05:46

Go to post #1, download the repair PDF. The parts listing is included.